C & R REGISTRATION

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
SCRUBBYJOE

C & R REGISTRATION

Post by SCRUBBYJOE » Sun May 18, 2014 8:46 am

I AM THINKING OF APPLYING FOR A C & R LICENSE. I HEARD OF A FA WEAPON THAT WAS FOUND IN AN ATTIC OF A DECEASED WWII VET. HOW CAN I REGISTER IT WITH THE ATF?

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: C & R REGISTRATION

Post by czharry » Sun May 18, 2014 9:56 am

Your caps key is stuck.
FA is not covered under C&R.
The scenario you describe is a hoax internet tale.
Your caps key is stuck.
There's a storm coming.

BMW GUY
Life Member
Life Member

Post by BMW GUY » Sun May 18, 2014 9:59 am

Villafuego

Post by Villafuego » Sun May 18, 2014 10:38 am

If it isn't allready registered, it can't be........

Make sure you do everything you can to determine if it's already registered (looking for paperwork/etc)

Don't ask questions like that on the internet.........oh....too late...

SCRUBBYJOE

Post by SCRUBBYJOE » Sun May 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks for the responses...The weapon has been given to the County Sheriff for safe keeping. Sound like they will be keeping it permanently...SADDNESS [smilie=012.gif]

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sun May 18, 2014 1:39 pm

there are two ways to deal with such weapons if not under a tax stamp to the deceased
surrender to atf
OR more desirable render it no longer a full auto weapon
this is done by cutting the receiver with torch or grinding wheel t
he width of the cut must meet atf specification so you cant put it back together
unfortunately one scumbag Florida congressman from holly wood by the Name fo Larry Smith was responsible for no new f a after May 19,1986.
he subsequently went to prison where i hope the amateur proctologists stretched out his rectum so he needs a bathtub to take a crap
i do not think the sheriff may keep the weapon since it is not "transferred "to them
guy was selling a sear cut brit fal many years ago,he did not know it was sear cut
when he found out he surrendered it to atf beautiful walnut furniture and pristine parts could have been salvaged
seek legal counsel !
I will say nfa branch is a good bunch of people to deal with

macattack321
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by macattack321 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:45 pm

hurricanecharlie wrote:there are two ways to deal with such weapons if not under a tax stamp to the deceased...
You're forgetting a third (and best) option to do: donate it to a museum via a Form 10. This way, you can write off the value of the firearm on your taxes.

Before doing anything, hire an experienced attorney and have him check the status of the firearm with ATF. You might get lucky and find out it's registered.

macattack321
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by macattack321 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:46 pm

hurricanecharlie wrote:i do not think the sheriff may keep the weapon since it is not "transferred "to them...
LEOs can registered contraband NFA on a Form 10.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Wed May 21, 2014 2:26 pm

I thought I was an experienced attorney and I should have included attorney inquiring status as transferable weapon. If it is not it does put the lawyer in an ethical quandary since if client possesses illegal weapon it is a continuing crime. Perhaps best not to actually see the weapon .then there is only the privileged verbal communication between attorney and client.
Are you sure about the donation aspect?
If it is to Army or other museum of U.S govt I think it is ok. To a private owned museum or foundation you may have a problem.

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Pizzim » Wed May 21, 2014 2:43 pm

I cant remember if there are any restrictions as to they "type" of museum but it is a viable option .... keep in mind the donation value is not hundred of thousands or even many thousands ... the value is generally based off the value of a post sample build so unless its something big the donation value is around 1500
"you cant miss fast enough to win" " Don't slow down, Just aim faster"

Two Brothers Armory FFL 07/02
www.twobrothersarmory.com

Villafuego

Post by Villafuego » Wed May 21, 2014 6:15 pm

macattack321 wrote:
hurricanecharlie wrote:there are two ways to deal with such weapons if not under a tax stamp to the deceased...
You're forgetting a third (and best) option to do: donate it to a museum via a Form 10. This way, you can write off the value of the firearm on your taxes.

Before doing anything, hire an experienced attorney and have him check the status of the firearm with ATF. You might get lucky and find out it's registered.
A form 10 is a "death sentence"........period.....If a transferrable gun gets mistakenly form 10'd guess what?.....it aint transferrable no more.....

If you've done everything to insure it isn't registered, cut the receiver and sell the remains as a parts kit.....at least that way you'll have cash in your pocket, and the kit can be used to keep legal guns running, or rebuilt as a legal semi.....

Most guns donated to museums rust away in the back......never displayed.....

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:54 pm

interesting first 2 posts :-k
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:52 am

czharry wrote:The scenario you describe is a hoax internet tale.
Not. I was visiting a gun shop when a woman brought in a full auto Astra 900 her husband had brought back from Europe and hidden in the attic. She was told to take it to the Armed Forces museum in Dunedin and see if they'd accept it because otherwise it'd have to go to the ATF for disposition.

Another time I walked in and saw a Japanese machine gun sitting on the floor, the type 96, with 30 rd top mounted magazine. Another WWII vet attic job. Bob was getting it ready to ship to the USMC Museum at Quantico as it was 99%, just one small chip missing from the carry handle.

I've also heard a story of an M14 on a farm somewhere in Maryland. Not sure what happened to it but it was a very interesting story about the one time it was used.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.