3 new gun shops. Volusia Top Gun is customer unfriendly.

RevCharlie
Life Member
Life Member

3 new gun shops. Volusia Top Gun is customer unfriendly.

Post by RevCharlie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:52 am

Since I was away for 2 months I missed all the US1 gun shop openings. Florida Gun Exchange has reopened, another gun shop a little further up the road on the left side, and Volusia Top Gun.

Let me be clear that I haven't been in the second place yet, nor do I even know its name. Hopefully today I'll stop there.

FGE doesn't have much inventory there and crazy prices. Not what it used to be but I believe the Ormond Beach Store has much more stuff.

The "DINGER" is Volusia Top Gun. A couple prices were OK, but everything else is nuts. But that's NOT what I didn't care for, they have an attitude and the store is greedy.

They are charging $7.00 for the background check. When I asked if the check had been raised fron $5.00 to $7.00 the answer I received was a snotty "NO! IT COSTS US TIME AND MONEY TO PERFORM THE BACKGROUND CHECK AND WE CAN'T BE EXPECTED TO DO IT FOR FREE!" Well...great customer service, and a shake down for a lousy $2.00!

My Crystal Ball says they'll be shutting their doors soon enough!
/:f

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Re: 3 new gun shops. Volusia Top Gun is customer unfriendly.

Post by Dave M » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:52 pm

They figure they can screw everybody while the "frenzy" is happening.

I hope it comes back to bit them in the backside.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:45 pm

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

jollymon32
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jollymon32 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Yep, royal screwing, $2 worth....

RevCharlie
Life Member
Life Member

Post by RevCharlie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am

Moe, you are correct.

Now $2.00 isn't even enough for a cup of coffee, but it's the principle. Why not just sneak a couple more bucks onto the already high prices instead of adding $2.00 to the cost of the background check? Or simply charge $1.00 to enter the shop and $1.00 to exit.

By now I'm sure the folks at VTG have seen and read these posts. I'll stop in and ask if it's still $7.00 for a background check, but hopefully they've seen the "Error of Their Ways?"

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Really, what has become of the cost of doing business and building that into pricing? :-k

jollymon32
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jollymon32 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:15 pm

What if you don't pass the background check? How is the gun shop compensated for the time it took up performing the failed check?

You don't like it, don't shop there. But don't bash their policies just because you personally feel they are unjust. The market will decide that on its own; if they are not providing value, they will fail.

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:25 pm

I thought the state mandated the $5 background check, am I wrong and an FFL can charge what they want?
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Waldo1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:00 pm

jollymon32 wrote:What if you don't pass the background check? How is the gun shop compensated for the time it took up performing the failed check?

You don't like it, don't shop there. But don't bash their policies just because you personally feel they are unjust. The market will decide that on its own; if they are not providing value, they will fail.
I totally agree that consumers ultimately vote with their dollars and poorly run businesses will (eventually) fail. I also don't think that everyone needs to learn the same lesson the hard way and I do appreciate a heads-up from another member. I believe that RevCharlie has every right to express his belief that he was treated badly by some douche-weasel at a shop. There is still (for now) a 1st Amendment in this country and the Rev is free to voice his opinion if he wants to. Just like Top Gun has every right to pump the internet-ethers with their own version of reality, like this one from their website:
"At Volusia Top Gun we provide expert service and quality firearms to the Volusia County area and beyond. Our extensive knowledge and hands-on experience will assist you in finding a firearm that perfectly suits your needs and budget. Our team firmly believes in excellent customer service..."
http://www.volusiatopgun.com/

As for, "What if you don't pass the background check? How is the gun shop compensated for the time it took up performing the failed check?" I don't see how that matters. Did that actually happen to Charlie? Isn't that part of their (and every gun shop's) cost of doing business? Is RevCharlie somehow responsible for compensating them for someone else who didn't pass a background check? As long as they are socializing their costs, should I send them a couple of bucks too? Maybe we should take up a collection?
I agree with you that if people don't like their policies then they shouldn't shop there. And I won't.
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." -Harlan Ellison

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:27 pm

jollymon32 wrote:What if you don't pass the background check? How is the gun shop compensated for the time it took up performing the failed check?

A restocking fee? =:wvr

jollymon32
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jollymon32 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:37 am

My point is not so much on vocalizing an opinion. It is the logic behind the idea; that because they decide to price their service a certain way, they 'shaking down' a customer and providing lousy customer service.

I am a business owner and I am constantly figuring out ways to raise my prices. Am I 'shaking down' my customers? I ardently try to provide more value than what I am charging for and attempt to provide a service that cannot be found elsewhere; so far only the customers that cannot afford the firm's rates are the ones to leave (which is also by design as we are trying to cater only to the super large enterprise).

Profiteering is not a dirty word!

Taking your money and not providing value is.

riff_raff

Post by riff_raff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 pm

They are charging $7.00 for the background check.
They charged $1 less than the maximum of $8 that the state allowes them to charge. Although, considering $5 is the norm I would have to agree they are being a little greedy if their prices are also high.

The most I have been charged is $8 but considering I was getting a like new Marlin model 60 .22 rifle for $30 I wasn't about to complain.

One45
Life Member
Life Member

Post by One45 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 am

I've been to VTG once and last time. They had just opened and were not stocked yet. Nonetheless, you
would think they would have rolled out the proverbial "welcome mat" for any new potential customer.
NOPE. No greeting. Owner (I presume) was teaching a young female employee (I presume) how to mark
hang tags on guns. I was the only one in the shop and obviously did not merit anything more than a glance
from the owner (I presume). He was the only other person in the shop besides myself and the female.
I've been a Florida Gun Exchange patron for years and head there for any purchases these days. Good luck,
Volusia Top Gun. =:bye
It's a Gator nation.

PistolMan

Post by PistolMan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 am

RevCharlie wrote: another gun shop a little further up the road on the left side
I think your referring to Cavella's (US1 & 8th in Holly Hill). He's been open a couple of years now and just recently expanded. Good selection of used guns as well as new. His FFL fees are only $20 and that includes the background. There is also a gunsmith onsite.

One45
Life Member
Life Member

Post by One45 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:10 am

PistolMan wrote:
RevCharlie wrote: another gun shop a little further up the road on the left side
I think your referring to Cavella's (US1 & 8th in Holly Hill). He's been open a couple of years now and just recently expanded. Good selection of used guns as well as new. His FFL fees are only $20 and that includes the background. There is also a gunsmith onsite.
Actually, I think the RevCharlie is referring to a very smallish shop that recently moved into the old Cristo's (sp?) Italian restaurant.
However, I defer to RevCharlie as I do not want to poach on his thoughts.
It's a Gator nation.

PistolMan

Post by PistolMan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:33 pm

One45 wrote:
PistolMan wrote:
Actually, I think the RevCharlie is referring to a very smallish shop that recently moved into the old Cristo's (sp?) Italian restaurant.
However, I defer to RevCharlie as I do not want to poach on his thoughts.
I'll be back down in Daytona next week, I'll take a look.

FWIW...FGE opened their Port Orange again.

RevCharlie
Life Member
Life Member

Post by RevCharlie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:44 pm

I forgot all about this! So, needless to say I haven't been back to VTG.

Yes, the other gun shop is in the old Cristo's Restaurant. That's "up the road" from my house, not far from FGE and on the opposite side of the road.

Now I'm not pissing on someone's business. I was simply stating what happened to me when I was there.