Anybody try this ammo yet?

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
tector
Life Member
Life Member

Anybody try this ammo yet?

Post by tector » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:11 pm

I do like the "regular" Underwood ammo.

SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

arkhangel5

Re: Anybody try this ammo yet?

Post by arkhangel5 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:42 am

Tector,
When you posted this vid, I watched it and was intrigued, since I carry a .380 as a backup. Chatted with a friend and we decided to test out a box of this ammunition in .380.

We decided to shoot it for feeding reliability, accuracy and thru some homemade ballistic gel to see if it lived up to the hype.
We got the Underwood 90gr Xtreme Penetrator rated at 1100fps, Item#643. The test was done with Glock 42, with the latest magazines.
We shot 1 magazine(6rnds) rapid to test feeding reliability, the rounds fed fine.
Accuracy was very good @7ds.

Then we shot at the gel, 2 13in blocks laid end to end for 26in, we shot the .380's first while the gel was cold. The Underwood's blew rite thru the gel blocks, with a visible cavity in the first block, we did not recover the bullets. Rounds were shot at 5yds

Thinking the gel was too soft, we then shot a WWB personal defense 230gr .45acp JHP into the gel, both rounds penetrated about 16in with full expansion. Both bullets were recoverable. Shot from 5yds out of a Glock 30s

We then shot a Federal 99gr HST JHP into the gel and it penetrated about 13in with full expansion. Bullet was recovered. Shot from 5yds with G42.

Personally I don't think I would carry this ammuntion for self defense, way too much penetration for me, if it performed the same way at a slower speed, maybe, but at 1100fps, not for me. I will stick with the Federal HST's

I will try to post pics of the recovered bullets later. Maybe even the vid.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Wow, thanks for the detailed review. Intriguing!
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Tector,
Here are the vids of the Underwood ammo in .380. Vids in Slo-Mo taken by Iphone 6.

Vid#1: 90gr Xtreme Penetrator, rated at 1100fps into 26in of gel. Shot from Glock 42.

Vid#2: WWB 230gr JHP .45acp. Shot from Glock 30s

You can barely make out the wound track by the Underwood. There is no mistaking the .45 going into the gel and you can see where it came to stop in the 2nd block.

Let me know what you think.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.