Postal Match - Pistol Version (5-31 thru 6-9) Winners posted

Compete with your fellow FSN Members without leaving your home shooting range. Better known as the "Shoot n Mail."
Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Postal Match - Pistol Version (5-31 thru 6-9)

Post by Onree » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Mahamotorworks wrote:Here is mine. I shot it with my Sig P226, it was acutally shot with the 357 SIG, not .40 S&W like the target says. It is hard to shoot these things. I know that my rear sight is off but dont have the $200 to buy the tool to fix it so I am waiting to talk to a local gun shop to see if he has one that will work.

I shot it a second time with my M&P, but I was thinking to much of why my slide closes when you slap a mag in it. I got 45 points. I didn't grab the target.

MAHA

I just noticed that the .357 SIG Isn't listed in the Calibers. #-o Do I still quailfy?
Very nice job! Too bad it doesn't qualify. You'll need to shread the target and ship me your gun. Sorry, that's the rules. :---)

No worries. I think we can let it stand. You could get back to the range by Monday night and see if you can do better with another caliber. :-k
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:27 pm

HAL wrote:Shot both matches tonight. I don't think my targets are worth posting... I shot it twice from 7 yards with a SIG226 chambered in 40S&W and a M&P40. I shot 60 points each time. I have shot handguns before but not really in a long time. I would guess not bad for a "beginner". Will post my targets after I get them scanned in the morning.

I think I shot a 45 in the watermellon match. I used MAHAs AR-15, prone. First time shooting it, I had a decent group in the 2 pt area.

HAL.
Not too bad at all! As long as you had fun, mission accomplished! [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:37 pm

I would post our targets, however our scanner has up and died. We'll see if we can take pictures with the camera and post those images. Maybe have to break down and buy a new scanner Saturday.

Needless to say, she's a damn good shot. She used her SIG 220 in 45 at seven yards and scored a 210. She used my SIG X-Five Comp in 9mm at seven yards and scored a 180.

Me, well... I did pretty good scoring a 145 using my SIG X-Five.

We're back to the range tomorrow to see if we can do even better. Ya'll feel free to do the same. Shoot em up!

HeWhoShoots

Post by HeWhoShoots » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:58 pm

On the way to the range now to try my luck!
--Chris

Palmguy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Palmguy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:06 pm

Shot an 85 at 7 yds (as best as I could tell by judging the shots) this afternoon at APHF with my new P30... _: Not fantastic but not horrible either...

Saw someone in one of the new FSN t-shirts on my way out but they were in the range and didn't want to bother anyone. Not sure who it was...

HeWhoShoots

Post by HeWhoShoots » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Just got back from the range. I was going to do both 7yds and 15 yards with my Kel-Tec P11 and Taurus PT99-AFS, both 9mm. However, after doing one target per pistol at 7yds, I was beat! I can usually shoot 200-300 rounds no problem. But those mere 60 shots (plus 6 shots at a warmup target) for this Postal Match beat my but, lol.

Here is my warmup target, used my PT99 at 7yds. One shot per circle. Numbered in order of firing. BTW, I followed the same order on the match targets, except of course I did 5 per target for those.

The first two shots were a bit disheartening, lol. Fortunately, got better after that.

Now, for my 9mm Taurus PT99-AFS at 7 yards, first postal match attempt:

First thing I learned, is that my printer paper makes for terrible precision scoring, lol. Tore it all up. Next time I'll try to back it with cardboard instead of just free hanging from the clip. I hate scoring my own shots...but I'll give it a go.

Target 1: 20 points - oh so close to a 2nd 10 pointer on the ring, but not quite. Two non-scorers #-o
Target 2: 25 points - a bit better, still not a good grouping really. One non-scorer #-o
Target 3: 40 points (almost a 45 pointer) - MUCH better. Two shots at the bottom close to the ring. One is definately in the 10, not sure about the lowest one. Even in person hard to say. I'll call it a 5 pointer in the grand total to be safe.
Target 4: 35 points - slipped a bit, but not a bad grouping. I'm calling that one 10 pointer exactly 50/50, but let me know if ya think otherwise :)
Target 5: 45 points - Woot! *Almost* perfect. Always that one flyer though, lol.
Target 6: 35 points??? - Still a good grouping, just shifted to the left a bit. Hell of a mess to score though, lol. I'll give my self two 10 pointers and the other three I'll score as 5 pointers since it would be hard to prove otherwise.

Provisional Total Score: 200 points

Alright, next I shot my 9mm Kel-Tec P11 at 7 yards, first postal match attempt:

Target 1: 30 points - One non-scorer, just missed it #-o
Target 2: 25 points - Och! Pulled one low big time! #-o
Target 3: 30 points - well, at least each shot scored this time.
Target 4: 35 points - Ack! Pulled one low again #-o Last shot of course, heh.
Target 5: 40 points - Finally, a good grouping. Hard to score though :-k To be safe I'll call it three tenners and two fivers.
Target 6: 25 points - Trigger finger was really getting tired at this point. Slow carefull fire on a P11 takes a lot out of a finger, lol.

Provisional Total Score: 185 points

I was going to do the 15 yards match this trip as well, but I was too worn out.

I'll probably go back this weekend to the Shoot Straight in Brandon and do them then, and maybe give the 7 yards a re-try. Anyone want to join me??
--Chris

HeWhoShoots

Post by HeWhoShoots » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:12 pm

Onree wrote:Needless to say, she's a damn good shot. She used her SIG 220 in 45 at seven yards and scored a 210.
We're back to the range tomorrow to see if we can do even better. Ya'll feel free to do the same. Shoot em up!
Now I'll definately have to go back and try to better my score [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]

Have to say, this is lots of fun. It also helps me focus more at the range, gives a little extra captain steinbrenners to shooting other than just punching holes :ber
--Chris

LurkMastR
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LurkMastR » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:51 pm

HeWhoShoots wrote: First thing I learned, is that my printer paper makes for terrible precision scoring, lol. Tore it all up. Next time I'll try to back it with cardboard instead of just free hanging from the clip. ....
I got pretty good results by taping the postal match target to the bottom of a large silhouette target. So the bottom edge of the small target was close to the bottom edge of the large target. I just grabbed a roll of the painter's masking tape. It worked ok and allowed me to peel it off after I was done in case I wanted to take pics and post them.

Of course cardboard would work too, but it's hard to carry a decent sized piece of cardboard in my range bag. [smilie=011.gif]

Mahamotorworks

Post by Mahamotorworks » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:22 pm

I am thinking about going out on Sunday with my .22 and shoot it again.

MAHA

miamitj
Life Member
Life Member

Post by miamitj » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:32 pm

I went today to try and shoot this but honestly I did not have the patience to cut up the target to individual targets, post them and shoot 5 rounds only to have to wait 20 minutes to replace it with the second target. I tried it but the ADD took over. I did shoot the rifle match but that did not turn out well at all.

I'm going to try and get out to an indoor range and shoot this.
Omi R.

HeWhoShoots

Post by HeWhoShoots » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 am

LurkMastR wrote:I got pretty good results by taping the postal match target to the bottom of a large silhouette target. So the bottom edge of the small target was close to the bottom edge of the large target. I just grabbed a roll of the painter's masking tape. It worked ok and allowed me to peel it off after I was done in case I wanted to take pics and post them.

Of course cardboard would work too, but it's hard to carry a decent sized piece of cardboard in my range bag. [smilie=011.gif]
Great idea! Especially since I ride to the range on a motorcycle :)
--Chris

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 am

HeWhoShoots wrote:First thing I learned, is that my printer paper makes for terrible precision scoring, lol. Tore it all up. Next time I'll try to back it with cardboard instead of just free hanging from the clip. I hate scoring my own shots...but I'll give it a go.

I'll probably go back this weekend to the Shoot Straight in Brandon and do them then, and maybe give the 7 yards a re-try. Anyone want to join me??
Very nice shooting! =D>

The wife and I will be at Shoot Straight this afternoon / evening if you'd like to join us.

Pickup some card stock, it makes for a more rigid target. The standard printer paper is just too light.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:59 am

Palmguy wrote:Shot an 85 at 7 yds (as best as I could tell by judging the shots) this afternoon at APHF with my new P30... _: Not fantastic but not horrible either...

Saw someone in one of the new FSN t-shirts on my way out but they were in the range and didn't want to bother anyone. Not sure who it was...
I agree, 85. Very close to being more!

There's still time to punch some more holes before Monday's deadline.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:01 am

LurkMastR wrote:Of course cardboard would work too, but it's hard to carry a decent sized piece of cardboard in my range bag. [smilie=011.gif]
We had to upgrade to a suitcase on wheels along with a range bag! =D> Scale said 60+ pounds with guns and lots of ammo.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:06 am

miamitj wrote:I went today to try and shoot this but honestly I did not have the patience to cut up the target to individual targets, post them and shoot 5 rounds only to have to wait 20 minutes to replace it with the second target. I tried it but the ADD took over. I did shoot the rifle match but that did not turn out well at all.

I'm going to try and get out to an indoor range and shoot this.
Hope you can make it to the other range. Having to wait 20 minutes would kick my ADD into high gear and not make for a good time. So I totally understand!

HeWhoShoots

Post by HeWhoShoots » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Onree wrote:Very nice shooting! =D>

The wife and I will be at Shoot Straight this afternoon / evening if you'd like to join us.

Pickup some card stock, it makes for a more rigid target. The standard printer paper is just too light.

Just got home from work. If you see this and are still going this evening let me know the time! I'll send ya a PM.
--Chris

LurkMastR
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LurkMastR » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Onree wrote:
LurkMastR wrote:Of course cardboard would work too, but it's hard to carry a decent sized piece of cardboard in my range bag. [smilie=011.gif]
We had to upgrade to a suitcase on wheels along with a range bag! =D> Scale said 60+ pounds with guns and lots of ammo.
[I thought I hit the submit on my previous reply, but it never materialized...]

60+ pounds?!?!? What are you carrying, your entire arsenal? And I usually think how light my range bag feels after shooting 100 rounds or so.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:18 pm

LurkMastR wrote:
Onree wrote:
60+ pounds?!?!? What are you carrying, your entire arsenal? And I usually think how light my range bag feels after shooting 100 rounds or so.
Tonight we had 650 rounds of 45, 550 rounds of 9mm and two brick of Federal 550 .22. Three large bottles of water, ears & eyes and one Buckmark. The other bag had the other Buckmark, SIG 220 and the SIG X-five. That's about a typical setup for us when we had to the range.

I always wonder how someone can goto the range and only shoot 100 rounds. That's just warm up. We shot all but 50 rounds (I think) of the 45. Heck, we may have shot it all. We have 100 rounds of 9mm left and about half a brick of 22 left.

The wife and I shot like crap for the most part tonight with the 9 and 45. I did well with the 22. Will post targets tomorrow.

LurkMastR
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LurkMastR » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Onree wrote:...

I always wonder how someone can goto the range and only shoot 100 rounds. That's just warm up. We shot all but 50 rounds (I think) of the 45. Heck, we may have shot it all. We have 100 rounds of 9mm left and about half a brick of 22 left.

It's simple: if I'm shooting on a lunch break, I'm only at the range for about 30 minutes. Sure, I'd love to stay longer and shoot a whole lot more, but I have to squeeze in range time when I can. 100 rounds is better than none.

HeWhoShoots

Post by HeWhoShoots » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:35 pm

Onree wrote:I always wonder how someone can goto the range and only shoot 100 rounds. That's just warm up. We shot all but 50 rounds (I think) of the 45. Heck, we may have shot it all. We have 100 rounds of 9mm left and about half a brick of 22 left.
I used to shoot ~300 rounds per range trip, but I can't afford that anymore. I can either go several times a month and shoot 60-100 per trip or go once a month and shoot 300-400 rounds all at once. I'd much rather shoot weekly than monthly. I only live about 10-15 minutes away from the range, so it's easy to get there.

I plan on going back tomorrow to reshoot some of the match targets ;)
--Chris