BEST sub $1K C&Rs

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

BEST sub $1K C&Rs

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 pm

Hoping to stir up some dialogue to see if there are any hidden gems I might not have considered, particularly among the bolt actions.

Swiss straight pulls, Mausers, Mosins, Enfields, Japanese rifles.

How would you answer someone asking you, "I can only afford 2 or 3 C&R bolties, which ones would you suggest?
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

NorincoKid

Re: BEST sub $1K C&Rs

Post by NorincoKid » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:32 pm

K31's are really neat. Never owned one, but have shot a couple. Well build and accurate. But ammo can be kinda a pain compared other cals.

6.5mm Swedish Mauser. Possibly my favorite bolt action caliber. The two I had were tack drivers. Same as above for ammo though.

There are some pretty neat semi's too though, like the HAKIM, FN49 (7mm,8mm,30-06), etc

I wouldnt mind getting one those Ishapore Enfields in 7.62 someday...

Beck77

Post by Beck77 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:57 am

My C&R rifles:

Swiss K31, it is really a great shooting rifle. Factory ammo is relatively easy to find, and I have reloaded for it.
Husqvarna Swedish Mauser M38 in 6.5, this is the best shooting C&R rifle I own. These are pricey compared to most C&R rifles.
Enfield SMLE MKIII, great shooting rifle, the .303 is a lot like a 30-30 in recoil. I love how smooth the actions are on these rifles.
South American Mausers, a Chilean 7mm Mauser, 1891 Argentine in 7.65x53mm Argentine, and a Brazilian Mauser in 7mm, they all shoot well.
Polish Mauser built for the Spanish Civil war in 8mm that is really nice but really rare. It shoots very well.
Spanish FR-8 in 308 which was a converted Mauser, I liked it but it was light and recoil was high for a 308.
Arisaka T38, mine is beautiful but the barrel is no good and it is inaccurate.

If I were buying 3 C&Rs I would have a K31, one of the 6.5 Swedish guns and an Enfield. If I added one more I would buy one of the nicer and more reasonably priced 8mm guns like the Czech Vz24 or the Yugo M48. I think the South American guns are cool but they are way more expensive than I think is justified.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:36 am

Springfield M1903 thru M1903A3-4
Shoots about any .30'06 rounds commercially available.

Enfield M1917 another bolt rifle that uses .30'06 and is strong enough for about any ammo you can find.

[smilie=cheers1.gif]
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Any of the Finnish Mosin Nagant variants.

I think they have the most fascinating history of any category of available milsurps:

Tiny country bullied by its powerful neighbor, refuses to capitulate to Russia's demands, then takes the enemy's weapons (some previously purchased, many captured or scavenged from the battlefield), improves them by adding better barrels, sights and stocks, and then uses them against their previous owners to great effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Rasheed .....end of thread

I'm probably gonna part with mine but with limited numbers gonna let it roll on GB for max price.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:Rasheed .....end of thread

I'm probably gonna part with mine but with limited numbers gonna let it roll on GB for max price.
I forgot about those. The Hakim's little brother. Very neat rifles.

GLWS, those are hard to come by in good condition :ber

JohnMeridith

Post by JohnMeridith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Im not a very knowledgeable cr guy but i did have a thing for sks's and finn m39s. I have a pretty rare b barrel m39 with a rounded receiver i lucked into off of aim a few years ago.

macgyver

Post by macgyver » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:09 am

Some great rifles listed in here so far. I'll throw my .02 in. Find yourself a nice 1898 Krag rifle. I inherited one from my grandfather and it is by far my favorite C&R rifle to shoot. Smoothest action I've ever felt on a bolt gun.

Chubber
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Chubber » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:23 am

While I love the Swiss rifles too, ammo is hard to find now and might be impossible in the near future, depending on elections.

That said, with $1k and some legwork you could probably pick up one each of a Yugo SKS, an arsenal refinished 91/30 Nagant and a Yugo 24/47 or M48 Mauser. Or one of those plus an Enfield. But shootable Enfields are getting harder and harder to find for reasonable prices.

Another option, while not C&R, might be to get in line to get a Garand from CMP for about $750 plus one of those other rifles.

One C&R that most people don't have is the CZ-82 pistol. It's a fun little guy to shoot....
"I would rather someone was wrapped in the Constitution burning the flag than wrapped in the flag burning the Constitution." - MoxieGrrrl.com

wolfdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by wolfdog » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:02 am

The Swedish Mauser's are not good. In fact as a public service I will take any you have for disposal. Especially Unmodified M-41s, M94s, or CG-63s.
Pretty much every military rifle match I have seen that is open to foreign rifles has been won by a Seede with the next best being about a tie between Swiss rifles or A3-03s.
If you are going to be stupid, you have to be tough.