The Cite de l’Automobile

Discussions of all things with motors, wheels, wings and ?????
Japle

The Cite de l’Automobile

Post by Japle »

My wife and I went through the Cite de l’Automobile (the largest car museum in the world) in Mulhouse France last week. I loved it. Even she loved it.
They have untold hundreds of cars, many one-of-a-kind, dating back to the invention of the automobile in the 19th century and more Bugattis than you’d believe. It's like a Walmart for gearheads, except nothing's for sale.
The story goes that Mr. Bugatti once refused to sell his most expensive model to a gentleman because Bugatti disapproved of the man’s table manners.
There are only two Mercedes 300SLRs in the world (four were built and Sterling Moss wrecked two preparing for the 1955 Mille Miglia. He won – 1,000 miles over crappy two-lane Italian roads in 10 hours seven minutes and 48 seconds, at an average speed of 98mph) and this place has one of them. It’s judged to be the 2nd most valuable car in the world. The one Moss drove is #1.
If you're ever in eastern France, don't miss this place.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Check out the Wheeler Dealers episode where they restored a Citroen bread truck:

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

I wonder why Citroen and Peugeot don’t do business here.
They’re pretty good cars.
Not too long ago I spotted a brand new Peugeot SUV by Palm Beach International that left me wondering how it made it here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Captain Steinbrenner wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:13 pm I wonder why Citroen and Peugeot don’t do business here.
Not too long ago I spotted a brand new Peugeot SUV by Palm Beach International that left me wondering how it made it here...

https://jalopnik.com/peugeot-citroen-is ... 1822298650
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

Both companies do make some very good cars and vans.
But they are weird to work on.
The average mechanic wouldn't know much about them.
Even when they had a dealer presence in the US they never developed much of a following.
Too bad as they drive very well and are very comfy.
As are the French Renaults. :o
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Captain Steinbrenner wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:13 pm I wonder why Citroen and Peugeot don’t do business here.

Peugeot used to be in the USA in the 70's-80's. My father had bought one of the first passenger Diesel Peugeots with the Truck battery to start it. And then he traded it for the first Peugeot "Turbo Diesel" cars... both Automatics.

When did they leave the US Market?