Load data help please.

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
Nomadic

Load data help please.

Post by Nomadic » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:10 pm

I bought some Everglades ammo 124gr jacketed concave base bullets and have HS-6 powder. My Hornady reloading manual shows load data of 5.1 - 5.9grains, with velocities from 900-1050. The Hodgdon sight shows HS-6 load data for a Berger 124r bullet that starts at 6.0-6.6 with velocities of 1016-1116. Both are listed a s results in a 4" barrel. I will be shooting them in a 3.5" Ruger SR9-c and a 4" Walther PPQ.

I'm thinking that I should go with the Hornady data and start at about 5.3. My biggest question is: Does the concave base make a difference?

description from Everglades ammo website: 9mm 124gr FMJ Bullets. SAAMI Spec 9mm Diameter .618 OAL True jacketed bullets not plated. Please note that these bullets have a concave base.

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Load data help please.

Post by Wulfmann » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:53 pm

It is annoying how the Winchester/IMR/Hogdon site shows such a limited number of bullet types for loads, very frustrating

I had saved their pages for 45/223/308 and 8X57 but was not loading 9MM at the time so have the same problem guessing at loads.

One of the things I do is compare what is similar and then go to the RamShot/Accurate data PDF and find more comparables to help me fine tune a start load then shoot factory ammo and duplicate POA.

file:///E:/Gewehr/ammo-reload%20data/Ramshot_1-23-14.pdf

That PDF has many more bullet types but it too is limited but you should find a good guess to start safely and work up
You will have to copy the above link info to a word file page (How I do it) then click on it as it will show a virus potential and ask if you trust the site. I have opened it numerous times with no problems. it is the official RamShot/Accurate data page

/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!