2019 List of Florida's Gun Legislation

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Miami_JBT

2019 List of Florida's Gun Legislation

Post by Miami_JBT »

The 2019 Legislative Session is upon us and once again, Florida is under Republican supermajority control. This session;'the Senate President is anti-gun Republican Bill Galvano (who took $200k from Bloomberg) and the House Speaker is fellow anti-gun Republican Jose Oliva, who gave SB 7026 a standing ovation when it passed the House last year.

With the State’s Investigative Committee flat out stating that campus carry would have prevent the Parkland massacre and that Gov. DeSantis stating that he would have vetoed Rick Scotts’ and Bill Galvano’s baby, SB 7026. Will pro gun legislation make its way to the governor’s desk? Who knows.

But here is the current list of Pro and Anti legislation currently submitted.

Florida House of Representatives

Pro Second Amendment Legislation
HB 175 - Firearms: Removes provisions authorizing seizure of firearms from persons in certain circumstances; removes prohibition on firearms ownership or possession until removal of firearm possession & firearm ownership disability; removes prohibition on persons younger than 21 years of age purchasing firearms; eliminates waiting period for purchases of firearms other than handguns; removes ban on bump-fire stocks; removes provisions providing for risk protection orders.
This bill pretty much guts SB 7026, restores Floridians under the age of 21 the legal right to purchase long guns. And scraps Red Flag confiscation without due process.
HB 6007 - Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms: Removes provision prohibiting concealed carry licensees from openly carrying handgun or carrying concealed weapon or firearm into college or university facility.
This bill allows campus carry on college or university campuses. It does not make open carry legal. It simply states that if open carry is made legal in Florida. Floridians would be able to exercise that option too if it exists.
HB 6005 - Possession of Firearms on School Property: Revises provisions relating to possession of firearms in student campus parking.
This bill cleans up the language somewhat. It appears to make it apply strictly to students only and not staff. Thus allowing and securing the “secure guns in employee parking lot” aspect of the law for permit holding employees to legally keep a firearm in their vehicle on campus.

Anti Second Amendment Legislation
HB 197 - Concealed Weapons and Firearms: Prohibits concealed weapon or firearm licensee from openly carrying handgun or carrying concealed weapon or firearm into any child care facility.
This bill would make it illegal for a parent or guarding with a concealed weapons permit to carry in any child care facility (like a day care center or pre-school).
HB 135 - Transfers of Firearms: Requires transfers of firearms when neither party is licensed dealer to be conducted through licensed dealer & requires processing by licensed dealer.
This bill would make face to face private sales illegal and require all sales to go through a dealer for approval through FDLE’s Firearms Purchase Program (state background check system). It is Universal Background Checks and one step closer to mandatory registration since UBC wouldn't work without registration. If you want to really get into the bill, click here for my previous coverage and explanation.

Florida Senate

Pro Second Amendment Legislation
None at the moment.
Anti Second Amendment Legislation
SB 108 - Regulation of Concealed Weapons Licenses: Transferring the concealed weapons licensing program of the Division of Licensing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to the Department of Law Enforcement by a type two transfer; creating the Concealed Weapons Licensing Program in the Department of Law Enforcement; redesignating the Department of Law Enforcement as the entity responsible for regulating, and collecting payments and fees from, concealed weapons licensing, etc.
This bill would move Florida’s concealed weapons permit system from the control of an elected cabinet position to an unelected agency. Right now, Anti-Gun Democrat Nikki Fried won the election as Agriculture Commissioner and she has stated that she wants to either gut the system or have it moved to FDLE. That agency has a history of trying to block civilian gun ownership in Florida’s past and this would not be beneficial for Floridians.

So that is what's currently on the docket at the moment. The NRA via Marion Hammer has released a statement that HB 175 is not in any way sponsored by them.
“NRA had nothing to do with that bill or any other bill that has been filed so far this session.” – NRA-ILA, Marion Hammer – January 14, 2019.
Now, does this mean that the NRA won’t back HB 175? Who knows. I sure hope they do. It would be fantastic if they expend their political capital on supporting this bill and slapping Galvano and Oliva in the face with it.

HB 175 and HB 6007 are the two most important bills in my opinion this year and the NRA, GOA, FL Carry, and others need to outright support it. Both are tremendous steps in the right direction. One restores the rights of law abiding Floridians and the other actually further expands those rights.

Let's hope that some actual changes occurs and Florida gets to regain its title as the Gunshine State.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Weird how they want to make sure you can't potentially protect children while also putting Concealed Carry under a nonelected agency.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

The NRA via Marion Hammer has released a statement that HB 175 is not in any way sponsored by them.

"NRA had nothing to do with that bill or any other bill that has been filed so far this session." NRA-ILA, Marion Hammer January 14, 2019.

HB 175 is a pro gun bill that would repeal the gun control passed in Florida last year. I sure hope Marion Hammer and the NRA gets behind HB 175.

But the fact of the matter is, that Marion Hammer, Florida's NRA Lobbyist states that they had nothing to donwith drafting and supporting HB 175 shows you how uninvolved they are. The fact that between last session and now they didn't work with a Representative or Senator to draft a similar bill is appalling.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

That says a lot. Even if they simply attacked the process, accountability and recourse elements, it would help. No one could accuse them of blocking everything but, false charges would be reduced drastically.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Just spoke with Rep. Hill's staff to discuss support for HB 175. The bill to repeal Florida's gun control laws. The staff told me flat out that Marion Hammer needs to retire and that she had no hand in HB 175 being drafted.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Miami_JBT wrote:Just spoke with Rep. Hill's staff to discuss support for HB 175. The bill to repeal Florida's gun control laws. The staff told me flat out that Marion Hammer needs to retire and that she had no hand in HB 175 being drafted.
Thank you for reaching out to them and posting the info here.
avmech

Post by avmech »

Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 pm Just spoke with Rep. Hill's staff to discuss support for HB 175. The bill to repeal Florida's gun control laws. The staff told me flat out that Marion Hammer needs to retire and that she had no hand in HB 175 being drafted.
Thank you my good man!

I fully agree with them that marion hammer needs to (be) retired
I found an excellent gun control law we should all follow. It's called the Second Amendment.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sounds like we as Floridians need to plan a campaign to replace Marion
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009