Coalition aims to ban assault weapons by constitutional amendment

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
jned

Coalition aims to ban assault weapons by constitutional amendment

Post by jned »

Two organizations created in the aftermath of February’s shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School have joined together in an effort to ban assault weapons in the state of Florida.

Americans for Gun Safety Now (AFGSN) and Ban Assault Weapons Now (BAWN) say they have combined forces to create a bipartisan coalition to ban those weapons, with the goal being passage of an amendment in 2020.
http://floridapolitics.com/archives/274 ... lt-weapons
Grip Hugger

Post by Grip Hugger »

“assault weapon.” As of yet, that definition remains unclear.
CLUELESS
The shooter formerly called #1Glock30
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

Will be interesting to watch. We can say they have no idea what they are talking about but the liberals sure have put in place restrictions in other states. It could happen here eventually. Quite sad....
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

I don't believe this will ever get anywhere. It would take such a Perfect Storm from a political standpoint, and if it were to get to that, you'd see a civil war, as no one would believe in the results of an election that would precede this situation.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

tcpip95 wrote:I don't believe this will ever get anywhere. It would take such a Perfect Storm from a political standpoint, and if it were to get to that, you'd see a civil war, as no one would believe in the results of an election that would precede this situation.
Careful...that’s what happened in 2016.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Never forget - ours is the only state constitution containing amendments for pregnant pigs and a high speed rail system. That's what happens when you make it too easy to amend - activists have a good chance of getting their agenda before the people, and the amendments are NEVER worded to reflect their TRUE intent.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Because of those it now takes a 60% vote to pass an amendment. And its becoming dubious that an "assault weapon ban" will be sustained by SCOTUS - Kavanaugh has written a dissent against one.

There seems to be an infinite number of gun control organizations spawned at every incident and almost all members are already members of another such group. They try and get media attention, hold marches, rallies, waste money and go nowhere.
Greg

Post by Greg »

The majority of the FL Supreme Court is up for whomever wins the governship. If desantis wins the nra will sue the state and the majority GOP Fl state Supreme Court would file an injunction against it as well. The ballot initiative that is
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Allme

Post by Allme »

You know the 3 day wait is a part of the FL constitution. If I remember they did that because the powers that be felt if it were a law it would be too easy to strike down. Now as of Oct. 1st (correct me if I am wrong) it is unlawful to purchase a bump stock in the state and a person has to be over 21. Strange times we are living in.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Allme wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:47 pm You know the 3 day wait is a part of the FL constitution. If I remember they did that because the powers that be felt if it were a law it would be too easy to strike down. Now as of Oct. 1st (correct me if I am wrong) it is unlawful to purchase a bump stock in the state and a person has to be over 21. Strange times we are living in.
Actually, it'll be illegal to even possess a bump stock or other device that increases the rate of fire . . . there is no grandfather provision.