Mosin M44 Test Fire

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
tomcat522

Mosin M44 Test Fire

Post by tomcat522 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:21 am

Got an m44 a few years ago and finnaly getting around to taking it to the range, it LOOKs good, cleaned all the cosmo out, did a head-space, go/no go check - all OK - question is, im not a gunsmith (but do have some limited skills and range/hunting experiance) - should i have this rifle checked by an 'expert' or just blast away at the range?
Μολὼν λαβέ

Guilty until proven Guilty

_: M2, 223/5.56/300, 54r,39, 9mm,MAK, 12ga

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Mosin M44 Test Fire

Post by Cardboard_killer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:31 am

I'm not an expert, but if there were no signs of corrosion, I'd just shoot it. I had a 91/30 from AIM once and didn't think twice about it. They kick like a mule, though, and the M44 kicks even harder from what I've heard.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

tomcat522

Post by tomcat522 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 am

This M44 is also from AIM and looks basicly in new condition.
Μολὼν λαβέ

Guilty until proven Guilty

_: M2, 223/5.56/300, 54r,39, 9mm,MAK, 12ga

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:59 am

just hold it out away from your face for the first shot , and wear safety glasses [smilie=011.gi

in the old days , we used to strap them down to the bench and use a bungee cord to test fire them, but never had a bad one, just a lot of internet boo boo
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:24 am

I'll add my 2 cents. I have a few of these M44 carbines, including their variants. They are a blast to shoot, but I hope you are a lover of recoil, it's impressive.
Another impressive thing about them is the massive fireball produced, because of the shorter barrel. You need to shoot it at dusk sometime.
There's a storm coming.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:44 am

Just make sure the glop is cleaned out of the bolt, put on shooting/safety glasses and shoot it. It was originally built for an army of peasants, serfs who had never seen any mechanism more complex than a bent nail. It wont blow up as the action is pretty soft, and surface hardened, not heat treated so if you have a gross over pressure it'll swell up instead of shattering.

They had problems back before WWII when a bunch of surplus US made 1894 Mosin Nagants were sold for a couple bucks each, and some gunsmiths just used a chambering reamer to convert them to .30-06, a much hotter cartridge than the Russian original, instead of the more expensive but correct procedure of setting back the barrel. The problem wasn't the pressure but that the back half of the .30-06 case was left unsupported in the larger chamber made for the Russian round and would blow out, wrecking the rifle and blowing out bolt innards, brass, and magazine parts. Aside from those I've never heard of a blowup, even with Mosin Nagants in bad condition.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Lighteye

Post by Lighteye » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:50 pm

Yeah...the fireball and recoil are indeed impressive. I even caught an earful from the guy in the next lane at the range. He relocated himself a few lanes down and gave me stinkeye for the rest of the afternoon. The concussion when under even a plastic tarp roof cover is apparently severe flinch inducing even a few feet away [smilie=011.gif]

Simple, reliable, and the folding spike bayonet on mine helps fix shot "groups" as well when needed.

Due to the increasing level of OA in my shoulder, it's the next thing I'm putting up on the B/S/T forum.
The stupid, it burns.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Lighteye wrote:Yeah...the fireball and recoil are indeed impressive. I even caught an earful from the guy in the next lane at the range. He relocated himself a few lanes down and gave me stinkeye for the rest of the afternoon. The concussion when under even a plastic tarp roof cover is apparently severe flinch inducing even a few feet away [smilie=011.gif]

Simple, reliable, and the folding spike bayonet on mine helps fix shot "groups" as well when needed.

Due to the increasing level of OA in my shoulder, it's the next thing I'm putting up on the B/S/T forum.
I use a Past pad (I think that's the name), or a slip-on recoil pad. I have a few of them, including their variants.

There's a storm coming.