Anyone hunt with/reload for .35 Remington?

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
Waldo1

Anyone hunt with/reload for .35 Remington?

Post by Waldo1 »

I hunted whitetails a couple of months ago and carried a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington that had belonged to my Grandpa. It had been in my Dad's safe for about 20 years and when I sighted it in it was dead-on. That 200 Gr. slug would pack a hell of a whallop. The caliber doesn't seem that popular and there doesn't seem to be many of them for sale or around on the web for what I would consider reasonable $$. Is the caliber just unappreciated or undesirable? If you have one, do you reload for it? What is its (realistic) max. effective range with a good load and bullet? Hornady's LeverEvolution ammo looks good on paper.

Thanks,

Waldo1
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

There's a lot of love for the .35 Rem on the Marlin Owners forum:

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/35-remington/

What's interesting is that the rimless .35 was originally introduced in John Browning's semiautomatic rifle that came to be known as the Model 8/81:

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/forums/

There are 200 grain spire tip bullets out there that are appropriate for the box magazine of the Model 8/81, but should be avoided for obvious reasons in a tube magazine rifles, if you decide to reload.

It's very well regarded for deer and bear in the northeast - and would be good medicine for Florida hogs.
gforester

Post by gforester »

I picked up a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem a few years ago at a yard sale. I haven't fired it yet as I was going to get some dies and bullets and load my own. The 35 Rem is still reasonably popular where I summer in NE Alabama and folks that have them really love the caliber. The ammo is about twice as expensive as the 30-30 though.
screenerglenn

Post by screenerglenn »

Mine was refinished by Rent , beautifully. I reload with the Hornaday ballistic tip. Haven't taken any game with it yet but shoots very well. Lot's of savings when you reload for this caliber
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

The .35 Remington is the bull of the woods!
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

I've been reloading for the 35 for about 10 years for my 336 and model 8 (the semi auto rifle it was designed for). I've taken a couple of whitetails with the 336 using 180 leverevers and H4198. What makes it a economical round for range fun is loading it with 158 pistol bullets and you can get velocities of 2500 plus with them. With 140 FTX (leverevers) 2600 plus. I never push these pistol bullet loads but I'm sure using the right powder I could add 100 fps to these cronoed velocities. I hunt mostly now with a AR10 and haven't shot either of the 35s in a couple of years but that will change soon. My son and I will be building a AR15 specifically designed to shoot cartridges loaded with .357 pistol bullets. We have to finish his 7.62x25 AR first but the place he found to mill that barrel will mill the 35 barrel with a shorter throat for the pistol bullets and do it for a very reasonable price.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Mine loves heavy projectiles. Not very accurate with light rounds, but a tack driver with 200's.