Wyoming Hunting Trip October 2018

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
Capt_Jerry

Wyoming Hunting Trip October 2018

Post by Capt_Jerry »

I returned on Monday from a hunting trip out to the Buffalo Wyoming area. I only drew a Antelope Doe tag and a Cow Elk tag this year and decided to still take the trip. I have a dear friend who lives in the area and is being treated for cancer. We have hunted together forever and thought it would be fun to at least get out with him for a day. Due to his condition we managed to get for a three hour hunt one day. Please keep him in your prayers.

Opening day for elk was October 15 and the weather up in the Bighorn Mountains where I hunted was brutal; deep snow and 8 degrees. Needless to say I was shaking like a dog passing razor blades. The short and long of the 12 days of elk hunting is that I didn't get any shots. The weather moderated later in the 1st.week to a tolerable level.

The same general area after the thaw.

.300 WinMag Elk Medicine

I took a break from the elk hunting and went out for antelope down at town level which is about 4000 feet lower and much warmer. I managed to drop a doe at 265 yards with my .270Win and some Barnes 140 grain TTSX's reloads. The .270 is not what I usually hunt antelope with as I use a 6.8 SPC in an AR15 platform but decided to bring the .270 as a backup for the 300WinMag.

I would rate the trip a success as I had a great time and got to visit with my ailing friend. Hopefully we'll get to do it again and hunt together next year.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Great trip and awesome photos. Your friend is in my prayers. How are those antelope steaks?

The weather there is why I am happy to hunt when I can where my friend lives in Northern New Mexico. It still may snow before Halloween there, but there's a huge difference in the high-country temperatures between the Jemez and the Bighorns.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Capt_Jerry

Post by Capt_Jerry »

Great trip and awesome photos. Your friend is in my prayers. "How are those antelope steaks?"

Thanks for the comment. I personally like dining on antelope. Most reside on the rolling plains area near Buffalo and primarily are sage and other grass browsers. They taste like pre-seasoned venison to a point although the flavor is unique. I had the butcher cut steaks and grind the rest as antelope burgers are delicious