Got Hog?

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

TC6969 wrote:
rug357 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 pm Tenderloin is two small muscles inside the body next to kidneys. Its muscles that’s never used so it’s soft and tender.
Ok, so its ethical and responsible to harvest as much meat as possible, but how many ounces of meat are you really gaining by dropping 20 pounds of guts on the floor to get it?
Agree for field dressing, as hot as it is in Florida, not having to gut a pig saves time and lets you get meat in the cooler faster.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

dammitgriff wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 pm
TC6969 wrote:
rug357 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 pm Tenderloin is two small muscles inside the body next to kidneys. Its muscles that’s never used so it’s soft and tender.
Ok, so its ethical and responsible to harvest as much meat as possible, but how many ounces of meat are you really gaining by dropping 20 pounds of guts on the floor to get it?
Agree for field dressing, as hot as it is in Florida, not having to gut a pig saves time and lets you get meat in the cooler faster.
Griff, I have a video of some shoulders hitting the cooler so quick that they're still kicking.

I dont think Youtube will let me post it though
rug357

Post by rug357 »

TC6969 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 pm
Your right, those tenderloins are small so less than a pound on a 150lb hog but my kids love them. I usually cut them out and cook it for my kids when I bring a hog home.
I also never had to clean a bunch of hogs at one time. I usually only shoot one and my friends may shoot one or two and I help clean theirs. I think most I cleaned at one time was 4.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I've watch old-timers make a precise cut right behind the kidneys, reach in, loosen/separate the tenderloins (butcher steaks) with their fingertips, then use a small knife to cut them free from the inside - all without gutting the hog/deer/elk. I've seen it done on all three, by guys who long ago lost count of how many animals they had field dressed.

Said old-timer was usually the one who had said tenderloins for dinner that night or breakfast the next day. :mrgreen:
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)