Got Hog?

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 »

It was a roughly 100 pound sow, neck spine shot (dropped it immediately), and I and a buddy cleaned it at his place about 2 hours later. Hung it from his tripod. I let him keep 75% of it for helping me clean it--I had very little freezer space. I didn't know what I was doing, and just added salt until it stopped dissolving (day 1). I didn't add any vinegar, etc. It was a large igloo cooler, full of ice and water. And I poured off the water and added new ice each day. Didn't add any more salt. The meat did turn that white you mentioned, but I thought for sure most of the salt would leach out over the next 3 days with the new ice. It didn't. That still doesn't explain the strong sour sulfurous smell and flavor. But I'm willing to try again someday. Haven't killed one in a few years now, alas.
Member since early Obama regime
HK, Ruger, Browning fan
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Even in Florida summer 2 hours should be okay. I'm not sure about the sulfur smell and flavor.
I guess maybe it could have come from the salt? I know some salt have sulfur but I'm not sure what salt and how much it has.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Try the lemon juice trick next time.

I've used it several times with pigs that were traditionally cleaned, and it worked really well.

Same nasty red water and white meat, without the salt.

On hogs that weigh 40 to 80-90 lbs, my two "Yoots" use some kind of curved tool that has a razor blade in it.

They zip out the straps, and all 4 quarters in about a minute which is about all a pig in that weight range has to offer.

Whats left is a one piece carcass with four forelegs laying on top of it, ready to be dragged out past the tree line.

No guts, nuts, glands, urine or fecal matter involved.

I usually just soak in pure ice overnight then either go ahead and cook, or just wrap and freeze.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Saw this video a couple years ago, sounds like a good way to quickly get the meat in the cooler:

R/Griff
rug357

Post by rug357 »

There are many quick methods but they always leave tenderloin behind... which is the most tender and tasty part of the hog. For me it’s worth the extra effort to gut the hog to get tenderloins. Some people also like to harvest ribs and find them very tasty.
I also feel it’s important that as a hunter I harvest as much meat as possible.

TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

rug357 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:05 pm There are many quick methods but they always leave tenderloin behind.
Tenderloin AKA Backstraps AKA straps = first thing off the pig.

After 4 quarters and the "Tenderloins" are in the cooler, what other part of a 75 pound pig do you normally harvest? (Please dont say ribs or belly!) :roll:
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

rug357 wrote:There are many quick methods but they always leave tenderloin behind... which is the most tender and tasty part of the hog. For me it’s worth the extra effort to gut the hog to get tenderloins. Some people also like to harvest ribs and find them very tasty.
I also feel it’s important that as a hunter I harvest as much meat as possible.
When you’ve got up to a dozen pigs in a trap that need to be processed, the tenderloins and ribs might have to take a back seat Image
Pigs are so bad in some areas, farmers will “cut and drop” them right where they stand and leave them for the buzzards sometimes, if they can’t find someone to give the meat to.
R/Griff
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

rug357 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:05 pm For me it’s worth the extra effort to gut the hog to get tenderloins.
I just noticed this one.

Lay a pig belly down.

Start behind the ears and cut ear to ear.

Cut straight back on both sides to tail.

Peel the hide that you outlined back over the tail.

See those two strip of meat?

That's tenderloins.

I dont understand the need to gut one to get there.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

TC6969 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:05 pm
rug357 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:05 pm There are many quick methods but they always leave tenderloin behind.
Tenderloin AKA Backstraps AKA straps = first thing off the pig.

After 4 quarters and the "Tenderloins" are in the cooler, what other part of a 75 pound pig do you normally harvest? (Please dont say ribs or belly!) :roll:
Actually blackstrap/strap/loin is two long muscle that run next to each side of the backbone. Tenderloin is two small muscles inside the body next to kidneys. Its muscles that’s never used so it’s soft and tender.

TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

rug357 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 pm Tenderloin is two small muscles inside the body next to kidneys. Its muscles that’s never used so it’s soft and tender.
Ok, so its ethical and responsible to harvest as much meat as possible, but how many ounces of meat are you really gaining by dropping 20 pounds of guts on the floor to get it?