NRA’s newest comment on bump stock ban

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Miami_JBT

NRA’s newest comment on bump stock ban

Post by Miami_JBT »

My article on TTAG about this.

The National Rifle Association has issued an official statement on the Trump bump stock ban.

Now that the ATF has complied with President Trump's virtual order to reclassify bump fire stocks as machine guns, the NRA claims that it was either "let ATF review its prior determinations" or risk even more restrictive action... from a GOP-controlled congress... that could have jeopardized semi-automatic firearms.

The NRA is obviously backpeddling here now that the ATF review is complete and the ban is a reality. The NRA backed the ATF review, which they made clear in their statement at the time.

Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.

Furthermore, Marion Hammer (Former NRA President, current board member and Florida lobbyist) released a scathing email blast to NRA members on October 9, 2017 stated the following:

The "bump-stock" device, used by the killer in the Las Vegas shooting, converts a semi-auto rifle to a full-auto rifle.

It was not until later that information was released disclosing that bump-stocks had been used to convert semi-automatic firearms to perform like full-auto firearms.

In spite of the seemingly noble reason the manufacturer claims for developing it, the bump-stock circumvents federal law. Regardless of the quality and reliability or lack thereof of this device it converts a semi-auto to full-auto when installed.

Do you have any idea how many people were shocked out of their minds when ATF decided bump-stocks were not subject to regulation and APPROVED them for sale and use? That was under the Obama administration for crying out loud. Your mind is forced to run wild wondering why.

Once the ruling was made, what would you expect NRA to do? Do you think NRA should have said, Oh! No, ATF is wrong, ATF made a mistake?

Make no mistake, the NRA has NOT cleared the way for more regulation. If it were not for ATF's wink and nod to the manufacturer of the bump-stock, it would already be regulated under federal law. NRA has tossed it back into ATF's lap where it belongs. NRA has not agreed to any new legislation nor has NRA said we agree with any existing NFA legislation. NRA has not agreed to a ban. NRA has not agreed to anything. NRA simply insists upon enforcing existing law.

It's clear that the NRA supported a ban on bump stocks and a ban is what we now have. What Hammer fails to acknowledge is that the ATF applied existing law when they approved the bump fire stock back in 2010.

In their latest statement, the NRA claims that their push for an amnesty by opening the registry for bump stock owners is proof that they never wanted bump stocks to be banned. But the NRA knows that the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act bars the registry from ever being open for post '86 machine guns to be added. So the push for opening the registry is a fool's errand.

To this NRA life member, this looks like an attempt to shore up support after a bad week of press that included openly supporting the White House's recommendation for red flag laws.

Will the Wayne LaPierre, Marion Hammer, Chris Cox, and the NRA admit that it was a mistake to back bump stock re-regulation/prohibition? Will the NRA join the Firearms Policy Coalition and Gun Owners of America in filing suit against this dangerous, arbitrary re-regulation? Enquiring minds -- and members -- want to know.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
tector

Post by tector »

The problem is, ultimately, if a GOP DOJ wants them regulated, good luck finding 5 votes on the Supreme Court to go against that. You have 4 liberals already, so only one "conservative" needs to defect.

Can you say John Roberts? I think he will take the cover Trump has afforded him in about half a second--he'll "defer" to the ATF's expertise and discretion. And he can say if the ATF "got it wrong," Congress should be the one to fix it. Which of course will never happen.

That is how I read the politics of it.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Democrats may be arrogant, but their strategists are not stupid. What happens if they say, "OK, we'll have an amnesty but you have to register them." You'll get a de facto registry of a bunch of ARs. Why would one have a bump stock if one didn't have an AR? I don't have a bump stock because I don't own an AR. See, how they thought two moves ahead? They'll think of something else to register the rest.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.