DeSantis says he supports open carry in audio recorded from gun rights group

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

GOA APPLAUDS DESANTIS SUPPORT FOR OPEN CARRY IN FLORIDA

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 3, 2023

Washington, D.C. Yesterday, Luis Valdes, Gun Owners of America's Florida State Director, took a moment to speak with Governor Ron DeSantis at an event in Jacksonville Beach, FL. Valdes asked the Governor where he stands on Open Carry and whether he supports having it added to HB 543 and SB 150.

The Governor's response was simple and encouraging: "absolutely." He supports Open Carry and would like to see it added to the current permitless carry legislation working through Tallahassee, but he believes the current Republican-controlled Legislature would not be willing to add it to the bills. Hear the Governor's own words right here.

Last month, Floridians traveled from all over the state to the Capitol and testified before the House's Constitutional Rights, Rule of Law & Government Operations Subcommittee. Gun rights supporters told legislators that they wanted Open Carry added to the bill.

Frustratingly, when Rep. Chuck Brannan, the House's version sponsor of the bill, was asked about Open Carry being added to the current text after the hearing, he simply stated, "[the bill] is what it is as it's filed." Despite being both the House sponsor and a Republican who campaigns on being pro-gun, Mr. Brannan's words have been discouraging and hypocritical, and these sentiments have been echoed by Senate President Kathleen Passidomo.

"The Republican Supermajority is refusing to advance true Constitutional Carry legislation, even though the Governor promised to give Florida's voters exactly that, and it's what the citizenry is demanding," said Valdes. "A real Constitutional Carry law will allow law-abiding Floridians and our guests to legally Conceal and Open Carry firearms without a government permission slip."

GOA will continue to invest time and resources in Tallahassee to ensure that Florida gets Constitutional Carry across the finish line, the right way. Read more about the issue in Luis Valdes' recent op-ed in Florida newspapers here, and read more about the racial history behind Florida's current permitting scheme here.

This story was first covered by the Tampa Bay Times, read more here.

GOA spokesmen are available for interviews. Gun Owners of America is a nonprofit grassroots lobbying organization dedicated to protecting the right to keep and bear arms without compromise. GOA represents over two million members and activists. For more information, visit GOA's Press Center.

Luis Valdes, Florida director of Gun Owners of America, said he asked DeSantis at a book tour stop in Jacksonville Beach whether he would support open carry and if he would have it added to current bills.

"Yeah, absolutely," DeSantis is heard to say during a 10-second interaction recorded by Valdes and shared with the Times. "I don't think they're going to do it, but I would absolutely."
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
TACC

Post by TACC »

Absolutely, just saw this come up on my news feed.

Great job sir !!!!!!

Florida

By Romy Ellenbogen, last hr

[https://img]

Tampa Bay Times

Follow

[https://img]In this photo from Feb. 20, 2023, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis waves as he speaks to police officers in the Staten Island borough of New York City. [ SPENCER PLATT | Getty Images North America ]
Gov. Ron DeSantis was recorded Thursday telling a member of a gun rights group that he supports allowing Floridians to openly carry guns in public — a measure that has been publicly opposed by some law enforcement officials and that would go further than any bill now filed for the upcoming legislative session.

Keep up the good fight

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Pensacola News Journal picked it up and is slamming the legislature hard. They're part of the USA Today News Network of papers across the state. So this is also in Palm Beach, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Gainesville, etc....

The Truth About Guns picked it up too.

Last edited by Miami_JBT on Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Desantis knows he has nothing to lose by saying he is for open carry because he knows the rest of the weasel politicians will never push it through

Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

TACC wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:36 pm Desantis knows he has nothing to lose by saying he is for open carry because he knows the rest of the weasel politicians will never push it through

The legislature is now boxed in. Do they defy the most popular Governor in the country? Do they risk pissing off DeSantis voters?
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Miami_JBT wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:08 pm
TACC wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:36 pm Desantis knows he has nothing to lose by saying he is for open carry because he knows the rest of the weasel politicians will never push it through

The legislature is now boxed in. Do they defy the most popular Governor in the country? Do they risk pissing off DeSantis voters?
I think they *will* risk pissing off DeSantis voters but, perhaps, a bit further down the road. Yes, we may very well get Open carry, "this time." But it will mean absolutely nothing if, a few months later (or next year), the legislature enacts "No gun"signs with the force of law. Even if DeSantis vetoes it, could that veto survive an override?

Trust me, I'm not at all opposed to Open carry for those who want it. And it may, very well, offer me one direct benefit in that it takes away some "discretion" from overzealous LEOs that enjoy arresting/harassing people who carry concealed, but accidentally expose their firearm. That said, I can't support OC if the cost is having "no gun" signs with the force of law. Can Gov. DeSantis guarantee he'll veto that, and that his veto will survive an override attempt?
tector

Post by tector »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:04 pm

I think they *will* risk pissing off DeSantis voters but, perhaps, a bit further down the road. Yes, we may very well get Open carry, "this time." But it will mean absolutely nothing if, a few months later (or next year), the legislature enacts "No gun"signs with the force of law. Even if DeSantis vetoes it, could that veto survive an override?

Trust me, I'm not at all opposed to Open carry for those who want it. And it may, very well, offer me one direct benefit in that it takes away some "discretion" from overzealous LEOs that enjoy arresting/harassing people who carry concealed, but accidentally expose their firearm. That said, I can't support OC if the cost is having "no gun" signs with the force of law. Can Gov. DeSantis guarantee he'll veto that, and that his veto will survive an override attempt?
Seriously, I think you are the only person here obsessed with this "force of law" BS. I'd prefer it not happen, but if does, it's not the end of the world. That's the rule in Texas, for example.

Take a valium, man.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

tector wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:49 pm
FfNJGTFO wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:04 pm

Seriously, I think you are the only person here obsessed with this "force of law" BS. I'd prefer it not happen, but if does, it's not the end of the world.
Tell me that after a year of having to gear down/up each time you go to the grocery store, or any other store, for that matter... or any other place where you could carry concealed now but can no longer. You may not think it the "end of the world" and, to be honest, neither do I. But I think it a significant PITA that I don't want to deal with and shouldn't have to.
tector wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:49 pmThat's the rule in Texas, for example.

Take a valium, man.
No Valium needed or desired. I'm only trying to prevent something from happening that could be prevented.. If it does happen, I'll live with it, but while I can still fight it, I'll do my best to fight it. I'd be curious to see how many in Texas and Ohio think it "not the end of the world" than did before it was implemented.
tector

Post by tector »

Great. Now try to make two consecutive posts not obsessing about it.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”