Cosmoline

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
Alka45

Cosmoline

Post by Alka45 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Can someone help, what is the best way to clean off cosmoline on a Tokarev ?

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Cosmoline

Post by flcracker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Don't know about a Tok, but a 5-gallon bucket and a can of brake cleaner spray has worked for me with Yugo SKSs in the past.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Low heat also works well. I use my wifes blow dryer set on the highest setting for wood. Boiling water also works well for metal parts, just make sure you dry thoroughly and re-oil..
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Mineral spirits is the quickest/easiest method for the metal parts.
"Try to walk into any average church and see how long it takes them to start pumping money out of you... Just like a titty bar, but with uglier people" - Razorbuc

rydjohnson

Post by rydjohnson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:18 pm

On my Mosin I used simple green on the metal parts

BMW GUY
Life Member
Life Member

Post by BMW GUY » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Alka45 wrote:Can someone help, what is the best way to clean off cosmoline on a Tokarev ?
Find someone with a parts washer, pay him $10 bucks :)

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 pm

be careful with the brake cleaner it will knock you out
speaking of that starting fluid can also be used
it will knock you out if it gives you more than a buzz it is ether

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Mineral spirits for the bulk of the work, brake cleaner for the fine parts.

Also, letting it sit out in the hot sun (while we still have it) helps.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

pushead

Post by pushead » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 am

Gun Scrubber eats it off with ease. Just need a few qtips and a tooth brush to clean the cracks. At least that how I did my last one.

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:37 am

If you use brake cleaner, you MUST replace the microscopic layer of protective oil or it will quickly rust. A better alternative is kerosine (diesel will work but I like kerosine better). It will remove the cosmoline plus it will leave all the microscopic pores filled with a layer of protection.

Alka45

Post by Alka45 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks guys for all the great advice !

Lighteye

Post by Lighteye » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:48 am

rydjohnson wrote:On my Mosin I used simple green on the metal parts

This. I filled a Maxwell house container with a 50/50 solution of water and SG and tossed in my cosmoline coated PSL bolt and magazines and let the sit for 2 days.

Running hot water afterwards to knock the loosened junk off then a hair dryer to ensure no water was left. Finally a legit use for that $150 Chi hair dryer my wife thinks she snick in under the radar.
The stupid, it burns.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:20 pm

You kids never ran into REAL Cosmoline. It was wax melted into hot grease. The firearms were dunked in it and left to dry. After a year or so the thinner oils evaporated leaving a sticky, waxy mess that gathered an armor coating of dirt. Damned near impenetrable, solvents only softened it a little and you had to wipe forever. Back in the 70's there was still a lot of stuff in storage since WWII that had real Cosmoline.

Most "Cosmoline" today is nothing but a thick grease, although it may have some waxy hydrocarbons in it, and any degreasing fluid and wiping will get rid of it.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Lighteye wrote:
rydjohnson wrote:On my Mosin I used simple green on the metal parts

This. I filled a Maxwell house container with a 50/50 solution of water and SG and tossed in my cosmoline coated PSL bolt and magazines and let the sit for 2 days.

Running hot water afterwards to knock the loosened junk off then a hair dryer to ensure no water was left. Finally a legit use for that $150 Chi hair dryer my wife thinks she snick in under the radar.
Completely unnecessary. 30 minutes in mineral spirits is more than enough.
"Try to walk into any average church and see how long it takes them to start pumping money out of you... Just like a titty bar, but with uglier people" - Razorbuc

Lighteye

Post by Lighteye » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 am

Enoch wrote:Completely unnecessary. 30 minutes in mineral spirits is more than enough.
Thanks for letting me know that you are a zen master of degreasing/cleaning though and that my cleaning method is unnecessary.

Simple Green doesn't make me want to hurl due to the vapor, and I have GALLONS of it on hand [smilie=021.gif] less than 5 minutes of work and my parts are perfectly clean. I think I'll stick to my method, but to each his own.
The stupid, it burns.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 am

Lighteye wrote:
Enoch wrote:Completely unnecessary. 30 minutes in mineral spirits is more than enough.
Thanks for letting me know that you are a zen master of degreasing/cleaning though and that my cleaning method is unnecessary.

Simple Green doesn't make me want to hurl due to the vapor, and I have GALLONS of it on hand [smilie=021.gif] less than 5 minutes of work and my parts are perfectly clean. I think I'll stick to my method, but to each his own.
Lighteye wrote: with a 50/50 solution of water and SG and tossed in my cosmoline coated PSL bolt and magazines and let the sit for 2 days.
I think his comment was the time you quoted :ham'r , the first time you said, let it sit for 2 days, then he commented about unnecessary and 30 min, then you said something about 5 minuets :-k

all I have to say to both you zen master baters =:wvr ... is soak an AR, SIG or GSG in Simple Green for a while and let us know how that works out for you, I personally wouldn't use simple green on anything metal cause it corrodes aluminum [-(

p.s. its funny you think other solvents have a vapor ...SG smells like a dead cat in peppermint schnaps to me [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.