just picked up an m38

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
gsracer

just picked up an m38

Post by gsracer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:15 pm

So Ive been wanting an m38/m44 for a while to shoot all this ammo i have laying around and popped into a local pawn and they had one on the wall, was able to negotiate it down to 175 plus tax. Overall I'm pretty happy an think i got a decent deal.

What i know so far..

Its an Izhevsk M38

Stamped 1943..

The bore looks shiny, not pitted and the rifling is good as new. All the numbers match on it, and the action is super smooth.

I don't know anything else about these rifles, i know there are laminated and wood stocks? M44 stocks.. which i think this one is.

Just curious if any of you mosin folk that know more about them than me can help me out... also did i get a good deal?

pics

screenerglenn
Life Member
Life Member

Re: just picked up an m38

Post by screenerglenn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 pm

sounds like a good deal. you now have the first episode of mosin-itis. have fun and if it's not to your liking, let me know. glennnnn

cdigman

Post by cdigman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Couple thoughts and advice: The wood, and finish look really nice! I definitely like the brass on the upper hand guard. M38's were frequently fitted with M44 stocks when they were rearsenaled. An M44 stock has an inlet on the upper right side of the stock, where the bayonet would rest, when in collapsed position. Did you get the sling with "dog collars" with it? If not, you can pick those up online, or sometimes at local gun shows. Matching numbers on all the parts are nice for collecting, but overall if you plan on keeping and shooting it, the only match I'd be concerned with would be the bolt matching the barrel. If they were "Frankensteined" together, it _could_ cause a headspacing issue, and should probably be checked out by a gunsmith. Also, if you got the "Mosin-tool" that comes in the cleaning kit, it has a handy gauge built into it, to show you where to set the proper firing pin depth, after detail-stripping the bolt. I recommend getting a limbsaver slip-on buttpad from Walmart, as the 7.62X54 kicks a bit more from the shorter length guns. Good luck, and have fun!

gsracer

Post by gsracer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for the info...

Unfortunately it didn't come with the anything, i did check ebay and found the sling and cleaning kit, I'm gonna pick those up.

Ill look into the limb saver as my shoulder is killing me haha.

Range report..

So i put a round in held it as far away from my body, turned my face and pulled the trigger and it fired. Worked flawless and accurate too.

Only fired 30 rds through it, and no problems except notice 3 cracked necks. I suspect its the surplus ammo.

Fun rifle to shoot.

Now about cleaning that corrosive ammo about.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 am

You can clean the corrosive stuff by using a bore mop and hot soapy water or windex w/ammonia. Soak the bore mop liberally and swab it out. Do that a few times to dissolve and flush out the corrosive salts.
Dry with a couple of patches then clean & oil it as normal using your favorite cleaning kit, like Hoppe's #9.
Don't bypass the water step. I learned the hard way.

The numbers on the sights are in Arshins, a Russian unit of measure equaling a soldiers pace, approximately 28 inches.

I like that style of Mosin. I have a 91/30, and a few 91/59. M38 and M44 s.
There's a storm coming.

Droknows
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Droknows » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Great rifle! I have one too. I love shooting that thing. If I could find another one, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat