Center fire rifle match

Compete with your fellow FSN Members without leaving your home shooting range. Better known as the "Shoot n Mail."
Project Appleseed

Center fire rifle match

Post by Project Appleseed » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Back due to popular demand, and a little tougher this time, we have a 200 yard center fire rifle match.

Target:
8x8" black square, with a 4"x4" white square in the middle, with a 1" circle centered.
Posted at 200 yards. (will create and post .pdf target if necessary)

Rules:

Center fire rifles in military calibers- .223, .308, .30-06, 7.62x39, 7.63x54, .303brit, etc.
10 rounds, 2 minute time limit.
No scopes- Iron Sights ONLY.
Prone unsupported position- no bi-pods, backpacks or other resting devices. If you know how to use a proper sling, slings are A-okay.

Hits in the black are worth 3 points, hits in the inner white are worth 4, circle hits worth 5, =
50 possible points.

Submissions must include a date-stamped photo of target, along with a brief description of rifle/ammo used.

Submissions will be accepted until February 14th.

Prize: 1-day pass to an Appleseed event of your choice, (in Florida) winner must pay any applicable range fees, and is responsible for providing their own rifle and ammunition. See http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a nation-wide schedule. PM me directly for more details about Project Appleseed.

In the unlikely event of a tie, a tie-breaking 500 yard 'in person' match will be held at the Manatee Gun and Archery Club, with date to be coordinated between those who've tied, and myself. The same rifle/ammo/sight combo used in this 200 yard match *must* be used in the tie-breaker match.

Project Appleseed

Re: Center fire rifle match

Post by Project Appleseed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:49 pm

It was recently brought to my attention that few ranges offer distances greater than 150 yards. Given this, I will attempt to create a target that can be scaled for use at distances <100 yards, yet retain the same difficulty.

For those that have access to a 200 yard firing line, I have created a .jpg target, which meets the description above. (If done properly, the writing will not print, just the squares)

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:43 pm

I will be participating. You're all going down!!!!
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:24 pm

I went today. The 200 yard range was full, so I only shot on the 100 yard range. I have no spotting scope, so I didn't realize what was going on until it was too late. Pretty good groups, but high and left. I'll have to make an adjustment and go out again a bit later...otherwise I'd have like 10 points (if I reduced the target by 50%).

Bummer.

Project Appleseed

Post by Project Appleseed » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:19 pm

As promised, here is a target for use at 100 yards.

Black square should measure 4"x4" if printed properly. Remember to turn off page scaling!

.jpg format picture hosted for free by Photobucket.com

Remember- NO SCOPES! This is an Iron Sight Match.

Project Appleseed

Post by Project Appleseed » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:11 am

First go 'round, next will be with the AR or the SKS.. Might even try some reloads for the PSL.

100 yards, prone with a sling. Romanian PSL (Century Import) 1980 Bulgarian 7.62x54 147gr.
All 10 rounds on paper, but only 6 of them count as 'hits' = 22/50 points.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:52 am

I think you need to check your math.

From what I can see, you should get Image points for anything landing in the white square. [smilie=011.gif]
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

Project Appleseed

Post by Project Appleseed » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Is that it? What, everyone too ashamed of their position shooting to post up a target?

Or is it that no-one wants to do the open-sights?

Someone has to have a rifle capable of beating a com-bloc surplus rifle and surplus ammo!

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:18 pm

I'll give it another go in the next week or so. [smilie=popcorn.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Project Appleseed wrote:
Someone has to have a rifle capable of beating a com-bloc surplus rifle and surplus ammo!
hopefully gonna make the range early next week, I try it with some com-bloc stuff [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Angrist

Post by Angrist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 am

Give me a break, I was up in Virginia.

Hopefully I'll make it to the range this weekend, and try this with my K31. (Problem, though - the Sebastian range only has the bench rest - is that allowable? I can't go prone.)

Personally, I enjoy the open sights - mostly because all of my stuff is mil-surp and thus has no scopes, but still...

Project Appleseed

Post by Project Appleseed » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:18 am

Angrist wrote:Hopefully I'll make it to the range this weekend, and try this with my K31. (Problem, though - the Sebastian range only has the bench rest - is that allowable? I can't go prone.)
By all means, shoot the target to your hearts content from a bench, but be aware that the rules clearly state that this is to be shot from the prone position. Failure to comply with that rule will make your target ineligible for the prize. (You can still win bragging rights though!)

Most ranges will allow you to shoot prone, alongside the bench. (assuming there is room)
They may want to watch for a while, to make sure you're not doing something stupid, but it never hurts to ask... If they ask 'why would you want to do that?!' just tell them that you would like to get in some practice for a mil-surp competition that you'll be competing in...
Personally, I enjoy the open sights - mostly because all of my stuff is mil-surp and thus has no scopes, but still...
Me too- I love shooting the old mil-surp rifles, esp. the Lee-Enfield .303's (I've got a No4 mk1, and a No5 "Jungle Carbine"- both are amazingly accurate, and would be a pain to mount a scope on. The No5 has the 'ladder' click-adjustable rear sight, and is more accurate than I am. Still working out a hand-load for it, or I would've used it for this match.

heavyzee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by heavyzee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:30 pm

hahaha... because u think any of us can even see 200 yards..... [smilie=pdt_xtremez_42.gif]
im legally blind w/o my glasses, and can barely see a target at 100 yards... let alone 200....
‎[Jews] do not tend to explode on buses as a form of revenge; not even in Germany. At most we'll argue with you until you die of boredom.

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Project Appleseed

Post by Project Appleseed » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:22 am

heavyzee wrote:hahaha... because u think any of us can even see 200 yards..... [smilie=pdt_xtremez_42.gif]
im legally blind w/o my glasses, and can barely see a target at 100 yards... let alone 200....

Would you be willing to try your hand at a 300 yard target, with a scope? That'll be the next postal match..

Angrist

Post by Angrist » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:14 am

Would you be willing to try your hand at a 300 yard target, with a scope? That'll be the next postal match..
Alas, I don't have access to the long-distance range at Port Malabar, or I would try that.

I'm not posting a target b/c there's no way to go prone at the Sebastian range (waist-high wall between the targets and the firing line), and I don't really have anywhere else I can go here close to Melbourne. I might be able to ask a friend who owns a small ranch in Sebring, FL, but: 1) it's not exactly a marked distance; 2) having to shoot from prone at a visible target means an upward trajectory - i.e. the bullet's not staying on his property; 3) that's a big favor for me to ask.

Wish I could have done this match.