New to reloading

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
cigargreg

New to reloading

Post by cigargreg » Fri May 08, 2015 2:05 pm

I just got a Dillon 650XL and brand new to reloading. What are some sites you guys use for information. I want to take this slow and get as much information before I start reloading.
I'm not a complete id***, some parts are missing!

RobsTV

Re: New to reloading

Post by RobsTV » Fri May 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Youtube. But you must view ton's of videos as well as read the comments to see if the video is how things work or should be done. Watch 100's if you have time. Take a lot of notes. Try to combine the best info from each video. When you see something new to you, start googling that and watching those videos.

Go to the website forum for the firearm you wish to reload for. S&W, Ruger, Etc. Many firearms have quirks that only apply to them, and the owners will usually be all over it, while other websites might be clueless. Most website forums have a reloading section and if not, probably best to stay away from that site.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:38 pm

watch the Dillon set up DVD's worth every penny
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri May 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Ditto on the Dillon video

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Fri May 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Congrats on the Dillon 650. You did good. My only advice to you is go slow and resist the urge to load up a thousand of anything.

cigargreg

Post by cigargreg » Fri May 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Yelp been watch the youtube videos before I decided on the press.
I'm not a complete id***, some parts are missing!

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Fri May 08, 2015 8:30 pm

No matter how much you think you know always do a small batch and shoot it before running a large batch.

This becomes even more relevant when you become very experienced and have loaded a half a million rounds +++ and think you are good enough not to do this.

I would prefer not to embarrass myself and give details but instead I will quote Otto von Bismarck:
"Fools learn from their own mistakes, I learn from the mistakes of others"

Please not there was never a famous battleship named "Wulfmann" [smilie=011.gif]

/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:01 pm

Wulfmann wrote:No matter how much you think you know always do a small batch and shoot it before running a large batch.
if you ignore this advice, I hope you also bought a bullet puller [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Sat May 09, 2015 9:48 am

I have worn out a number of bullet pullers and keep at least one extra new as back up.

Either have a good bullet puller or be prepared to throw away ammo [smilie=popcorn.gif]

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

cigargreg

Post by cigargreg » Sat May 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Throwing ammo does not sound like a good hobby.

butcharoot
Contributor
Contributor

Post by butcharoot » Sat May 09, 2015 8:51 pm

Terri at 2nd Amendment Armory puts on a NRA reloading class. http://2ndamendmentarmory.com/2aaclasses.html Butch

cigargreg

Post by cigargreg » Sun May 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks I sent a email inquiring about the class.

Barnmisser

Post by Barnmisser » Wed May 27, 2015 10:08 pm

cigargreg, you are on the right track buying top notch equipment. That is a great first step. I load on a single stage press because I am obsessed with attention to detail and always visually inspect the powder charge((presence and level). With Dillons, they have spent decades refining the progressive until it is almost foolproof. The main things to remember are: make sure every case has exactly the same charge, watch your low powder indicator on the measure constantly and develop a "feel" for the press on each stroke when everything is set up correctly. If anything "feels funny" on a stroke, pull the rounds out of the plate and look closely at them and the press. Sometimes a die or tube wasn't quite tight enough during setup and initial fine tune. Once you get to 50 or 100 finished rounds, write every detail of those rounds on the box or bag and go to your range. Fire ALL of them slowly while watching your paper for every hit and checking the sound and FEEL of every one as it goes through the gun. My first loading buddy almost blew up a Belgian Browning 9mm because he thought he skipped a charge of Bullseye, but had 100 rounds loaded and didn't want to pull them all. Luckily, the primer-only round "felt funny",so we stopped and found a bullet halfway down the bore.
I cannot stress enough the importance of attention to detail and consistency-making EVERY round exactly the same. These are the loading habits that make the difference between a "pretty good group" and putting all of them through one hole.
Wulfmann is right about pullers. Buy one before you load your first round and use it if you have ANY doubt about a round(or
50 rounds). I started in 1974 with a C-H press,Lyman No.55 and a beam scale, and I have never injured myself or a gun.Knock wood.

Good luck and check EVERYTHING twice.(then check it again). Barnmisser
That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy.
It is our job to see that it stays there. -George Orwell

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Casual » Wed May 27, 2015 11:45 pm

When you get frustrated and quit... Go buy a slingshot and zap some squirrels with the large magnum primers... Its like a 40mm grenade for squirrels..
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

creophus
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by creophus » Thu May 28, 2015 7:10 am

Glockpost.com is a great resource.

chris6424
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by chris6424 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:29 am

Start off using the press in a single stage manner rather than progressively until you get a feel for it and get into a routine. Start loading pistol caliber rounds first, less complicated.

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Thu May 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Wulfmann wrote:No matter how much you think you know always do a small batch and shoot it before running a large batch.

This becomes even more relevant when you become very experienced and have loaded a half a million rounds +++ and think you are good enough not to do this.

I would prefer not to embarrass myself and give details but instead I will quote Otto von Bismarck:
"Fools learn from their own mistakes, I learn from the mistakes of others"

Please not there was never a famous battleship named "Wulfmann" [smilie=011.gif]

I can relate... Had to go buy a .223 case gauge to determine the good from the bad (20 out of ~500.)

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Thu May 28, 2015 3:46 pm

"Start off using the press in a single stage manner"

Better yet, sell the fancy Dillon, and buy a single stage press. Way too many things to wrong if you start with a 650.
Go Trump!

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Thu May 28, 2015 4:41 pm

The 650 is a great machine and i would never agree with selling it.

However, I do believe one should have a single stage press.
There are just so many things one can do with a good RCBS Rock Chucker.

You may need to play with case lengths or seating depths for a particular load and using the 650 is impractical
I have 2 Dillions but also 2 single stage presses.

A single is really where you should start but by no means dump the 650, that is for high volume

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Thu May 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Dave P wrote:"Start off using the press in a single stage manner"
As Dave P said, learn each stage/die of the press independently, as if it were a single stage press, before you start cranking out a finished round with each pull of the handle. After a couple hundred rounds "one step at a time", once you're comfortable with each step, then start cranking them out in volume.

Congrats on your purchase, now go slow at first & become one with the press.

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well