Did I Just Make an AOW?

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Did I Just Make an AOW?

Post by 870Mike » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Installed a longer flash-hider and a Sig Brace on my AR pistol, bringing the OAL to 26.5 in.

Is this no longer a pistol or does this [smilie=042.gif] even matter as the hider & brace are removable? :-k

"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Did I Just Make an AOW?

Post by DaveM » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:07 pm

As far as I know it's still a pistol unless you put it against your shoulder and pull the trigger. Then it would be a SBR.

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:28 pm

I think either it's just a long barreled pistol, or just a "firearm" similar to the way ATF treats the Pistol Gripped-only Mossberg shotgun:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88%2F

From that article:
PGO firearms that remain longer than 26″ in overall length also can’t be defined as AOWs. That’s because the term “any other weapon” (AOW) means “any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person…” And ATF maintains that to be concealed, the firearm needs to be shorter than 26″. Read the full definition of an AOW here.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:50 pm

A question I would ask in a future tense hypothetical, as opposed to an accomplished fact in the past tense. With a picture.

YMMV.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm guessing(?) that the flash hider & brace don't count as they are removable. When I wanted to install a foregrip on my 9mm pistol, I had to ensure it was over 26" which was accomplished by pinning/brazing the flash hider.

:-k

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:05 pm

tector wrote:A question I would ask in a future tense hypothetical, as opposed to an accomplished fact in the past tense. With a picture.

YMMV.
Meh. They couldn't find me if they tried.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Found this , so I think I'm good...

The “any other weapon” definition excludes weapons designed to be fired from the shoulder that are not capable of firing fixed ammunition or a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore. However, certain alterations to a pistol or revolver, such as the addition of a second vertical handgrip, create a weapon that no longer meets the definition of pistol or revolver. A pistol or revolver modified as described is an “any other weapon” subject to the NFA because the weapon is not designed to be fired when held in one hand.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:29 am

DaveM wrote:As far as I know it's still a pistol unless you put it against your shoulder and pull the trigger. Then it would be a SBR.
This. GARY