Build a Range on your property?

SFSGM

Build a Range on your property?

Post by SFSGM » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:58 am

I'm a mechanical engineer and career military guy. Looking to pair up with a land owner (or hunting lease) to build a range for long range shooting & practice in NE Florida / SE Georgia area. I can show you how to shoot with berms for the firing lines and shoot over crops and cattle, etc. it will not take up much space. I have plans drawn for target frames, ranges, etc and can make them fit on your surveyed land. We have a large group of NRA conventional highpower competitors here and they shoot 200,300,600 yards and 1,000 yards regularly. I am thinking to install 4 cantilever frames behind a concrete wall and berm. This would serve as many as 16 shooters in 4 relays. (1 relay shoots, one scores and Preps, 2 relays pull targets - then swap around) this is not new technology or a new idea. We've been traveling to the National Matches as a sport since 1907. There are ranges like this all over the US. Just not one close to Jacksonville or SE Georgia. We have Port Malabar (185 miles) (Cool Acres- 170 miles) Ft Gordon (180 miles) Ft benning ( 180 miles) and Bradford Farms ( 60 miles). Bradford is only open Wed, Sat & Sun and is busy with matches and lots of Sporting Clays. Bradford also has no targets like this. they bring something from home, steel ,etc. no precision targets and pullers for immediate feedback.

I am willing to build (and will retain ownership in case you don't like it later) the target frames if you are willing to move dirt to build berms, etc.
SF-SGM
Retired 18Z 5TW9
Jacksonville, FL &
Illocos, Philippines

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Build a Range on your property?

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:48 pm

I can only tell you that one group here had been trying to build a range for the last 4-5 years, most of the dirt work is completed and they have battled everyone in the county for zoning, EPA, noise issues , all the way to paving the road in to the fire dept has access ....its not easy, be prepared for a long battle and a lot of cash up front.

and P.S. the range here still isn't open , for the last 2 years we keep hearing 6 more months #-o ](*,) :ham'r

dreams easily become nightmares
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

SFSGM

Post by SFSGM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Where is the range? I understand and have been doing this a long time. I ran the matches at Camp Blanding just over 14 years and all of the highpower and smallbore at Gateway Rifle & Pistol Club the same time frame. I've worked with a lot of ranges over the years. It is one thing to build a few cantilever targets and push up a couple of berms for occasional shooting on your own property (where safe, etc) and quite another thing to plan, design, permit, and build a range for a club or for business purposes. Pretty much just as a few guys can get together on a weekend and shoot on their own land in most any rural county in the SE USA, a few frames can be erected to shoot serious practice on. Of course, a lot depends on where the land is, what it faces and adjoins, what the impact area will be configured as, etc.

You have experienced the same headaches and red tape most have in commercial ranges all over the US. There is no shortcut to that. If the locals back it, it will happen and if they don't, it will be a nearly impossible task.

Shoot safe and have a great thanksgiving.
Will
SF-SGM
Retired 18Z 5TW9
Jacksonville, FL &
Illocos, Philippines

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:54 am

SFSGM wrote:Where is the range?
http://outpostrange.com/#
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

SFSGM

Post by SFSGM » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Very nice and lots of progress. How long do you have for a rifle range? Would you consider installing target frames for target pullers? the concept, if you are not familiar is to divide the shooters into relays and have half of them in the "pits" pulling targets and half on the line shooting. After the end of the time or string they swap out. This is a proven manner of running rifle ranges and is place at all military bases and most larger rifle ranges. It is perfectly safe when coordinated properly.
I can send you pictures of these from multiple ranges around ( and folks can still just post targets on the berms in front like usual) the country and I have CAD design drawings on the cantilever target frames. These are simply built and anchored.

still trying to figure out how to post pictures on here...
SF-SGM
Retired 18Z 5TW9
Jacksonville, FL &
Illocos, Philippines

SFSGM

Post by SFSGM » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Ok, here are a couple of pictures of NRA style highpower rifle competition.

Image Image
Image Image

The "Pits" area has a concrete wall and a dirt berm in front of it. Competitors shoot at 200,300,600 and 1,000 yds. With usually 4 relays, two guys take turns (relays) on the firing line shooting and scoring for each other and two guys go to the Pits to pull targets. They use pit phones (land line) or cell phones, or radios to communicate with the line. In slow fire (1 shot at a time) the targets come down with each shot so people can see where they hit, adjust sights, score and ready to shoot again. In rapid fire (10 shots in 60 seconds sitting 200 yds and 10 shots in 70 seconds prone 300 yd) the target is up for the full 60 or 70 seconds and is then pulled down for score and groups.

You might note that in the group picture (Camp Perry, OH National Matches) there are two ranges with 150 targets on one and 100 targets on the other. Usually 1200-1500 competitors. We shoot iron sights at 200,300 and 600 yds and shoot iron sights or scopes at 600 and 1,000 yds in the long range matches.

With a good rifle, training, and good loads you can get pretty good after a while.

If you consider placing two-four of these simple targets on your range you will attract a bunch of people. New folks who have never shot this way will also want to try it. It is the best way to learn to shoot in the wind, adverse conditions and work with mirage and light conditions.

Will Hux
Jacksonville
SF-SGM
Retired 18Z 5TW9
Jacksonville, FL &
Illocos, Philippines