What the Heck is a Curio And Relics FFL?

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
ExGrndPounder

Post by ExGrndPounder » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:10 am

I have a friend up in Alabama who was inspected by the ATF. You can arrange to meet in a public place like a library or as my friend did at McDonald's. They will only go to your home to check your collection if they find something wrong in your records log book.
NRA Life Member
DAV Post 112 Life Member
AMVETS Post 78 Life Member

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" Eleanor Roosevelt

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:13 am

for a 03 C&R license the ATF can inspect your records only once per year and must give you notice. You have the option to do it at your home or at the local ATF office. They are not required to inspect your collection, or enter your home for any reason, unless you invite them in.

razorbuc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by razorbuc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:06 am

I just applied.....I think.

I filled out the form,and it says I've sent this info the the ATF,but then nothing happened...It doesn't tell me when or who to pay,or what to do....hmmmm.I guess they just contact me?,with the next step?...feeling dumb,or i've just been boned by my computer... =:vio
"I just don't want to get killed for the lack of shooting back"

ExGrndPounder

Post by ExGrndPounder » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:12 am

I knew you could order the form packets online at -

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

I didn't know they were fillable online and could be submitted that way too. If al else fails you can go to the link and have the packet sent to your home for filling out. Pretty easy and fast.
NRA Life Member
DAV Post 112 Life Member

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" Eleanor Roosevelt

razorbuc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by razorbuc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks,I'll give it a shot.. =en

Tried again...

I just got into the ATF phone system...did a three person pass-off,and left a message....I dont' feel very hopeful at this point...but I'm still smilin' so far... :ber
Last edited by razorbuc on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

razorbuc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by razorbuc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Well,I just talked with the ATF on the phone,and I don't have much confidence in getting the packet they are supposed to send.

You were right,they don't do it online,even though it looks like you can order it online.They acted like I made a mistake by expecting it to be done online.
No big thing,but it sure was kind of a strange ordeal on the phone. #-o
Last edited by razorbuc on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TampaShooters
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TampaShooters » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:45 am

BOUND BOOK Question...

What does this mean? Does it have to be a manufactured bound book, or can we use a Firearms Acquisition and Disposition Record form in, say, a three ring binder or make one ourselves?
Member: NRA Lifetime & GSSF
Glock Armorer
U.S. Navy Veteran (Gator Navy)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

ExGrndPounder

Post by ExGrndPounder » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:35 pm

The bound book can be a 3 ring loose leaf binder or a spiral notebook or something purpose made for the collecting community. It can even be in an electronic format but you must first get your program approved by the ATF. Anything that keeps your records in order. You just have to keep the information required by the ATF which is pretty easy. What is required to be kept is the following:
In the Receipt Section -
1. Manufacturer and/or Importer
2. Model
3. Serial Number
4. Type of Action
5. Caliber or Gauge
6. Date of Acquisition
7. Name/Address/Or FFL of person acquired from
In the Disposition Section -
1. Date of Disposition
2. Name/Address/date of birth of person sold to or the FFL number

That is pretty much it, if I left something out I'm sure somebody will correct me on it.
NRA Life Member
DAV Post 112 Life Member

procrastinator43

Post by procrastinator43 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:33 pm

Simple way:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... spx?p=1694

I'm lazy.

I have called the BATF office a couple times and was treated with quite a bit of respect
Last time was when I received notice that I had left something out on my renewal form. I called to clarify what it was and the lady explained the omission. She said to send back the new renewal and I would get my license. Before the renewal had a chance of getting there, the new license was in my mail box.

razorbuc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by razorbuc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:36 pm

OK,got the packet yesterday,sent it this morning at 8am....got my fingers crossed. =D>

The packet said to mail the second form to our local policia...so I sent it to Jim Coats.I hope they know what it is when they see it.. /:f

razorbuc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by razorbuc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Still waiting to hear back.... /:f

razorbuc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by razorbuc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:52 pm

Got it back today....ok...I'm ready....hmmm..nothing happened.....I thought a ton of guns would nearly kill me falling from the sky,the day I got my liscence...NO?.....daaangg....anyway,C&R pickings are slim now,naturally.BUT...like you guys say...still the discounts,and now I'm not totally at the mercy of the Suncoasters. :ber

Entire gig from Feb. 28 to April 9th....when I sent off for forms,till the liscence hit my mailbox....not too bad.Now,i'm a true amerycan. :ber :ber

/:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f

L4zy

Re:

Post by L4zy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:59 pm

razorbuc wrote:Got it back today....ok...I'm ready....hmmm..nothing happened.....I thought a ton of guns would nearly kill me falling from the sky,the day I got my liscence...NO?.....daaangg....anyway,C&R pickings are slim now,naturally.BUT...like you guys say...still the discounts,and now I'm not totally at the mercy of the Suncoasters. :ber

Entire gig from Feb. 28 to April 9th....when I sent off for forms,till the liscence hit my mailbox....not too bad.Now,i'm a true amerycan. :ber :ber

/:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f /:f
Could you detail more of your experience? Did you submit the forms as an individual? I'm interested to know about the CLEO portion.

L4zy

Re: What the Heck is a Curio And Relics FFL?

Post by L4zy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:44 am

/:f

Sent mine out 8/10, got the license back 8/27!!!!! I wish the ATF could do NFA forms this fast!!!

Brownells, Midwayusa, and a ton of others offer a nice discount for C&R's :ber

taseal
Life Member
Life Member

Re:

Post by taseal » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:50 am

ExGrndPounder wrote:Tony, you are correct about the fees only being $30 for a 3 year license. Thanks for also pointing out the discounts that are available to holders of a 03 FFL.

LZHome has recently acquired his C&R and passed this on to me......."I've only had my C&R for less than a year and about the time I got mine they added one form to the process. "Certificate of Capacity" which is nothing more than a form stating that you are a U.S. citizen. This form can also be downloaded from the BATF... "

If anyone else has anything that should be added please feel free to post a reply. Thank you.
I'd like to add that you don't need to be citizen to have an FFL (at least for the C&R). or a greencard.... you need to have a valid hunting permit, and proof of 90 days worth of residency (FPL bill for example) and an intention to make it your home eventually.

just state your hunting ID, issue state and all, and its all good to go.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Emir

taseal
Life Member
Life Member

Post by taseal » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:13 pm

I'm filling this out right now... about the CLEO thing

I thought about dropping it off, but I'd like to something to prove I have actually done this.

I'm gonna make copies of this form, and then send it certified to Boca Raton PD. I'll put

To: Chief of Police
xxx adress
BATF. Copy of Form 7CE (5310.16)

thats what I'll do. I think its the best way, he doesn't need to sign it or anything
-Emir

taseal
Life Member
Life Member

Post by taseal » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:17 pm

How much is this app? I need to put a amount for on the form for them to charge my card, but I can't find it anywhere
-Emir

ExGrndPounder

Post by ExGrndPounder » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:25 pm

The Federal Firearms License (FFL) became necessary for the manufacture and sale of firearms after the gun control act of 1968 was passed. In order to obtain an FFL, you must file an ATF form 7 with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Below I will clarify the different types of licenses that can be obtained with Form 7 as well as the special operation tax classes (SOT) for NFA firearms.

The FFL license types include:

1. Dealer in firearms: Firearms other than destructive devices. Fee: $200

2. Pawnbroker for firearms: Firearms other than destructive devices. Fee: $200.

3. Collector of Curio and Relic (C&R) firearms: For collecting but not for buying or selling. Fee: $30.00

6. Manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components other than armor piercing ammunition: NFA, destructive. Fee: $150

7. Manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive devices and armor piercing ammunition

8. Importer of firearms and ammunition other than destructive devices. Fee: $150

9. Dealer in destructive devices. Fee: $3000

10. Manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components,
including NFA destructive devices but no other NFA items, and not
including armor piercing ammunition.

11. Importer of firearms, ammunition and NFA destructive devices, but
no other NFA items.

For the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA), the firearms and ammunition classification is:

Class 1: Importer of NFA firearms

Class 2: Manufacturer of NFA firearms

Class 3: Dealer of NFA firearms

Note: All firearms licenses are valid for a period
of three years (3), and are non-transferable.

Hopefully this brief outline will give you a better appreciation for the complexity of obtaining and maintaining federal firearms licenses. However, try not to be dissuaded by this complexity. Take some time to do the research and seek help as needed and you should find that this can be a rewarding and profitable undertaking.
NRA Life Member
DAV Post 112 Life Member

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Don't do it!
It's a trap that let's you spend money and have guns delivered to your own home!!
Once you get one, you will never have money again [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 am

No need to send the PD a copy of the application by certified mail.

Miy copy of the application sent to the PD had "For Information Only" on it. Most PDs wont bother to even keep it but just toss it away after checking that you aren't a known felon as they don't need to do anything and dont care.

As for the ATF inspection, that friend in Alabama is only the 4th I've heard of in 20 years!
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.