WTK mauser smith central Florida

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
Eyeguy

WTK mauser smith central Florida

Post by Eyeguy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:11 pm

I recently picked up two Mauser's. An 1895 Chilean and Spanish M44. Both have been arsenal re chambered to 7.62x51. Looking for a qualified smith in central Florida to confirm caliber (neither are marked, going on sellers claim), headspace and general condition. My job takes me across much of the state so willing to drive to find a qualified smith. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

butcharoot
Contributor
Contributor

Re: WTK mauser smith central Florida

Post by butcharoot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:14 pm

Dow Arms Room in Dade City

Eyeguy

Post by Eyeguy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks butcharoot. Do you have any personal experience there? I've read mixed reviews on Dow Arms on other forums.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:45 pm

Eyeguy wrote: I've read mixed reviews on Dow Arms on other forums.
you really need to second guess those mixed reviews if you don't know Bruce Dow's well respected reputation :ham'r
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Eyeguy

Post by Eyeguy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Thanks. I'll be near Dade City in a couple of weeks. I'll stop in and report back here on my experience.

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:57 pm

It is possible the Chilean was done by their military and would have a small stamp near the front site saying 308.

One nice thing about Mausers is the ease to remove the firing pin assembly and have an empty safe bolt to chamber a round without fear.
Just picked up a Chilean Model 1912 98 that was rebarreled in 308 but it was marked both as I described and stamped NATO under the crest.
You can drop a round in the barrel to check if it is 30 caliber and if yes with the firing pin assembly removed try a 3006 round. It will not chamber and then a 308 and if when you close the bolt it is almost but not easy you know it is 308

A 308 NOGO gauge will be much cheaper than any smith looking at it and you will always have it for later use. I use a loaded factory 308 round as a GO gauge as it is really the same as the gauge

The Chileans were 7X57-7MM Mauser before being 308 so making sure they are not 7MM is 90% of your checking
/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

Eyeguy

Post by Eyeguy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks Wulfmann. The Chilean does have a barrel mark; "M95 308 Germany" along with the import mark from CAI ST ALB VT" So .308 it is! No NATO mark under the crest. Appreciate the heads up. Marks were so small I had to use a light to see them.

Read much about the safety of firing .308 in a small ring mauser receiver. Opinions are mixed at best. The M44 is a large ring and general consensus there is no concern with the higher pressure .308 conversion.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Read this first. http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1895Chile.html

Just be careful you don't use reloads unless you do them yourself and double check each load of propellant. In general these are OK for light use with NATO spec 7.62x51 but a lot of .308 reloads are just too hot. And wear eye protection, please.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

weaselfire

Post by weaselfire » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 pm

butcharoot wrote:Dow Arms Room in Dade City
My recommendation as well. Local expert on these guns and very capable.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk