Can anyone remove a mauser barrel??

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
hkinfl
Executive Member
Executive Member

Can anyone remove a mauser barrel??

Post by hkinfl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:51 am

I have a rusty Mauser that could maybe be salvaged with a new barrel. Anyone have the means or know a good technique to get a rusty aftermarket barrel off?

butcharoot
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can anyone remove a mauser barrel??

Post by butcharoot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:24 pm

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:08 pm

If its rusted it's a bear. You need a special wrench with a fitting to hold the receiver without bending it and a barrel vise to grab the barrel tightly without gouging like crazy. Usually you need to use rosin to stop the barrel slipping.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 41623.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 25111.aspx

The end of the wrench head is threaded for an extension bar, which you'll need if rusted, or you can slip a pipe over it.

All in all its easier to pay someone. And you'll need to headspace the new barrel. If its too loose you'll have to pull the barrel and cut some threads and finish ream. if too tight just finish ream. Plus if the new barrel already has sights they probably wont line up and will have to be redone.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:31 pm

buy some Kroil and soak the threads

http://www.kanolabs.com/
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 pm

heat receiver ice the barrel (after kroil or pb blaster treatment)
when applying kroil to threads area tap withnylon hammer will aid penetration unless you dont care about the barrel and use steel hammer

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:17 pm

You might as well take it to a smith. I've seen Mauser barrels that were so tight I had to cut the shoulder off in a lathe, and STILL use some love taps with a mallet on the action wrench.

Since you'll have to headspace it anyway, its easier than risking damaging/twisting the action.

My $0.02

hkinfl
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hkinfl » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03 am

The barrel in there now is an aftermarket replacement, but there is no marking or caliber designation anywhere. I've oiled and disassembled it, the receiver and everything else is not to bad. The barrel could maybe be saved, but not knowing what it is, I figured it would be less hassle to change out the barrel.

I will kroil it up for now to try and get some penetration and see what happens.

butcharoot
Contributor
Contributor

Post by butcharoot » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:19 am

You could do a chamber cast with Cerrosafe or have a local smith do it for you, would be cheaper and that would tell you what caliber it is. Butch