switching caliber uppers on SBR

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

switching caliber uppers on SBR

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:10 pm

I went to a local FFL (I won't name drop because the last time I did that, the person took it way to personally [smilie=011.gif] ) to get a fostech installed on my SBR.

I keep my rifle in the configuration stated on my paperwork, 10.5" 5.56, but I sometimes swap on a 9" 300blk for range fun.

FFL said I was committing a felony by doing that. He specifically said that switching the caliber to something other than that stated on the form is wrong.

I know he's wrong because NFA law makes no mention of switching calibers on an SBR-registered item. Furthermore the only mention I can find of calibers being regulated would be destructive devices for calibers over a certain size, of which .30 cal is not.

Problem is, people who are this ignorant never take, "Well, the law doesn't specifically state that X activity is illegal, therefore it's legal until proven otherwise". Their mentality is like that of an obedient dog, they have to be told by those with authority that X is ok before they believe X is legal.
Cliffs: So, does anyone know if there's an ATF letter explicitly stating switching calibers is legal?

I found a letter which proves switching uppers (SBR length to rifle 16"+ length) is legal, the logic of which proves my point (SBRs are defined as a rifle with a barrel or barrel(s) of less than 16"). But a person has to be reasonable and willing to actually exercise judgment in order to validate logical arguments.
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Re: switching caliber uppers on SBR

Post by 870Mike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Your FFL is full of [smilie=042.gif]

Permanent changes = Notify* ATF.

Temporary changes = Party on.

If I had a dollar for every wrong piece of advice/law I overheard/received while at a gun-shop, I'd be able to afford a small island in the Caribbean.

* Requested, not required.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 pm

You're just as guilty Mike ......you just gave him advice without posting a specific ATF letter or ruling in which he was asking for
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 pm
You're just as guilty Mike ......you just gave him advice without posting a specific ATF letter or ruling in which he was asking for
Because there is no ATF letter...nor any section of the USC forbidding it.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulatio ... en-letters
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike