My C&R expired can I now destroy my bound book

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
Dalton Wayne
BANNED

My C&R expired can I now destroy my bound book

Post by Dalton Wayne » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I have no plan on renewing so I've heard when you give it up you no longer have to keep your bound book is this true?????
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, sometimes we just snuggle.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: My C&R expired can I now destroy my bound book

Post by czharry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:44 pm

I kept mine, it's good way to keep a list of all my C&Rs over the years. Sort of like a "historical" document.
Not that it would ever happen, but if there's a late night knock at the door, with a few guys with BATF vests on, I can always go to the storage boxes and dig it out.
There's a storm coming.

PistolMan

Post by PistolMan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Dalton Wayne wrote:I have no plan on renewing so I've heard when you give it up you no longer have to keep your bound book is this true?????
This is copied directly from the C&R FAQ page:

Q: Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition/disposition records to ATF if their collector’s license is not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity?
No. The GCA requires the delivery of required records to the Government within 30 days after a firearm “business” is discontinued. A license as a collector of curios or relics does not authorize any business with respect to firearms. This is in contrast to firearm importers, manufacturers, and dealers who are licensed to engage in a firearms business. Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed collectors under the law and regulations are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collectors’ licenses are not renewed or collecting activity under such licenses is discontinued.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4), 27 CFR 478.127]

The link is: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios- ... bound-book

Dalton Wayne
BANNED

Post by Dalton Wayne » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Good to the shredder they go
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, sometimes we just snuggle.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW