IDPA..........Wake up call

Discussions and notices of various shooting disciplines.
iansolender

Re: IDPA..........Wake up call

Post by iansolender » Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 pm

_:

Welcome to IDPA.. And yes it is VERY addictive!

Enjoy yourself and have a great time... Shoot Straight!
Ian
IDPA - GSSF - Steel Challenge - USPSA

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Thu May 15, 2014 7:01 am

Shoot straight? WTH's that about?

[smilie=011.gif]

Dave

iansolender

Post by iansolender » Thu May 15, 2014 10:31 am

Just an expression... How about "May all your shots be Down Zero!" [smilie=cheers1.gif]
Ian
IDPA - GSSF - Steel Challenge - USPSA

Robert

Post by Robert » Thu May 15, 2014 11:32 am

iansolender wrote:_:

Welcome to IDPA.. And yes it is VERY addictive!

Enjoy yourself and have a great time... Shoot Straight!

The local match I shoot is Mondays and Tuesdays at work sure seem harder now [smilie=012.gif] much slowwwwwer paced
This space intentionally left blank

ADulay

Post by ADulay » Thu May 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Robert wrote:
IDPA, what a wake up call to my actual shooting skills
Robert,

You know, I hear that a LOT from guys who first come into the sport. In fact any of the shooting sports will usually bring up a comment like that.

At least now you know what I've been rambling on and on about with regards to "static range" shooting and the various shooting sports!

Seeya out there on Monday! It'll be the battle of the Glock 23's among our small band of pirates this week I think.

AD
NRA Life - IDPA - ABATE - AMA
Viet-Nam Helicopter Pilots - Life
Open Carry advocate - Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Instructor

Robert

Post by Robert » Thu May 29, 2014 5:36 pm

ADulay wrote:
Robert wrote:
IDPA, what a wake up call to my actual shooting skills
Robert,

You know, I hear that a LOT from guys who first come into the sport. In fact any of the shooting sports will usually bring up a comment like that.

At least now you know what I've been rambling on and on about with regards to "static range" shooting and the various shooting sports!

Seeya out there on Monday! It'll be the battle of the Glock 23's among our small band of pirates this week I think.

AD

Missed you on the memorial day fun shoot Andy, where I brought what seemed like the smallest gun for a change, I don't know who walked away with cash but I know who didn't [smilie=041.gif]
any winners on here?

narcosis2001

Post by narcosis2001 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Wife and I started IDPA/USPSA about 2 months ago and love it... You do get hooked after the first time as it is a blast, but it also lets you know how bad you are too lol.
You can hit a paper plate all day at 50' at a static range, then come and miss your second shot at 15' or get a "D" hit
Seems as soon as the buzzer goes off the brain goes dead also [smilie=011.gif]

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri May 30, 2014 5:49 pm

narcosis2001 wrote:Wife and I started IDPA/USPSA about 2 months ago and love it... You do get hooked after the first time as it is a blast, but it also lets you know how bad you are too lol.
You can hit a paper plate all day at 50' at a static range, then come and miss your second shot at 15' or get a "D" hit
Seems as soon as the buzzer goes off the brain goes dead also [smilie=011.gif]
what size groups do you have up there?

I believe we're close to 50 weekly and there always seems to be new people showing up

narcosis2001

Post by narcosis2001 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Depends, Friday night averages about 30-35. then the weekend matches are from 60 easily.
Same thing with new people. I think once you try it you're hooked.
If you do it right it's kinda costly to get a good setup, but what is cheap that is fun to do? [smilie=011.gif]

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Sat May 31, 2014 7:44 am

It really doesn't have to be expensive to get geared up for the matches.
But a lot of new folks think too much about the equipment.
No need.
It's really more about skill than anything.
And acquiring that costs only time and effort.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Robert

Post by Robert » Sat May 31, 2014 6:03 pm

narcosis2001 wrote:Depends, Friday night averages about 30-35. then the weekend matches are from 60 easily.
Same thing with new people. I think once you try it you're hooked.
If you do it right it's kinda costly to get a good setup, but what is cheap that is fun to do? [smilie=011.gif]
I figured with your more populated area you'd have more than us but two nights? nice...

g.willikers wrote:It really doesn't have to be expensive to get geared up for the matches.
But a lot of new folks think too much about the equipment.
No need.
It's really more about skill than anything.
And acquiring that costs only time and effort.

My initial costs were relatively low, already had pistol, using a cheap (crap) holster, mag pouch, but I run 50.00 each shoot with ammo, match fee and fuel,

but its all good [smilie=cheers1.gif]

I am attempting to put together a Coonan rig for ESP, but on my retail paycheck its still a bit in the future before I'm running it _:

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:10 pm

Anyone who got a gun show permit, bought a pistol cause it looked cool and still has half of their original box of ammo, (Don't laugh, there's a lot of them!) needs to go shoot at least one match.

Actually, I think instead of the shooting requirement that they have now, one should be required to have a certified RO witness them shooting a basic IDPA stage before receiving their permit.

The beginners fantasy of engaging and prevailing against 3 gang bangers in the check out line at Publix would vanish if they saw how hard it is to shoot and take three steps at the same time!
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:29 pm

TC,

If you're implying IDPA is anything more than a game that involves shooting holes in paper targets and some how translates into training for self defense I would strongly disagree with you. Sorry, it's a great game with some stupid rules but, it's just a game.
It offers as much self defense training as Monopoly offers training in accounting.

BTW how the hell did you dig up a posting from a year and a half ago??

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Dave.

I merely stated that IDPA shows you that its much harder to shoot when you're not standing in one spot aiming at one stationary target, and would be a good alternative to the "load and shoot one bullet" requirement that we have now.

I never said that it represented any kind of training whatsoever. =:wvr

There are a LOT of people who need to be shown how bad they suck and how bad they will perform when the moment of truth comes for them!
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:53 pm

And I dug up the post because it was only number 14 on page one.

This forum doesnt move very fast.

Magnus DUX
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Magnus DUX » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:15 pm

DaveM wrote:TC,

If you're implying IDPA is anything more than a game that involves shooting holes in paper targets and some how translates into training for self defense I would strongly disagree with you. Sorry, it's a great game with some stupid rules but, it's just a game.
It offers as much self defense training as Monopoly offers training in accounting.
Getting a quick plan of action, changing the plan when something goes wrong, having different obstickles, making multiple fast reloads, shooting as fast and accurate as possible, shooting from all imaginable positions- I'll take this "non training" USPSA/IDPA over 99.99% of your "tactical training classes"
/:f

Dragracer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragracer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:19 pm

Ditto! [smilie=cheers1.gif]
Magnus DUX wrote:
DaveM wrote:TC,

Getting a quick plan of action, changing the plan when something goes wrong, having different obstickles, making multiple fast reloads, shooting as fast and accurate as possible, shooting from all imaginable positions- I'll take this "non training" USPSA/IDPA over 99.99% of your "tactical training classes"
Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.

ADulay

Post by ADulay » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:18 am

Of all the things I've heard from "new shooters" at any of the shooting venues (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc) I've never heard anyone say "This sucks and I'm never coming back!"

Everybody who gives it a try gets something out of it even on the very first day.

For most, it's the realization that they're not really as good as they believe from years of static range shooting. Luckily, most take it for what it's worth and come back again and give it another try at the next match. There's just something about the first time you're standing there by yourself, sidearm at the ready and that timer goes off. Hopefully you'll have a few friends along to help with the transition from a "static range shooter" to a "shooting sports participant".

What I get a kick out of is watching the brand new shooter getting better every week. No, they're not going to win any tournaments, but their overall gun handling skills, mindset and focus just improves as the weeks roll on.

What does a new shooter to a shooting sport have that most gun owners don't? They at least TRIED something that may just help in their overall skills with a sidearm. Lots of time I hear "I never shot with my weak hand before." I've never moved away from a target and kept shooting.

For anyone thinking about giving the shooting sports a try, be sure to bring a shooting friend along so you can both take part. It will make it much more fun for the both of you.

AD
NRA Life - IDPA - ABATE - AMA
Viet-Nam Helicopter Pilots - Life
Open Carry advocate - Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Instructor

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:26 pm

ADulay wrote:
For anyone thinking about giving the shooting sports a try, be sure to bring a shooting friend along so you can both take part. It will make it much more fun for the both of you.

AD
if anything to film it for the memories or to watch later and see how you can improve

I can also see where it goes wrong, I personally got fed up when the rules were slighted for some shooters who were all buddies with the timer score keeper guy, and not the same rules across the board....not scoring a miss the same as non neutralized or purposely missed target.... scoring questions on the line...etc...... I never wanna be in a squad with gamers again =:wvr , put me in with the not so serious crowd and lets have fun.....the guys so worried about score and time, take most of the fun out of it.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Magnus DUX
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Magnus DUX » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:49 pm

Rentprop1 wrote: I never wanna be in a squad with gamers again =:wvr , put me in with the not so serious crowd and lets have fun.....the guys so worried about score and time, take most of the fun out of it.
I would call "Gamers" the guys who are trying to "game" the stage within the rule book limits- like cutting the corners, finding alternative positions, air-gunning 100 times. Thats a positive "gaming". It would include most of Grandmasters and Masters in USPSA and I have no problem with that.
The ones you described I call cheaters.
/:f