Florida Doe for the Freezer....Yum UPDATE- 9 Pt. Buck

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
Capt_Jerry

Florida Doe for the Freezer....Yum UPDATE- 9 Pt. Buck

Post by Capt_Jerry »

Doe season in Zone C-4 this year was November 16 through November 19. I managed to sit in my stand out back at the house a few mornings. About 8:00AM last Sunday (11.18.18) two does wondered down the trail and stopped in an area where I couldn’t get a clean shot.

Eventually they moved into an area about 50 yards from my stand and I shot at the larger of the two. The doe was DOI (dead on impact) as I was using my Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70 which of course is overkill as it is powerful enough to drop any critter on the North American Continent using the proper load. I was shooting Hornady’s 325 grain FTX LEVERevolution factory loads. The second picture shows the internal results.

The entrance on the right side of the photograph shows damage to the ribcage. The bullet destroyed/vaporized the heart and surrounding area and continued through the deer as witnessed by the hole on the left side of the photograph. I was highly impressed with the rifles performance as named it “Bad Medicine”

On Monday (11/26/18) I decided to set up another tree stand on the property near three large oak trees with plenty of sign around. Beside the oak trees I discovered a rub line on some small pine trees along the property line fence leading away from the oak trees. I put up an old Loggy Bayou climbing stand with some climbing stick ladder steps and additionally secured the stand with a ratchet strap as it is the old steel band type.

On Tuesday afternoon (11/27/18) I thought I’d try out the stand for the first time. I managed to get situated in the stand around 3:45 PM. I saw a couple of hen turkeys’ wonder by and later on a few raccoons getting down from their trees and wonder around the oak trees. The sunset was at 5:30 PM and since the canopy in the woods is thick light was fading fast. At 5:40 I noticed some motion behind one of the oak trees and caught a glimpse of a deer with some horns. He wondered out to the property line fence along the trail and walked into a small opening in the trees just showing his neck and not the rest of his body. I scoped him out with the Redfield 2x7 which is mounted on my Marlin 45-70 GBL.

I made a snap decision and shot as light was at a premium and took a neck shot which I usually don’t take. The impact on the 9 point buck was tremendous and knocked him against the fence where he instantly died. The rifle is overkill I know but has become my woods favorite as I shot it twice this year and have two deer in the freezer.

I ended up putting the deer in the shed for the night as the coyotes are frequent visitors to the area.

Last edited by Capt_Jerry on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog »

Glad you got to "Make" some meat. I have been hunting with the 45/70 for a long time and am a fan but prefer the 300 grain JHP over the ftx.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Nice!
I got one last Monday at my farm. One shot from 50 yards in the morning with my AR. One shot to the brain with Speer 64gr Gold Dot and she dropped like a rock. Entered under the right eye and exited under the left ear. Entrance and exit wounds were not impressive but everything in between was really soft :D She weighed 135 lb. on the old scale.
I used that same Marlin 45-70 on hogs and my favorite load was 375gr WFN cast bullet @ 1,700 fps which I loaded using IMR3031 and it was very accurate and recoil was moderate. That rifle/load dropped every hog on the spot...not one ever took another step when hit. I usually shoot them in the neck or head and every shot was complete penetration including ones that hit the spine. I stopped using it lately as it heavy to carry around and is more rifle than I need for hogs or deer.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Nice shot, great lever gun!
Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog »

Nice!
Rodman

Post by Rodman »

Way to go!! I know when I lived in Micanopy I took several at my place. there are some big bucks up there.