What Do I Have?

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Re: What Do I Have?

Post by mjmensale » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Update on the Sauer pistol.

In my searching I found a group called the German Gun Collectors Association out of Utah. http://www.germanguns.com/ I contacted them and got put in touch with a fellow named Jim Cate in Tennessee who is their handgun guru. After some back and forth bantering I sent him the pistol and he discovered the striker (firing pin) was missing! He managed to find a replacement and the pistol is now in working condition for the first time in probably 65 years. The safety now works also.

The only issue is the slide holdback doesn't function because it wore out its detent in the slide. The guy offered to sell me a replacement slide that functioned correctly but I opted to keep the original one for historical purposes.

Time to pick up a box of .32 and see how this 85 year old shoots.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

ab4ka
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ab4ka » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:20 pm

mjmensale wrote:Time to pick up a box of .32 and see how this 85 year old shoots.
My granddad is 84 and he shoots real good! [smilie=011.gif]

Glad you were able to get it working. It seems that there's always someone, somewhere that can get the old stuff going again.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

WillRuss

Post by WillRuss » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for the update, Moe. I was wondering what had happened to that old Sauer. Please post a picture when you can!
Don't poke the BEAR!!

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Another update on the Sauer pistol.

I actually managed to get out and shoot with a couple of friends today at Delray Shooting Center. I bought a box of Speer Lawman .32 FMJ. No +P stuff in this gun. Set up the pistol target at 25 feet and let loose. What a blast. The little Kraut put all the rounds on the paper. Not all on the target but all on the paper. The sights on this thing are atrocious at best. You can barely make out the the slot on the rear sight and lining them up takes a bit of work. Accuracy really isn't that bad with a two-handed grip but this is more of a point and shoot gun for close range work. There was hardly any kick to it but it did make nice fireballs with the short barrel. _:

Not to bad for a gun that hasn't been shot for at least 65 years. [smilie=cheers1.gif]
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:40 am

Maybe it's not the 85 year old sights, but the 75 year old shooter?
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:40 am

wakkoss wrote:Maybe it's not the 85 year old sights, but the 75 year old shooter?
I'll let you know when I hit 75. It'll be a while though.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:10 am

Next Tuesday is hardly "a while"!
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Finally got pics.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Fri May 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Post pics of that in Rent's unusual thread.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 pm

I accept full responsibility for resurrecting this nearly 3 year old thread but I though I'd post some pics of the bayonet I had asked about even though it's now sold. It's an original Carl Eickhorn German Army Model 1939 “long” dress bayonet used by the enlisted military for formal occassions. My dad brought it back, along with the pistol, from Germany in 1945. It's in really good condition but isn't something I cared about for collectability.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 pm

This will probably be my last contribution to the C&R forum because I don't have anymore strange s';t lying around! [smilie=011.gif]

Anyway, when dad returned home from WWII in 1945, his duffel bag had the JP Sauer & Sohn Model 1913 7.65mm (.32 cal) pistol, the Carl Eickhorn German Army Model 1939 “long” dress bayonet and this little gem in it. I never paid much attention to it because I thought it was just a piece of junk. Well, actually it is but I found out that people collect these things. It's called WWI Trench Art.

This item is an original example of Imperial German Army WWI Trench Art, so-called because they were supposedly fashioned during downtime in the trenches. This item is a letter opener with a handle fashioned from a piece of shrapnel attached to an Iron Cross replica mounted to a dagger style blade. The overall length is 8 3/4” with a 4 1/2” blade. It has not been cleaned.

The handle is a piece of shrapnel (yes, it’s magnetized) from a spent projectile that appears to have part of the casing still attached as seen just above the cross.

The Iron Cross replica has a “W” in the center for Kaiser Wilhelm II and what appears to be a crude depiction of a crown above it, as the real Iron Crosses had. There are no dates or other markings visible.

The steel blade is in good condition, with some bending to the blade tip. There are some nicks, pitting and wear to the edges and the surface of each side of the blade. The blade and cross both show scattered darkening, patina and aging.

I've put it up for sale because I don't collect these things but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing it. I never heard of the term Trench Art before but Google has. Amazing what you learn with each new day!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:51 pm

was the shrapnel just attached to the blade in place of a wood handle ?? :-k
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 am

Rentprop1 wrote:was the shrapnel just attached to the blade in place of a wood handle ?? :-k
No. These aren't common desk utensiles that just have the handles swapped out. All of these are one-offs that were assembled with whatever components were available. Obviously, there was lots of shrapnel laying around but anything could be used for the handles. I've seen some using demilled machine gun and light artillery shells and even those brass knuckes with the spikes. The blades could be from anything and all different sizes. The Iron Crosses were popular to use but weren't required. The whole Trench Art concept is quite interesting.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:18 pm

sweet I sold some of my stuff to this guy Wittmann

http://www.wwiidaggers.com/
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.