dark bores in mosins

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
screenerglenn
Life Member
Life Member

dark bores in mosins

Post by screenerglenn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:50 pm

most ( ok, all ) of my mosins have darkened bores, not cleaned appropriately after repeated uses. the rifling looks strong and a patch comes out clean, wet or dry. are these ok to continue to shoot ? any way to make 'em all sparkly again ? glennnnn

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Re: dark bores in mosins

Post by 305tillimoved » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:15 pm

"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:09 am

rust and bluing remover also works, god help you if you get any on the outside [smilie=eek.gif]

follow with oil as normal, they look like crap cause they are not lined and have been shot for years with corrosive ammo and not maintained, just goes to show you there is a lot of hype about corrosive ammo
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:56 am

Electronic bore cleaner will get it out.

Follow up with lots of shooting since the bore may not be shiny, and brushing afterwards with very hot water and a little liquid dishwashing detergent, - I stick the muzzle in a bucket and pour the water/detergent in with a funnel. Nothing else really gets corrosive resiue out and stuff like Windex makes it worse.

Follow with a regular bore cleaner and a greased, not oiled, patch - oil doesn't last unless you redo it every 3-4 weeks. Same holds true for all metal parts - wipe with lightly greased rag, not oil. That's from my long term testing, NOT just an opinion. There was a direct correlation between how thin a lube is and the amount of corrosion that occurred on a Mauser barrel over a 9 month period.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:44 am

jjk308 wrote: with very hot water and a little liquid dishwashing detergent, - I stick the muzzle in a bucket and pour the water/detergent in with a funnel.

I scored an old tea kettle at a thrift shop with a long spout, easy to heat the water to boiling, then walk outside and pour down the barrel, works well for gas system on AK's too after corrosive ammo
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

screenerglenn
Life Member
Life Member

Post by screenerglenn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm

thanks, gonna give it a try

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:13 pm

You might want to try jb bore cleaning compound. it is like rubbing compound for your car.Could it be oxidized copper? f so try bore tech eliminator. Gentle on the bore and does not smell bad. Spousal units hate Hoppes! Sweets works well but can't leave in to soak and smells like ammonia. Too harsh. Sometime penetrating oil like kroil or pb blaster will get under fouling. Time is required. Have patience.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
jjk308 wrote: with very hot water and a little liquid dishwashing detergent, - I stick the muzzle in a bucket and pour the water/detergent in with a funnel.

I scored an old tea kettle at a thrift shop with a long spout, easy to heat the water to boiling, then walk outside and pour down the barrel, works well for gas system on AK's too after corrosive ammo
+1. Why didn't I think of that? :ham'r
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:47 am

jjk308 wrote:
+1. Why didn't I think of that? :ham'r
cause you're an opinionated old guy stuck in his ways [smilie=011.gif]

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:58 am

screenerglenn wrote:most ( ok, all ) of my mosins have darkened bores, not cleaned appropriately after repeated uses. the rifling looks strong and a patch comes out clean, wet or dry. are these ok to continue to shoot ? any way to make 'em all sparkly again ? glennnnn
I have had good luck using Kano's Kroil. I plug the muzzle and fill the barrel from the breech and leave it soak for a few hours in a warm to hot place. Out in the sun or a hot garage. Pull the plug and run a stiff bronze/brass bore brush thru a few times. Repeat this several times. Sweets 7.62 a very aggressive ammonia based copper solvent I use next. Follow the instructions on the bottle faithfully. Sweets is very aggressive. Refill the plugged bore with Kroil when you get sick of the smell from the Sweets. Repeat as needed. DO NOT use a bronze/brass bore brush with the Sweets, nylon or patches only. Sweets will dissolve the bristles.
Years of neglect will not go away in a weekend. The worst bore I cleaned this way took a couple of weekends. I soaked that one all week with Kroil.
Clean after shooting corrosive ammo like you would if you'd been shooting black powder. Lots of HOT soapy water.
[smilie=cheers1.gif]

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:38 am

NOT a fan of ammonia or anything containing it. Ammonia is a very poor solvent for the salts left by corrosive primers, maybe 10% as effective as hot water. What you are using is strictly for copper and you'd best be careful to rinse all of it off as ammonia is a good electrolyte and causes corrosion.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:10 am

I don't know the purpose of the ammonia . I have mixed my own water ,dish soap and ammonia and used it for years after shooting corrosive ammo.
Youa re 100% correct about not leaving it in the bore. I always dry patch followed by oil or hoppes ,then oil. If you are still concerned ,go mix,brake cleaner,dry hoppes,oil. Be careful with brake cleaner. It will remove stock finishes,paint and may mess up plastic. Some of my buddies just go straight to the brake cleaner and one says hoppes will neutralize corrosive salts. I think older formulations of hoppes that is correct but on good authority I am told that what took out salts is no longer in hoppes.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:02 am

DO NOT USE AMMONIA ON STAINLESS BARRELS

Springfield armory recommends Bore Tech Eliminator on it's guns-especially ss.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Ammonia is a copper solvent, and is useless to neutralize the corrosive hygroscopic salts that are the products of the corrosive primer compound.
Penetrating oil like Kroil will get the powder fouling and Sweets 7.62 will get the copper fouling.
Or one can 'polish' out the fouling using JB bore paste.
/:f

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:30 pm

hurricanecharlie wrote:.......... Some of my buddies just go straight to the brake cleaner and one says hoppes will neutralize corrosive salts. I think older formulations of hoppes that is correct but on good authority I am told that what took out salts is no longer in hoppes.
I can verify that Hoppe's will not neutralize corrosive salts. Back in 1978 I fired one round of Nazi ammo in a German milsurp. I cleaned it with Hoppe's & oiled, as usual. A week (or less) later, the bore was corroded. Took a hell of a lot of scrubbing to clean it up. I didn't understand corrosive ammo back then.
There's a storm coming.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:24 pm

P5 guy wrote:
Penetrating oil like Kroil will get the powder fouling
a couple of post s ago, when I was reading that you were filling the barrel with kroil I figured you were a little crazy, at $ 13 a pint there are many other alternatives for removing powder residue and fouling :-k

Kroil is good stuff on rust and stuck s';t, but its not a miracle cure for a barrel [-(

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:14 pm

$13 per pint? Where are you buying? I get gallon cans for $25.
The 'Oil that creeps' has never let me down. There are no miracle bore rejuvenators.
:ber

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Kroil 1 gal. can - $53.85 well it went up since the last time I bought a gallon. /:f

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Kroil or pb blaster penetrate under fouling.
Good for getting lead out of revolver barrels and cylinders and 45 barrels which have been used with lead bullets.
They also will clean up a bore that was used with black powder such as old 45/70 rifles.
Not a miracle but an improvement.
'You can see what comes out on the patches.
Badly fouled and pitted bores or gas tubes i have chucked a rod with brush in a drill.
Worked real well on an fn 49 gas tube -prior owner shot corrosive ammo and didn't clean. :ber