Hearing Protection Act bill introduced in Congress

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Hearing Protection Act bill introduced in Congress

Post by Odessaman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:55 am

That didn't take long.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01 ... rives.html
The Hearing Protection Act, introduced earlier this week in the GOP-controlled House and Senate, if passed, would still require a background check to buy a silencer, which muffles or suppresses more than silences the sound of a shot.

However, buyers would no longer have to pay a $200 fee or wait for months after filing extensive paperwork with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Hearing Protection Act bill introduced in Congress

Post by Casual » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Atfe is still gonna want it's money. I'd say perhaps put the burden on the shop owner, dealer. Pass the 200 bucks to the consumer but let the paperwork be the shops problem. Just like the sale of a normal firearm....

How it would effect private sale transfers... well. Let's just say that 200 bucks originally should be the only tax money the Atfe needs to get their hands on
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:24 pm

You think the government's going to let shop owners collect that $200 and just pay it to the gov. whenever????,,,, look at how much sales tax fraud there is now.... [-(

This is all wishful thinking because the government is never going to let that $200 fee go away free money to them.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:13 pm

If the CBO did an analysis of how much the ATF spends in payroll, technology upgrades and maintenance and other resources to collect that $200, do you think they'd be in the black or in the red?
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Seeing how that agency usually costs the gov. Money add to the fact they brought in an extra 45 million dollars just this year alone.?? So who knows.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:Seeing how that agency usually costs the gov. Money add to the fact they brought in an extra 45 million dollars just this year alone.?? So who knows.
I would be happy to be wrong (Just like I was w/ the Donald) but I don't want to let myself believe that this bill will pass. (The disappointment would be too terribly great if it gets shot down again....)

Villafuego

Post by Villafuego » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:34 am

Casual wrote:Atfe is still gonna want it's money. I'd say perhaps put the burden on the shop owner, dealer. Pass the 200 bucks to the consumer but let the paperwork be the shops problem. Just like the sale of a normal firearm....

How it would effect private sale transfers... well. Let's just say that 200 bucks originally should be the only tax money the Atfe needs to get their hands on
You do realize that all of the income from tax stamps goes to the Treasury general fund, and not the ATF ????

The ATF could give 2 shits about the HPA.....they'd be fine with it passing......they aren't the ones who will resist it.....it's the same cast of gun-grabbing characters that will take the battle to the media and play on the uneducated masses perception of "silencers" that you have to worry about...

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Villafuego wrote:
Casual wrote:Atfe is still gonna want it's money. I'd say perhaps put the burden on the shop owner, dealer. Pass the 200 bucks to the consumer but let the paperwork be the shops problem. Just like the sale of a normal firearm....

You do realize that all of the income from tax stamps goes to the Treasury general fund, and not the ATF ????

The ATF could give 2 shits about the HPA.....they'd be fine with it passing......they aren't the ones who will resist it.....it's the same cast of gun-grabbing characters that will take the battle to the media and play on the uneducated masses perception of "silencers" that you have to worry about...
Yup. Will be interesting to see if this gets off the ground or just never gets out of the blocks like last time.... I believe the gov will still want "their" tax money. Actually, I almost don't care about the $200 stamp. I hate the wait more than anything.

KrinkovMan

Post by KrinkovMan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:46 am

I hope this gets done, Don JR is a supporter so at least we got that going for us.