Thursday night pistol league.

Discussions and notices of various shooting disciplines.
Japle

Thursday night pistol league.

Post by Japle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 am

My Thursday night pistol team is leading the league. We’re now undefeated at 10 and 0.

Our team score last night was 399 out of a possible 400 - the highest score I can remember seeing.

The playoffs start next week, but I’m playing a concert and won’t be shooting. If my team wins, I’ll be there for the rest of the playoff series.

John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Thursday night pistol league.

Post by g.willikers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:05 am

The target looks to be about 8" diameter, yes?
What is the distance you all are shooting?
Curious minds want to know.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Japle

Re: Thursday night pistol league.

Post by Japle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:56 pm

g.willikers:

Six shots in 12 seconds to the head (4") at 15 and 20 feet, starting with the gun on the bench and one hand at head height to show ready.
Six shots to the body (8") at 30 feet in 12 seconds, 40 feet in 15 seconds and 50 feet in 20 seconds for a total of 30 shots.
The range uses turning targets. A perfect score is 100 and points are subtracted for hits outside the scoring rings.

I know that sounds easy. Before my first match, I thought it was impossible to miss.
I was wrong.
By the time you get your gun up and get your first shot off, 2-3 seconds have passed and you don't want the target to turn before you get all your shots off, so that cuts a second or two off your available time. If you can't get a pretty accurate shot off every 1 1/2 seconds or so, you're in trouble.

Quite a few shooters, for reasons I don't understand, shoot revolvers. The great majority of those wheelguns have unremarkable factory triggers and the shooters shoot them double-action. They often fail to get all six shots off in the allotted time, which knocks 5 points off per shot. We see a lot of "skidders" where the bullet hits the target as it's turning. Those are almost always outside the scoring ring and sometimes off the silhouette completely.

Some revolver shooters try to use the lightest handload possible, but there's a big problem with that. When a round fires in a revolver, pressure builds as the bullet starts to move. This pressure pushes the primer back against the recoil shield, partially out of the primer pocket. With a normal load, the pressure immediately pushes the case head flush with the recoil shield and re-seats the primer. If the pressure is too low, the primer doesn't get re-seated and the exposed primer jams the action. Trying to explain this to the shooter is usually an exercise in futility. They love their light loads and don't want to crank up the power.

Anyway, last Thursday we won our first match on the Playoff elimination ladder. This Thursday, if we win the first match (Match 9), we shoot a second match against the winner of Match 10. If we win that one, we'll be the Thursday Division Champs. Then it's on to the next week when we shoot against the Tuesday champs (best 2-out-of-three) for the overall title.
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand