MP5SD

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
flipguymike

MP5SD

Post by flipguymike » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:43 pm

I know its not that hard to get an MP5 kit and put it together and its not too expensive, but does anyone know about the MP5SD? I think it looks like an MP5K with a silencer and some type of shroud over it. I am prolly gonna look into building one but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any experience?
Panties: not the best thing on earth, but next to best thing on earth.
-Found my HK USPC45-

PPGMD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PPGMD » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Real MP5SD use an Hk suppressor that only goes on that gun. It looks like a normal MP5 but with a large diameter barrel. And the handguards are made out of cheap rubber.

IMO it's better to get a normal MP5 and put a can on it, the handguards on the MP5SD get pretty hot with extended firing.

Anyways pictures:
MP5SD:
http://www.hkpro.com/mp5sd.htm
MP5:
http://www.hkpro.com/mp5.htm
MP5K:
http://www.hkpro.com/mp5k.htm
Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream.

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:24 pm

MP5SD's use a ported barrel that bleeds off velocity to make the standard supersonic 9mm round subsonic ... unfortunately, all the HK-design SDs are old technology that pretty primitive in their porting, and you wind up with terminal ballistics identical to .380 ACP. HK no longer produces MP5s, so it has not been updated to state-of-the-art suppression.

If you want to suppress an MP5, just get a quality muzzle can.

And this thread should prolly be in the Class 3 forum.

lx460
Life Member
Life Member

Re: MP5SD

Post by lx460 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:51 pm

flipguymike wrote:I know its not that hard to get an MP5 kit and put it together and its not too expensive, but does anyone know about the MP5SD? I think it looks like an MP5K with a silencer and some type of shroud over it. I am prolly gonna look into building one but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any experience?
MP5 kits are easy to get, yes.

easy to put together, not really.

not too expensive, depends on your idea of not expensive. $1500-$1700 for a demilled kit. Finding a bare receiver is almost impossible. Even a flat is $500...and it's not like bending an AK flat. Very difficult to get correct. Clip and pin the lower and remove full auto parts $200 or so. Definitely not a project if you don't know where to start. And in the end you still have a put together parts kit gun that may or may not run properly. You can check over at Hkpro.com and ask around. If you want a Mp5 type gun you can get a nice clone in the $1500 + or - ballpark. If you want a real Hk94 thay're running about $3500 and Sp89 is about $4000 or so. Just be aware there are no civilian legal MP5's. Even transferable machine guns are remarked converted HK94's. The SD conversion can be done by IGS but isn't cheap. Here's a link. Anything is possible just do your homework first.

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/ ... 94SP89.htm

pharmer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pharmer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:32 pm

I've fired one several times. Good: no recoil, flawless reliability, quiet like shooting the air-powered thompson at the fair. Bad: weighs about 12 lbs, crunches empties before flinging them 30 ft, eats ammo like it was free. Joe

SteyrAUG
Life Member
Life Member

Post by SteyrAUG » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:16 pm

The best solution is to begin with a HK94 and have it converted to a SD by a competent HK gunsmith.

flipguymike

Post by flipguymike » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:13 pm

SteyrAUG wrote:The best solution is to begin with a HK94 and have it converted to a SD by a competent HK gunsmith.
After looking around I think that is what I want to do. Just have to find a competent gun smith now. Thanks Steyr
Panties: not the best thing on earth, but next to best thing on earth.
-Found my HK USPC45-

Miamioffshore
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Miamioffshore » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:30 pm

I once owned a NIB MP5SD built by S&H. I agree with everything said here. Fun gun, quiet, reliable and damn cool. Also nice to not need subsonic ammo. Ultimately though if you are only going to have 1 MP5, get a regular one and get a can for it. You will be happier. These get dirty quick, hot, and sometimes you don't mind the noise of unsuppressed fire
"In God We Trust", everyone else must pass the NICS.
"Repeal the 17th Amendment!"
NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation
GOA Life Member

gonoles

Post by gonoles » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 pm

Vector Arms made a few SD's which can be had for less than a standard 94 even after the stamps. Plus their can is a little quieter (at least to the ear).

Hippiestein

Post by Hippiestein » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:07 am

gonoles wrote:Vector Arms made a few SD's which can be had for less than a standard 94 even after the stamps. Plus their can is a little quieter (at least to the ear).
Ralph at RDTS actually does a better job on SD's.
Not knocking Rex at Vector, but Ralph has been doing it longer.
Joe User
Margaritaville

FiringPin
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FiringPin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:14 pm

So how are these holding up now that you've been shooting them for a few years? [smilie=011.gif] :-k _:
"If you don't change directions, you'll end up where you're headed!" Sadly, the same is true for our country...
When injustice becomes law, Resistance becomes duty. Thomas Jefferson

Miamioffshore
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Miamioffshore » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:03 pm

For educational purposes I would like to ad the following information. As has been said, one of the perks of this design is that you don't need to have sub-sonic ammo as the guns ported barrel will bleed off enough muzzle velocity to make supersonic ammo subsonic. There is a flip-side, even the manufacturer states NOT to use subsonic ammo in the gun as velocity could be bleed too low for reliable functioning and in some cases could case squib rounds.

When I owned mine I ran 1,000 rounds of Special K from Alabama Ammo through her and while she didn't still function perfectly with this ammo, it should be noted that when shooting in certain conditions, such as at night at an outdoor shooting range, we could SEE the rounds flying down range because there velocity was so low! Obviously those are some VERY poor terminal ballistics!

Thus you're trading a more compact design to really only be left with .380 ballistics (as previously stated). All in all it's got a place where it's the perfect choice of gun, but very limited applications.
"In God We Trust", everyone else must pass the NICS.
"Repeal the 17th Amendment!"
NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation
GOA Life Member

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:41 pm

since someone brought this back from the dead and the guy probably never got his MP5, some things have changed
for info purposes..
MP5 kits ( when found ) rest somewhere about the $ 1000 these days, flats are more available and about $ 60 now ( were $ 40 ) when ORF was still in business
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

spikes40
Life Member
Life Member

Post by spikes40 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Ralph at RDTS did my 94 to mp5 conversion and the work was first class!
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Please visit and Like my Police Supply Page at http://www.facebook.com/ADLPoliceSupplies
http://www.ADLPoliceSupplies.com

p7fl

Post by p7fl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:22 pm

HK repair flipped two digits on a service and sent me a MP5SD.
My 15 year old son who opened the door for our friendly Brown truck really enjoyed opening the box.

HK was nice enough not to charge shipping to send the gun back.
/:f _: