First timer. Henando sportsmans club action rifle.

Discussions and notices of various shooting disciplines.
WhoUtink
Executive Member
Executive Member

First timer. Henando sportsmans club action rifle.

Post by WhoUtink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:16 am

Saturday I shot my first ever shooting contest. The action rifle event at the Hernando County sportsman's club and it was totally awesome. I was hesitant to enter because I have no experience shooting like this other then standing on the range and firing at one target directly in front of me.

First for me ever trying-

Kneeling
prone
moving
multiple target
running
crawling'
through windows and doors and around other obstacles.
200 yards (wow I was amazed I hit anything, but it is nice to know I could hit a man sized target easily with no magnification, the targets were much smaller)
weak side ( also amazed at me hitting anything)

This was a great experience for me. If was lots of fun and i learned a lot. Like, don't show up first thing in the friggen morning without eating breakfast and bringing plenty of fluid while sitting in the 93 degree heat for 6 hours. Not eating and it being so hot made me shakey but as the day went on, I thought of how this was good thing, because if the skills practiced are ever needed I have done it at more challenging times, kind of.

I came in 18th over all out of 42, can't wait until the next one. Link to the results http://centralfloridasection.com/index. ... &Itemid=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Hernando rifle august 2010
great stuff and junk

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Re: First timer. Henando sportsmans club action rifle.

Post by g.willikers » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:42 am

An excellent show, especially for your first time.
If the winner's score is disregarded, (his was way out in front of everyone, which kind of skewers the results),
then the scores for the rest of the field are more normal looking for a match.
Then your score was in the upper third, a solid performance for the day.
Tell us more about the match, the equipment needed, entry fee, rounds required, stage designs, 'etc.
Curious minds want to know more.
Action rifle matches are scarce anywhere near us.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:43 pm

g.willikers wrote: Tell us more about the match.
yea, what rifle did you use, what did everyone else use ??

I have always wanted to go and somehow always forget about those.

specs about the actual match are here :

http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/H ... nrifle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

WhoUtink
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WhoUtink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:53 pm

I used A BCM middy ar, all bcm upper and lower, moe stock, moe grip, stock round hand guards, with an aimpoint H-1 on a LaRue lower 1/3 mount. I not sure of the brands of rifles others were using, but in my group about 14 people, everyone used ar's except one guy was using a bullpup that looked just like a p-90 but loaded through ar mags on the bottom. There was one guy that said he was going to use his ak, but he wasn't in my group and I didn't see him again once the groups split up and went to the different stages. A lot of guys had scoped rifles, a couple aimpoints and eotechs, the bullpup guy had a reflexive sight Like the doctor optic, not sure what you call it.

All I brought with me was some lube, a chamber brush, two p-mags, the gun, about 200 rounds of brown bear(said on the website 160, so i just grabbed a handfull) , bottle of gatorade, and 10 bucks. Some people used chest rigs, and some had mag belts, but I and more then a few others just put the extra mag in their back pocket, I probably won't ever use a mag belt in real life so I don't see the point of having one unless it is a requirement for something I want to do in the future. Most of the stages only required one mag and if you got an A-zone hit on every shot, which would be 6 points, you will use less than 30 rounds per stage. Most every body there were just using hammers because if you get two in the B-zone (just out side of center mass of the target) you would get 3 points for each. I did hammers on every target until i got to stage one I decided i was going to shoot once per target and ended up getting 4 B-zone hits so that was 4 misses. 10 seconds per miss. Aimpoint is 2 inch off the bore, so I was shooting just under the a-zone the targets were really close on that one.

These videos will give you a good idea of the courses. These are not mine and not from this Saturday. I'm pretty sure they change them almost every time they meet, not sure as this was my first one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlIfvm2Ts2s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07P3RVdgadk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNtT72vPLhw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stage 1 was a run and gun, 1 target through 1 window and the next window you hit 3, run across an opening hit one target in the window, then there are two hidden behind a table. Run down a make shift 20 yard hall way, with four door ways, two on each side and with 2 targets in each doorway. at the end of the hall was about another 25 yard run with 2 target hidden behind two berms, at the end turn left hit one and then turn around and hit the other one. Funny thing the way they explained this one, "Hit all the targets. Shoot the make shift barriers and its a dq" LOL

Stage 2 was in front of a fake building also. three windows, there were three clay pigeons to the right about 25 to 30 yards and 2 steal targets out at 155 yards. One slightly hidden behind a barrel and one in the open and one completely behind a pallet, you could only see the tiniest speck of orange have to shoot through the pallet. And one steal target about 50 60 yards out to the right, had to hit all four steals thought each window once. Kill all three clays, and then run to a table about 10 to 15 yards to the right, and kill five more clays out to the left about 55 yards out.

Stage 3 was table on the left and a table on the right with 5 different size plastic culvert pipes in between them, there was 1 target for each table and 1 for each pipe you had to get on your knees or go prone to shoot through. 7 shots going to the right on what would be my strong side and then seven shots going left off the left shoulder. Prone and crawling shooting weak side are these guys crazy? LOL, I did really well on this one though.

Stage 4 was just like the one shown in the first video with about 18 targets, but they had three culvert pipes in the center which you had to hit 3 target though in each prone or kneeling.

stage 5 was 4 steal targets at 200 yard line. they were about 25 to 30 yards apart from each other. Had 3 tables of different size and one rug with no support so everyone went prone there. Had to hit the 4 steal targets once from each station, and shoot a 4 different pieces of paper at fifty yards for each station indicating you were there. I cant believe how well I did here, 29th place but I was amazed. One of the steal targets it was the second one from the left, I don't know how big it was but I swear was no bigger the 8 inches, It looked like a damn baseball from 200 yards. I could not see it at all behind my 4 moa dot. But I hit this one no problem but could not hit the next one to save my life, and it was much bigger and directly in front of the table I shot at it about 13 times.
great stuff and junk

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 am

sweet write up and thanks :ber
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks for the write up, it helped a lot. I'll be going next Saturday for the rifle match, im a little nervous but once I get there, I'm sure I'll be fine and shoot okay for beginner gun and gunner

scottly
Life Member
Life Member

Post by scottly » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Holy Old Threads, Batman!!!
Suppose you are an idiot. And suppose you are a member of Congress.
But I repeat myself. ~ Mark Twain

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:38 am

It's encouraging to see that there was/is enough interest in this match that it's still going, four years later.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:57 am

g.willikers wrote:It's encouraging to see that there was/is enough interest in this match that it's still going, four years later.
that match runs monthly and still has 30-40 shooters show up, even after the great ammo panic they had 25 or more shooters dropping 200+ rounds for months

always the 2nd Saturday at 9am

what sucks is they started a .22 version and it was awesome, I felt like a kid at a plinking carnival, but lack of support cause it to drop, now with .22 so hard to find they will probably never resume [smilie=012.gif]

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:16 pm

How long does it take to complete the full match? how do they score it?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Jonathanw wrote:How long does it take to complete the full match? how do they score it?

I'd say from 9 till about 2:30 ish, depends on how many squads and and many people in each squad....it all depends on when you sign up, if they used the Ipsc targets you have to neutralize it with a certain score, sometimes its 6, sometimes its 4 pts, just have to know how many pts. you need , that might be accomplished by 2 to the A zone or 2 to the chest and one to the head ?? or 3 to the belly ??..the total just have to add up to neutralize the target

sometime you're shooting steel plates, sometimes its knocking over bowling pins off a log 75 yds away or breaking clays at 25 yds....some stages are set up with hostage targets, or no shoots, don't feel bad if you nick one, there are collaborators in every bunch [smilie=011.gif] .

they rotate the shooting order, so don't be afraid to talk to the score keeper guy and ask to be moved down the roster that way you can watch others shoot it first, sometimes you can avoid the mistakes that they make. [smilie=033.gif]

one time I shot a match and they had a version of El Presidente, which is basically where you start with your back to the target and then on the buzzer, turn and shoot a bunch of targets double tapping up and back down the line, well anyways the first 4 shooters all got DQ'ed ( dis qualified ) because they drew the gun and then spun around, breaking the 180 safety rule, sometime speed gets the best of folks, that's why I said concentrate on shooting it clean and not your time.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Jonathanw wrote:How long does it take to complete the full match? how do they score it?

I'd say from 9 till about 2:30 ish, depends on how many squads and and many people in each squad....it all depends on when you sign up, if they used the Ipsc targets you have to neutralize it with a certain score, sometimes its 6, sometimes its 4 pts, just have to know how many pts. you need , that might be accomplished by 2 to the A zone or 2 to the chest and one to the head ?? or 3 to the belly ??..the total just have to add up to neutralize the target

sometime you're shooting steel plates, sometimes its knocking over bowling pins off a log 75 yds away or breaking clays at 25 yds....some stages are set up with hostage targets, or no shoots, don't feel bad if you nick one, there are collaborators in every bunch [smilie=011.gif] .

they rotate the shooting order, so don't be afraid to talk to the score keeper guy and ask to be moved down the roster that way you can watch others shoot it first, sometimes you can avoid the mistakes that they make. [smilie=033.gif]

one time I shot a match and they had a version of El Presidente, which is basically where you start with your back to the target and then on the buzzer, turn and shoot a bunch of targets double tapping up and back down the line, well anyways the first 4 shooters all got DQ'ed ( dis qualified ) because they drew the gun and then spun around, breaking the 180 safety rule, sometime speed gets the best of folks, that's why I said concentrate on shooting it clean and not your time.
Thanks for the awesome write up, at least I know what to expect when I'm there. My set up is going a AR15a1 20in barrel, with a trijicon TA31 on the carry handle so I can use both optic and irons if need be. Is the barrel length going to be issue?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:18 pm

no will help you on the 200M stage 1, and on stage 4 where shots can be 125-150 m

the magnification will work out fine, I used to run an Aimpoint T-1 , a lot of the guys use the 1-4 Ar scopes

I wish I could make it but they postponed the AK Files shoot till the 20th and I can only make it to one event this month

you'll probably get hooked and come back next month [smilie=011.gif]

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:no will help you on the 200M stage 1, and on stage 4 where shots can be 125-150 m

the magnification will work out fine, I used to run an Aimpoint T-1 , a lot of the guys use the 1-4 Ar scopes

I wish I could make it but they postponed the AK Files shoot till the 20th and I can only make it to one event this month

you'll probably get hooked and come back next month [smilie=011.gif]
Okay thanks, I bet I will get hooked as long as the ammo supplies last lol

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:36 pm

a couple extra questions lol sorry to be a PITA

Is it worth buying match grade ammo or is will regular brass do the job just fine?

How often is a Mag change? I was thinking of just having a back up 20 rder in my holster instead of a 30rder

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Pizzim » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:47 pm

A 2nd mag will be helpful on a couple of the stages, as for match ammo I would say no. I've shot it cheap wolf more times than not ... Heck stage 1 with a SBR and wolf ammo is always fun. Sadly I won't make it there this weekend but I bunch of friends will still be there, it's a great match.
"you cant miss fast enough to win" " Don't slow down, Just aim faster"

Two Brothers Armory FFL 07/02
www.twobrothersarmory.com

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:57 am

Pizzim wrote:A 2nd mag will be helpful on a couple of the stages, as for match ammo I would say no. I've shot it cheap wolf more times than not ... Heck stage 1 with a SBR and wolf ammo is always fun. Sadly I won't make it there this weekend but I bunch of friends will still be there, it's a great match.
Thanks just wanted to be sure, :) hope to see u at the next one.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:10 am

unless you reload and then you really don't get time to pick up your brass, just shoot the cheap Wolf stuff, its all sugar sand anyways

there are brass rats that would stop shooting and follow you around if they saw you shooting expensive match grade ammo [smilie=011.gif]

don't forget a camera, someone will always film you while you're shooting just ask, some guys take turns, some use it as a tool to look back and see where that can improve or what they did wrong and correct it

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Woah, what an awesome day :) definitely nervous on my first stage(stage 3) as soon as the buzzer went off, the adrenaline kicked in and had a blast :) I did very good shooting on the long range targets. My best stage was stage 4 shooting all the steel at 170 yards, I did struggle with the close up stuff but I figured out what I need to do after watching my video back. The scores will be posted tomorrow, hopefully I'm not last lol only downside about today is getting pulled over by the cops on the way to the match #-o thankfully no ticket