No.8 Lee Enfield?

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
Sergio88

No.8 Lee Enfield?

Post by Sergio88 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:01 am

A neighbor has offered to sell a Lee Enfield No8Mk1 rifle. As of yet, I have not seen it. He claims it is a .22 rim fire "match" rifle worth $500 or more. Anyone on here have any experience with this unusual firearm?

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: No.8 Lee Enfield?

Post by czharry » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 am

Have you seen it?
Got pics to post? Makes it easier to research it.
What's the condition?
Does it have the mag>
What year?Does it say which *factory it came from?
What numbers, *letters and cartouches on the barrel and stock?

Also, you can look here to see if there's anything relevant.

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/no8-mk1/

ETA. Does it look like these? ^ & > Image

ETA: In 2008, one sold for this, on Gun Auction.
Current Price: $735.51 (Reserve Price Met)
Quantity: 1 lot
Auction Closed: November 2, 2008 08:03:34 PDT
There's a storm coming.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: No.8 Lee Enfield? (reply)

Post by czharry » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Posed you query on gunboards. These seem to be rare to find.

Richard in NY*
Gold Bullet member
Posts 4,550

I paid more than $500 for my No.8 back in the mid '80s, but it could genuinely have been considered rare at the time. A small number have trickled in over the years since, but it's still a very scarce rifle here in the States.

I'm sorry but I have not followed auction prices on the .22 cal. British training rifles in such a long time that I can't offer you reliable, up-to-date pricing, but I would nonetheless be very surprised if a No.8 in nice, matching condition is not a $1000 rifle on today's market.
=======================================================================================

Another guy also replied.

smlemk111

One went for just over $800.00 a couple of days ago on gun broker
There's a storm coming.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:40 pm

I'd be interested if you decide to pass, let me know and put me in touch :ber
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:02 pm

YES! Somebody (with a job) needs to buy this thing ASAP.
There's a storm coming.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:07 am

pm me or send an email
very interested in this gun

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:32 am

:wwp
There's a storm coming.

Sergio88

Post by Sergio88 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks FLshooters!

I t looks exactly like the picture posted on here. Pretty much like new with a few dings in the stock. I told him I would buy it then the price changed a couple of times. He now thinks it is worth $1500, not the $500 he originally quoted. I am negotiating a "cash plus trade." He is checking to see what the LGS will give him for it. Thanks for the links so I could research this interesting gun. Brian Dick, Enfield expert thinks the value is about $6-700 unless New Zealand issue BSA. It is single shot, .22 rim fire and no magazine. I will try to get a photo and post it.

Sergio88

Sergio88

Post by Sergio88 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 am

OK, Got a picture of the rifle. Apparently the LGS told my neighbor the gun was worth about $100 on a trade but would only give $75 cash. Lucky for me no one is selling one of these on any of the gun auction sites at present since that was what both my neighbor and the LGS were using to establish a value. I might still make a deal with this guy. Image

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 am

Sergio88 wrote:OK, Got a picture of the rifle. Apparently the LGS told my neighbor the gun was worth about $100 on a trade but would only give $75 cash. Lucky for me no one is selling one of these on any of the gun auction sites at present since that was what both my neighbor and the LGS were using to establish a value. I might still make a deal with this guy.
OK, lucky you. Don't screw around, grab that No.8, and do it quickly. You already know it's collectable.
If you don't want it, please pass the deal onto FSN members that would give it a good home.
There's a storm coming.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 pm

It has a home here if you don't want it. It will have a nice home with it's brothers and sisters from Canada England Australia and India

Sergio88

Post by Sergio88 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Well, I finally struck a deal. My neighbor who previously I had believed was a reasonable person jerked me around for a couple of days saying he had an online buyer for $1500, then claiming there were "problems" with shipping through a FFL. Ultimately I got the gun for $500 and my old SS Taurus .38 Spl 5-shot snub-nose DAO revolver. I have yet to take it in hand since he wants cash, necessitating a trip to my bank tomorrow. Jeez, I live four houses away--think I would give him a bad check? I have a an other SMLE "trainer" .22, so it will have company even if I can't feed it until standard velocity long rifle ammo begins to show up again. The rifle was made at the Fazackerly factory in 1951 and has the typical Suncorite painted finish and birch stock. It has all matching numbers and a bright bore. There are no import stamps that I have seen and he claims his father brought it here from Canada in the early 70s. I am thrilled that it also has the original Parker Hale 5-D receiver sight. Strange, this bolt is Cockadoodledoo on opening--different than every other Lee Enfield I have ever handled. Thanks to all who helped me with the research on this!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:00 pm

wait a month, lie and tell him you sold it for $ 2000 and would like to take him out for a beer to celebrate [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 am

"Nice" neighbor you got there. Tried to pull a bluff, but you held your ground, and from what I read, the neighbor didn't have to go through the hassle of setting up an internet sale, and you got the rifle. Not taking your check is a bit chickenshit.
Do what Rent said, it'll make the neighbor's head explode.
There wasn't much chatter about this on the Enfield .22 forum when I inquired about it because not many had one, but the prices came from there. Thanked them for the info and posted the particulars about the rifle because they'd be interested.

A member/moderator threw this in: (his opinion).
The sight is worth a good bit. With the pistol thrown in, you have, what, $800 in it? With the sight it's worth $1,100.00, depending on average condition. Some are beat up others are very good.
Ya dun good.
There's a storm coming.