AOW shotguns...make one or buy one?

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
wakkoss
BANNED

AOW shotguns...make one or buy one?

Post by wakkoss » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Another member and I are interested in getting a pair of Serbu style super shorty AOWs. I'd prefer 20 gauge. Serbu makes a great one, but it's expensive at $700. I know we can buy pistol gripped Mossberg 500s, have one of the SOTs on this site make it an AOW, pay them for their trouble, and transfer it for $5, but I do not want a basic shotgun with a barrel cut down to the mag tube; I'd like it SHORT like the Serbu or KEG. Thoughts?
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

sterling991
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: AOW shotguns...make one or buy one?

Post by sterling991 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Let me know what you guys are thinking. I'm interested as well. Need a glove box gun [smilie=011.gif]

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:16 pm

I smell group buy. [smilie=popcorn.gif]
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:20 pm

wakkoss wrote:Another member and I are interested in getting a pair of Serbu style super shorty AOWs. I'd prefer 20 gauge. Serbu makes a great one, but it's expensive at $700. I know we can buy pistol gripped Mossberg 500s, have one of the SOTs on this site make it an AOW, pay them for their trouble, and transfer it for $5, but I do not want a basic shotgun with a barrel cut down to the mag tube; I'd like it SHORT like the Serbu or KEG. Thoughts?
Don't you or the SOT still have to pay the $200 tax for making one out of a PG Mossy?

Or is it that the SOT pays $5 to make it, but you still have to pay the $200 transfer tax?

:-k

Either way, I thought I read an explanation by ipscscott or Sweep a while back that there's no getting around the $200.

:-k :-k
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 pm

If I make it, it's $200. I was under the impression that the SOT makes it for free (covered under their yearly $500 fee) but then charges me and the ATF charges the $5 transfer tax.

sterling991
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sterling991 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:27 pm

Every time I come on this damn website I spend money. I lied I was not thinking about an aow but I come on here and I'm thinking" wow, how have I lived without one?"

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm

It's been one of those "One of these days..." items for a while now on my list. Over the weekend I was talking to a guy that bought one from Lee's and was planning on actually CARRYING IT in a shoulder holster. It should be noted that he also had a CWP badge in his wallet. While I don't intend to actually carry it (though during some hunting it'd be pretty sweet), I figure the cost of getting it is pretty good. If you pay $700 for it, plus the tax, in a couple years you can probably still sell it used for $600-$650, and you're only losing the $5 tax vs. a $200. And if Armageddon breaks out, you're already set to go Road Warrior style.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm

wakkoss wrote:If I make it, it's $200. I was under the impression that the SOT makes it for free (covered under their yearly $500 fee) but then charges me and the ATF charges the $5 transfer tax.
Got it. Not the first time I've been wrong, and likely not the last time either. #-o
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Now if they only sold a factory pistol grip Saiga shotgun [-o<
We could have an AOW with drum mag.

The Serbu looks pretty straight forward to manufacture and if we can get an 07/02 FFL to do a batch of 5-10 at a time the cost per gun should be pretty low. A base Mosberg 500 runs about $300.
Anonymous wrote:I replied "well you might have beat me at IDPA, but I take comfort in the fact that I'm beating you at life".

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Mark Serbu used to sell short-mag-tube kits to 07/02 SOTs. After he found that more than half of the 07/02s couldn't get them to feed correctly, he stopped selling them.

BTW, while Super Shorties are pretty cool ... it's fairly common for them to not feed correctly without a trip back to Mark. And that's after he tests each one prior to shipping. ](*,)

wakkoss
BANNED

Any interest in AOW short shotguns?

Post by wakkoss » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Three people including myself are interested in picking up a super short AOW shotgun. The two local manufacturers are Serbu and Safety Harbor. http://safetyharborfirearms.com/store/i ... ducts_id=7

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

So far I believe that all three of us are more interested in 20 gauges, with two Remingtons and one Mossy. My plans are to check with a couple of the local dealers and with the manufacturers themselves to see if we can get a better price on these guns, and what restrictions they would have. At this point it's purely a testing the waters stage to see if we can get at least 5 people for an order together. If you're interested, please put your first preference of type/caliber, and if you'd be content to get the other type. For example, if you'd prefer a Mossy 12, but would take Remy 20 because that's what everyone else got and it's cheaper, let me know. If you ONLY want the Remy 12, put that too.

macattack321
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by macattack321 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:28 pm

tony k wrote:BTW, while Super Shorties are pretty cool ... it's fairly common for them to not feed correctly without a trip back to Mark. And that's after he tests each one prior to shipping. ](*,)
I guess I'm lucky, because mine has feeds 100%.

The only problem I've had with it was some crappy Winchester birdshot, where the rim was larger than spec. I just had to eject a little rougher than normal.

ss1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ss1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:29 pm

wakkoss wrote:.....And if Armageddon breaks out, you're already set to go Road Warrior style.
It'll be cheaper to keep a hacksaw handy when Armageddon breaks out as stamps won't really matter anymore. [smilie=011.gif]

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:31 pm

ss1 wrote:
wakkoss wrote:.....And if Armageddon breaks out, you're already set to go Road Warrior style.
It'll be cheaper to keep a hacksaw handy when Armageddon breaks out as stamps won't really matter anymore. [smilie=011.gif]
Hacksaw will cost more than $5 [smilie=011.gif]
Anonymous wrote:I replied "well you might have beat me at IDPA, but I take comfort in the fact that I'm beating you at life".

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm not talking about stamps, I mean actually HAVING it when the zombies come to the door. None of this "Hang on a sec...not done cutting the barrel!!!" crap!

Guys, I put a "testing the waters" thread in the group buy section, and I've sent an email out to Safety Harbor. Serbu is getting one next.

ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Any interest in AOW short shotguns?

Post by ipscscott » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 pm

we might be able to help out with this. I've got contacts with Safety Harbor (just dipped a rifle for him in fact), and I know Sweep knows Mark Serbu. If there's enough interest, we can probably help facilitate the group buy.
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226

Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ipscscott » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 pm

flcracker wrote:
wakkoss wrote:If I make it, it's $200. I was under the impression that the SOT makes it for free (covered under their yearly $500 fee) but then charges me and the ATF charges the $5 transfer tax.
Got it. Not the first time I've been wrong, and likely not the last time either. #-o
It's like Quest......

......wakkoss nailed it. [smilie=pdt_xtremez_39.gif]

I had an 870 a while back that I was going to use to practice this sort of conversion but like so many other projects I just never got around to it. There's a LOT more that goes into it than just whacking the barrel.

Have you given any thought to something like this? Only 1 round less.
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226

Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:32 pm

ipscscott wrote: Have you given any thought to something like this? Only 1 round less.
My understanding was that all these double barrels were imported with stocks, making this a $200 SBS vs a $5 AOW.

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:50 pm

aquajon wrote:
ipscscott wrote: Have you given any thought to something like this? Only 1 round less.
My understanding was that all these double barrels were imported with stocks, making this a $200 SBS vs a $5 AOW.
Unfortunately, you are correct.

ATF will not issue an import permit for a SxS shotgun without a buttstock. So there's no way to legally bring a virgin receiver into the U.S. And no domestic manufacturer currently produces SxS shotguns under $1k.

Once a buttstock has been mounted on the receiver, AOW is out -- under the law, all it may become is an SBS.

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Any interest in AOW short shotguns?

Post by molivo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

I wouldnt mind getting one.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140