AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
Pak75
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:46 am
Location: Loganville, GA

AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by Pak75 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:20 pm

For those who collect the British rifles. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... me=Enfield No. 5 MK 1 .303 Brit Jungle Carbine
Der Krieg findet immer einen ausweg.

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by NonConformist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:36 pm

NICE! I already have a Fazakerly No5 but if I had the funds id be all over these
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
czharry
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 7782
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:16 pm
Location: Homestead

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by czharry » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:10 pm

I have one from each factory. Both made in 1945. Damn near perfect. Shoulder killers.
Wow, they sure have gone up in price since I got mine.
.
There's a storm coming.

User avatar
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Orlando

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by Gregh181 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:11 pm

czharry wrote:I have one from each factory. Both made in 1945. Damn near perfect. Shoulder killers.
Wow, they sure have gone up in price since I got mine.
Are they accurate?
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by NonConformist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Gregh181 wrote:
czharry wrote:I have one from each factory. Both made in 1945. Damn near perfect. Shoulder killers.
Wow, they sure have gone up in price since I got mine.
Are they accurate?
Yes! Im convinced the 'wandering zero' bit was a ploy to get better weapons, they are shoulder busters for sure
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Orlando

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by Gregh181 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:15 pm

For a first time user would you guys recommend this one or the No. 4?
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by NonConformist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Id get the no5 just for rarity they don't come around too often. If you want something to shoot a lot and that's all your interest is, id get a no4 I love mine and its very accurate
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Orlando

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by Gregh181 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 pm

NonConformist wrote:Id get the no5 just for rarity they don't come around too often. If you want something to shoot a lot and that's all your interest is, id get a no4 I love mine and its very accurate
Mine would be strictly for shooting. Shoot Straight had a No. 4 in Apopka for around $400 or so I believe. Condition looked to be pretty decent
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2854
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:16 am
Location: Jax Bch

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by Dr. Dickie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:52 am

Gregh181 wrote:
czharry wrote:I have one from each factory. Both made in 1945. Damn near perfect. Shoulder killers.
Wow, they sure have gone up in price since I got mine.
Are they accurate?
Not in my experience.
They kick like a mule and while more precise than a AK, not very good at 200 m.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by NonConformist » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:43 am

Gregh181 wrote:
NonConformist wrote:Id get the no5 just for rarity they don't come around too often. If you want something to shoot a lot and that's all your interest is, id get a no4 I love mine and its very accurate
Mine would be strictly for shooting. Shoot Straight had a No. 4 in Apopka for around $400 or so I believe. Condition looked to be pretty decent
Seems high for a no4. Unless all the numbers match(Mag, receiver, bolt) and it doesn't have an import mark or a real nice barrel. I love my No4 they are great shooters
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by NonConformist » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:44 am

Dr. Dickie wrote:
Gregh181 wrote:
czharry wrote:I have one from each factory. Both made in 1945. Damn near perfect. Shoulder killers.
Wow, they sure have gone up in price since I got mine.
Are they accurate?
Not in my experience.
They kick like a mule and while more precise than a AK, not very good at 200 m.
Does it have a proper No5 rear sight? Should only be graduated to 800 IIRC, if its graduated to 1200 its a No4 rear sight. Mine had a No4 and I couldt hit real well, replaced it and it fine. Still suck at using the big peep though so I flip it up
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
czharry
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 7782
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:16 pm
Location: Homestead

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by czharry » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 am

NonConformist wrote:
Gregh181 wrote:
czharry wrote:I have one from each factory. Both made in 1945. Damn near perfect. Shoulder killers.
Wow, they sure have gone up in price since I got mine.
Are they accurate?
Yes! Im convinced the 'wandering zero' bit was a ploy to get better weapons, they are shoulder busters for sure
I would say they are accurate for a military carbine. All my shots were good & consistant, but my crappy eyesight and unfamiliarity with the peep sight was mostly to blame for my "wandering zero".
Another problem & complaint, which I read about, was that the receiver & barrel would be loose in the (old) wood stock.
I read a good report once, that included (historical) references to how the "wandering zero" tale came about. Names were dropped to identify those involved. I guess, in a nutshell, when the No.5 was going through evaluations, there was a newer rifle being developed(a semi?) that the army wanted (and would get them away from the bolt action rifle) but would be significantly delayed if the No.5 was fully accepted.
The decision was made to say that the No.5 was inaccurate when the barrel heated up so they could be rejected for further development, which is what happened.
Image
(repo bayonet)
.
.
There's a storm coming.

User avatar
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Orlando

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by Gregh181 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:40 pm

NonConformist wrote:
Gregh181 wrote:
NonConformist wrote:Id get the no5 just for rarity they don't come around too often. If you want something to shoot a lot and that's all your interest is, id get a no4 I love mine and its very accurate
Mine would be strictly for shooting. Shoot Straight had a No. 4 in Apopka for around $400 or so I believe. Condition looked to be pretty decent
Seems high for a no4. Unless all the numbers match(Mag, receiver, bolt) and it doesn't have an import mark or a real nice barrel. I love my No4 they are great shooters
It's SS so I'm not surprised. What's a fair range they go for?
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2854
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:16 am
Location: Jax Bch

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by Dr. Dickie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:54 pm

NonConformist wrote:
Dr. Dickie wrote:
Gregh181 wrote:
czharry wrote:I have one from each factory. Both made in 1945. Damn near perfect. Shoulder killers.
Wow, they sure have gone up in price since I got mine.
Are they accurate?
Not in my experience.
They kick like a mule and while more precise than a AK, not very good at 200 m.
Does it have a proper No5 rear sight? Should only be graduated to 800 IIRC, if its graduated to 1200 its a No4 rear sight. Mine had a No4 and I couldt hit real well, replaced it and it fine. Still suck at using the big peep though so I flip it up
Yes, mine has the correct sights, as did my friends. Neither were close to as accurate as the other Lee-Endfields.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

User avatar
jjk308
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5590
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Oldsmar, Florida USA

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by jjk308 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Mine is extremely accurate except at 100 yards it'll draw a shallow vertical S curve about 5 inches high and an inch wide as it heats up. Good enough for its purpose I guess.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by NonConformist » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Gregh181 wrote:
NonConformist wrote:
Gregh181 wrote:
NonConformist wrote:Id get the no5 just for rarity they don't come around too often. If you want something to shoot a lot and that's all your interest is, id get a no4 I love mine and its very accurate
Mine would be strictly for shooting. Shoot Straight had a No. 4 in Apopka for around $400 or so I believe. Condition looked to be pretty decent
Seems high for a no4. Unless all the numbers match(Mag, receiver, bolt) and it doesn't have an import mark or a real nice barrel. I love my No4 they are great shooters
It's SS so I'm not surprised. What's a fair range they go for?
Id try and get them down to $300 id only go higher and no more than 350 if its an all matching nice example. Less if you can! ,303 ammo is regularly coming in, Sellier and Bellot make it as well as Privi Partizan and you can get it in FMJ and Soft nose Lead for around .75cent a round, but when you find it buy it as it may be out for a little while until they get more. Its good non corrosive ammo
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
jjk308
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5590
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Oldsmar, Florida USA

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by jjk308 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 am

Reload. I got spoiled by 5 cent a round .303 - had a half dozen SMLEs at one point, and reloaded when the milsurp dried up. The brass is weak so load light and neck resize only or they wear out quickly. On some No. 4s the chambers are oversized so I had to color code the base of each case to the rifle I shot it in. Cases last 8 or 9 reloads and with gas seals you can use cast bullets for really cheap shooting. A lot of the supposedly .303 bullets are undersized .310 to .311 so they can be used in Mosin Nagants too. SMLEs really prefer .312 bullets for accuracy..
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by NonConformist » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 am

jjk308 wrote:Reload. I got spoiled by 5 cent a round .303 - had a half dozen SMLEs at one point, and reloaded when the milsurp dried up. The brass is weak so load light and neck resize only or they wear out quickly. On some No. 4s the chambers are oversized so I had to color code the base of each case to the rifle I shot it in. Cases last 8 or 9 reloads and with gas seals you can use cast bullets for really cheap shooting. A lot of the supposedly .303 bullets are undersized .310 to .311 so they can be used in Mosin Nagants too. SMLEs really prefer .312 bullets for accuracy..
I used to shoot mine all the time but .303 isn't cheap or readily available anymore. I use S&B when I can. Fortunately I stocked up on 1k of mil surp Brit MkVII ammo when I could just in case. I only shoot new factory ammo from my No4 as the barrel is pristine, my no5 has some pitting already when I got it so I just flush with water/windex but rather not even run corrosive in my No4
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
jjk308
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5590
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Oldsmar, Florida USA

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by jjk308 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:21 am

NonConformist wrote:
jjk308 wrote:Reload. I got spoiled by 5 cent a round .303 - had a half dozen SMLEs at one point, and reloaded when the milsurp dried up. The brass is weak so load light and neck resize only or they wear out quickly. On some No. 4s the chambers are oversized so I had to color code the base of each case to the rifle I shot it in. Cases last 8 or 9 reloads and with gas seals you can use cast bullets for really cheap shooting. A lot of the supposedly .303 bullets are undersized .310 to .311 so they can be used in Mosin Nagants too. SMLEs really prefer .312 bullets for accuracy..
I used to shoot mine all the time but .303 isn't cheap or readily available anymore. I use S&B when I can. Fortunately I stocked up on 1k of mil surp Brit MkVII ammo when I could just in case. I only shoot new factory ammo from my No4 as the barrel is pristine, my no5 has some pitting already when I got it so I just flush with water/windex but rather not even run corrosive in my No4
Just brush out with hot water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. The ammonia in Windex is useless as corrosive salts wont dissolve in it.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: AIM has No. 5 MK 1 Enfields

Post by NonConformist » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:31 am

jjk308 wrote:
NonConformist wrote:
jjk308 wrote:Reload. I got spoiled by 5 cent a round .303 - had a half dozen SMLEs at one point, and reloaded when the milsurp dried up. The brass is weak so load light and neck resize only or they wear out quickly. On some No. 4s the chambers are oversized so I had to color code the base of each case to the rifle I shot it in. Cases last 8 or 9 reloads and with gas seals you can use cast bullets for really cheap shooting. A lot of the supposedly .303 bullets are undersized .310 to .311 so they can be used in Mosin Nagants too. SMLEs really prefer .312 bullets for accuracy..
I used to shoot mine all the time but .303 isn't cheap or readily available anymore. I use S&B when I can. Fortunately I stocked up on 1k of mil surp Brit MkVII ammo when I could just in case. I only shoot new factory ammo from my No4 as the barrel is pristine, my no5 has some pitting already when I got it so I just flush with water/windex but rather not even run corrosive in my No4
Just brush out with hot water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. The ammonia in Windex is useless as corrosive salts wont dissolve in it.
Ill try that.
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply