Winchester Model 94 Special Order .32WS circa 1925

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
binHEX

Winchester Model 94 Special Order .32WS circa 1925

Post by binHEX » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 pm

After my dad's passing, I received this rifle. He got it in trade for doing some work for a customer years and years ago.
I know that it is a Winchester Model 94 Special Order .32WS circa 1925. The serial # is in the 900K range.
It has redfield sights, and a shortened magazine tube. It has no saddle ring, but it does have what looks like a factory installed screw in the saddle ring hole in the receiver.
The sights look to have been factory installed.
I have no other information about this gun, as the Cody Firearms Museaum says the factory records for this serial# were lost in a fire in the mid-1960's.
Where can I look for more information about this weapon?
I have questions like, since the wear pattern on the gun shows that it was carried in a saddle holster, why would someone remove the saddle ring? If the ring was replaced from the factory with the screw, why do that?
why would someone want a half-sized magazine tube?
I would love to get more information on this gun.

BTW, it kicks like a mule BUT shoots beautifully!

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Winchester Model 94 Special Order .32WS circa 1925

Post by czharry » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:30 am

Good Pics? In focus.
Are there words on the receiver or barrel?
Barrel length? Round. Octagon. Half octagon?
what is the stock? Checkered, pistol grip, flat or crescent butt, barrel band or fore end cap?
Just a wild guess, but if the half-sized magazine tube only holds 4 rounds, then it was cut to comply with hunting regulations.

:wwp
There's a storm coming.

binHEX

Post by binHEX » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:54 am

@czharry
Sorry, I should have thought to include the pics.
Here is a link to the pics on photobucket.
http://s166.photobucket.com/user/vbsmag ... Winchester

BTW, the Redfield peep sight does not have the aperture disk.
Round barrel. From end of barrel to edge of receiver is 19".
No idea what you are talking about with the different stocks, so I took a bunch of pics of the stock.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:50 pm

In a firearms collectors reference guide that has many thousands of guns, I cannot find info for pre-1963 1894 Winchesters. I really searched.
So far, you have a straight stock, no checkering, no nose cap, flat butt plate, round barrel, not a 'takedown' model, short magazine(I saw others configured like it). And we see that it was designed to use 'smokeless powder' (not black powder).
"Interesting" notches in stock (5 deer?) Could hurt value unless done by famous person.

Your barrel length is wrong, probably 20". Redfield sights probably installed by a smith(hurts value), or maybe not. Hard to tell. The company was known for adding any custom feature a customer wanted.

If you're really interested, subscribe to the Gun Values Board WINCHESTER Forum!
Read and follow the guide at this link.
How to effectively ask a Winchester related question.
Please submit your request with specific questions, and with as much detail as possible.
Please ask all new questions by starting a new topic post.

PLEASE POST PICTURES to help us in evaluating the graded condition of your Winchester. As the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words.", and they are always better than just a written description because we can actually see what you are trying to describe. When taking the pictures, please do not use a cell phone or similar device, as the picture quality is usually lacking. Pictures should be taken outdoors in natural lighting (bright shade) using a light colored background (never use white or black as it causes to much contrast).

Pictures to include with your request: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26 and 32. If they need more, they will ask you for specifics.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/attention ... 79826.html

Disclaimer: I don't know squat about these guns, just what I read.
There's a storm coming.