Will the hearing protection act pass ? POLL

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)

Will the HPA pass?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 53

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Will the hearing protection act pass ? POLL

Post by Jonathanw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:05 pm

/:f [smilie=popcorn.gif]

Should yield some good debate [smilie=011.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Will the hearing protection act pass ? POLL

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:58 pm

A better poll would have been "when" instead of will....we all think it "will" pass but seeing how it has to go through 3 committes before it hits the floor...I'm thinking late 2018....there is a ton of details to still figure out ........only really stupid people are gonna wait 2 years to save $200 and if you actually think manufacturers will have anything in stock to buy :ham'r ....

people will be more upset than waiting 8 months now.....
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:A better poll would have been "when" instead of will....we all think it "will" pass but seeing how it has to go through 3 committes before it hits the floor...I'm thinking late 2018....there is a ton of details to still figure out ........only really stupid people are gonna wait 2 years to save $200 and if you actually think manufacturers will have anything in stock to buy :ham'r ....

people will be more upset than waiting 8 months now.....
....so if these get "changed" to Title 1/non-NFA items, can someone make their own? :-k I'm doubting it, but it would be interesting if they lump it in like regular guns. It's legal to build your own title 1 guns as it is now, hopefully they don;t think that through all the way [smilie=033.gif]

Or do you still need a "stamp", they're just making it a little cheaper and easier to get or something?

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I think suppressors will be taken off the NFA list and sold like handguns.
As Rent posted above, it will take some time to get it done but it will be done.
Perhaps in about 2 years.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Villafuego

Post by Villafuego » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:34 pm

It all depends on the "spin" the media puts on it.....

The other day, I heard on local talk radio that there was a push to "legalize" silencers

We all know that is the HPA....and that suppressors are already legal.....and that what it proposes would still require just as much of a background check as is required for the weapon that actually fires the projectile....but the media is what makes our elected representatives vote one way or the other....and to be quite frank, 90% of the supporters for this bill are pushing something that will never "sell"....."hearing protection" ????? get real....

A nondescript bill, reclassifying suppressors as a title 1 firearm, and requiring the same purchase requirements, could have easily been attached to one of those "remember 9-11" kind of bills with ZERO fanfare and passed....the more attention this makes, the worse chance it has.......

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Why would you even consider still making your own once the HPA passes it will be a race to the bottom... any manufacturer with a lathe and or mill....will start cranking out cheap bottom-of-the-barrel cans..... the economic minded public will think that a $99 silencer is the same as a $500 or $600 can.....there is a reason the top companies put a lot of coin into R & D.....

Hell there are $99 cans now....do the suck...yes in every sense....but hey its a silencer for 99 bucks....compare it to a $350 can and it seems a Kia to a Mercedes.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Rentprop1 wrote: Hell there are $99 cans now....do the suck...yes in every sense....but hey its a silencer for 99 bucks....compare it to a $350 can and it seems a Kia to a Mercedes.
I don't know about that...more like Honda to a Mercedes.
Honda will not be as fast or luxurious but it will get you there every time whereas Mercedes will get you there fast when all those bells and whistles don't break down and leave you stranded on side of the road [smilie=011.gif]
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:05 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:... once the HPA passes it will be a race to the bottom... any moron with a lathe and or mill....will start cranking out cheap bottom-of-the-barrel improperly registered DDs..... the economic minded public will think that a $99 silencer is the same as a $500 or $600 can.....there is a reason the top companies put a lot of coin into R & D and materials.....
FIFY

And the lawsuits and insurance hikes will do more long-term damage to the suppressor industry than the media backlash of a "mass shooting"

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:24 pm

wow others now see it ..... :-k

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Anybody heard anything new about HPA? I have not seen any real news in a month. I don't see where it has emerged out of a single committee.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm

neverenoughguns wrote:Anybody heard anything new about HPA? I have not seen any real news in a month. I don't see where it has emerged out of a single committee.

Dorothy is still on the yellow brick road, 3 committees first ( the tin-man, Lion, and the scarecrow ) it will be a long time before she meets the wizard [smilie=011.gif]

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:20 pm

[smilie=cheers1.gif]
Rentprop1 wrote:
neverenoughguns wrote:Anybody heard anything new about HPA? I have not seen any real news in a month. I don't see where it has emerged out of a single committee.

Dorothy is still on the yellow brick road, 3 committees first ( the tin-man, Lion, and the scarecrow ) it will be a long time before she meets the wizard [smilie=011.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:10 pm

The big players in the silencer industry ( ASA ) are finally trying to make people realize its probably not gonna happen till late 2018...IF it even does??...silencer sales have droped off pretty rapid across the board probably from a false sense the HPA is coming and the wait times are now at almost 10 months...

The social media blow hards and every swinging dick with a youtube channel told everyone the Messiah Trump was gonna wave magic wand named HPA covered in gold even....we're still waiting ....and nothing.....but, for there to already be a ton of meme's and now Hitler parodies saying don't get your hopes still haven't been enough to stimulate the industry. Silencer Co just had large layoffs and other suppressor companies are struggling.

I will just say this one thing ...if you think waiting to save $200 and an ATF processing wait time is a good idea....just wait till you go to your local gun shop and find empty display cases IF and WHEN it does pass.....if you want one go buy it now....lots of manufacturers are offering a $200 credit should it come about in the near future.

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Will be interesting to see if there is a response to the Repeal the NFA Petition from January,.. t think the sixty day response period may be up soon.....

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:31 pm

I wish they would get this passed. I've been putting off buying a suppressor for more than a year now, waiting. Better not be another Lucy pulling the football out at the last second move.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

cougar_guy04
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by cougar_guy04 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:The big players in the silencer industry ( ASA ) are finally trying to make people realize its probably not gonna happen till late 2018...IF it even does??...silencer sales have droped off pretty rapid across the board probably from a false sense the HPA is coming and the wait times are now at almost 10 months...

The social media blow hards and every swinging dick with a youtube channel told everyone the Messiah Trump was gonna wave magic wand named HPA covered in gold even....we're still waiting ....and nothing.....but, for there to already be a ton of meme's and now Hitler parodies saying don't get your hopes still haven't been enough to stimulate the industry. Silencer Co just had large layoffs and other suppressor companies are struggling.

I will just say this one thing ...if you think waiting to save $200 and an ATF processing wait time is a good idea....just wait till you go to your local gun shop and find empty display cases IF and WHEN it does pass.....if you want one go buy it now....lots of manufacturers are offering a $200 credit should it come about in the near future.
RP speaks the truth. Having spent some time working with a silencer company, a lot of them are in a hurt locker right now. Silencerco laid off 50% of its employees (100+), I'm expecting AAC to follow suit shortly (or they move the employees to a different business unit). I think a lot of the upstart silencer companies are going to have some lean times going forward (same for the entire industry, really) until the HPA either passes or dies. Everybody beat feet to get their forms in before 41F took effect, so a lot of people pushed forward their plans to get a can. Now a lot of people have what they want for now and aren't looking to buy anything else for a while.

Even other players are coming out swinging at the ASA for the line they took on the HPA. Personally, HPA or not, I'll have my Form 4 in for a couple Dead Air cans shortly after my residence gets reestablished in FL and the movers are paid.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:02 am

If the Republican party can not even address Obama Care w/ legislation, I am thinking there is less chance that the HPA will pass.... odds just increased against in my estimation.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Picture Sting...singing

"Every month you wait ...Ill be missing you "

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Seems to be stuck in la la land.....

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:01 pm

With S&W buying gem tech does this lead people to believe HPA still has hope?