Suppressor info

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Suppressor info

Post by flcracker » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:50 am

I am no expert, but I'll toss this out there. Hopefully others will fill in the gaps in my knowledge.
dieselbeef wrote: maybe we should start another thread on suppressors. all yo guys got em so maybe someone could help me decide. can I get a one size fits all kinda unit?
Whatever caliber rifle suppressor you get, you can generally shoot all smaller calibers through it.

You'll need something larger in diameter than a .308 can to shoot your .357 rifle through. Most folks that want a "one size fits all" suppressor get a .308 can and shoot everything smaller than that through it. Be aware that if you get a pistol-rated suppressor (9mm, 45ACP, etc.) you may not be able to shoot rifle rounds through it. You'll need to ask the manufacturer for the specific rating.

It should go without saying, but any rifle you want to use your can on will need muzzle threads. I once listened to some a$$hole chewing out a gun shop owner for not making it clear to him before ordering/paying/waiting for his can that he would need his muzzle threaded. He seemed to think that the gun shop should thread his muzzle for free since they didn't inform him up front that it would be necessary. :ham'r

As far as mounting on various rifles, many brands of suppressors offer a muzzle device attachment piece that you can buy several of, install them on several rifles, then you can quick attach/detach onto each rifle in turn. A slower way is to just thread/unthread the mounting adapter each time. However, the threads are typically different on .22, 5.56, and .308.

I went with a Smith Enterprises Inc. Windtalker suppressor, which mounts to their proprietary Vortex flash hider. I've got Vortexes (Vortices?) on all my ARs and M14s, as well as a few other guns, so it's easy and quick to swap. I'm sure that there are other brands that will allow you to do the same. Direct-threaded is the simplest and cheapest option, but it's slower and more likely to eventually damage the threads on your barrel. If you go that route, be sure to use thread protectors when the can isn't mounted.
Last edited by flcracker on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Suppressor info

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:11 pm

it depends on what you want to suppress ?? there are only a couple do all can's out there

Griffin Optimus ( about $900 ish )

but they are back ordered everywhere 8 + weeks

or

Silencer Co Hybrid ( $ 850 ish ) and a seperate Rimfire can ( $ 320 ish ) , but your talking about 2 stamps so ( +$400 to ATF )
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:14 pm

Threads: carefully research your barrel thread info.

My 308 can does not fit my M14, without adapter. And I don't think it fits my AR ...
Go Trump!

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:35 pm

in all likelihood I will have the 357 rifle threaded to the same thread as the ar's. theyre already done so matching what they have is a no brainer. the biggest pisser is that the talo ar has a ss barrel not threaded. and its big in diameter so a 1/2 thread is gonna be tough I think. haven't got to measuring it all yet...

I would like to have one fits all..adaptors will be needed

I got the trust in under the new reg..does suppressor purchase need to be done prior also. some of it gets kinda confusing.

900 bucks..fuk..im gonna put it on a 500$ rifle..dammit man
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:42 pm

near as I can tell most all of em are 1/2 28 thread...so everything I wanna put one on has the same barrel thread....and the American 357 will someday too I reckon. cuz that bolt gun gotta have one [smilie=011.gif]
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

MomentArms

Post by MomentArms » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Can has to be post marked before the day of reckoning. It truly is the time to buy one, if you don't have one, if your going the trust route. Of course this is one of the few times " for the children" apply applies !

Sent from the Digital Underground

better2have&notneed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by better2have&notneed » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Since dieselbeef asked...
It's my opinion if you want a "one size fits all" can then get a Hybrid for most everything EXCEPT .22 and a can for .22 I have an AAC Element2 which is really good.
As you know, .22 is dirty. Cleaning .22 baffles is no fun, and you definitely do not want that mess in a sealed pistol/rifle can.

I assume .357 would be ok in the Hybrid, but a call to Silencerco would answer be best.

The Hybrid has many mounting options like: pistol pistons, 3 lug, Silencerco muzzle brakes,
AAC 51t muzzle brakes (with adaptor http://tarheelstatefirearms.com/store/i ... uct_id=281),
and direct thread 1/2x28 or 5/8x24...which you can get thread adaptors for other threads like I did for my AK barrels-14x1L to 5/8x24, which screws into the 5/8x24 direct thread for the can.
The Hybrid also has different size endcaps: .223, .30, 9mm, and .46
Yeah you'll spend a chunk of money on brakes, mounting options, and encaps...I always watch ebay and GB for cheap used 51t brakes.

I got a Hybrid mainly for .30 cal for my AK's, but found out it's pretty versatile. I've shot it on my 9mm pistol, 9mm AR with 3 lug, 12" AK's, and got the parts to mount it on rifles with AAC 51t brakes.

If you have any questions about it, just ask...I've been researching Hybrid parts for a few months now.

Most of my endcaps and mounts:

Silencerco MAAD 51t-Titanium adaptor-AAC 51t brake:

Most of the Hybrid's options:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco ... oster2.pdf

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:55 pm

oh lord...I don't think ill be needing all that different stuff...

does any suppressor need to have a barrel adaptor? or can it just be screwed on and left on....like if I only wanna use it on one rifle...

what makes one better than the other....suppressing 22 isn't as imp as the rifles to me....ill build one for those. I know I gotta reg it

so whats the deadline..and hows it gonna be different then vs prior..cuz the more I read..the more confused I get. ill be seeing the trust lawyer this week so he should be able to help
im the other gary...

einstein

better2have&notneed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by better2have&notneed » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:47 pm

The thing with direct thread is the can tends to come loose often. You don't wanna be tightening up a 400 plus degree can every 5 rounds....lots of cans use muzzle brakes specific to that can to attach it to your rifle. There are cans that are direct thread only. If you get a .30 cal can, it's likely threaded 5/8x24. You can shoot .223 thru it, but most .223 barrels are 12x28, so you'll need an adapter for female 1/2x28 to male 5/8x24 to use the .30 can on .223.

Just my opinion again, why limit yourself to one caliber now to save some money...if you get a $600 .223 or .30 cal can now then in the future want a 9mm can rated for the .357 you gotta buy the new can and another $200 to the ATF.

I got lots of crap for my hybrid, but I can use it on every pistol/rifle I have that is threaded (except .22)
You wouldn't need all that.
The Hybrid comes with the 5/8x24 direct thread, so all you'd need is an adaptor 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 or the 1/2x28 Hybrid direct thread.
It also comes with the .46 endcap, which is the largest diameter opening endcap. You don't have to get the .223 endcap, but it might be a little louder with the .46
Same with .357 if your barrel is threaded 1/2x28, just screw it on and use the .46 endcap.

The 41p rules start July 13, so you need your forms submitted before that.

I'd do a poor job of explaining 41p, so I won't. Here's a decent write up:
http://www.nfafa.org/atf41p.cfm
And yeah it's confusing...

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:06 pm

glad im not just stupid..tho I might be a little...its hard to figure out what is the diff between now and then cept for the leo part...but I thought with the trust I don't need that..

I don't think I can buy one in a months time
im the other gary...

einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:07 pm

You can get a trust done at Silencer Shop for $129....

Why people pay an attorney for anything more is beyond me
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:it depends on what you want to suppress ?? there are only a couple do all can's out there
"Do-All" cans, don't.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:20 am

Rentprop1 wrote:You can get a trust done at Silencer Shop for $129....

Why people pay an attorney for anything more is beyond me
jeff young did it for 100 bucks thru email..was very easy and they are very helpful.
im the other gary...

einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:47 am

John K wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:it depends on what you want to suppress ?? there are only a couple do all can's out there
"Do-All" cans, don't.
well they satisfy the buyer that they work ( somewhat ) on all their guns ....better answer.....lol

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:08 pm

The problems with a do-all can:

-- A rifle can will not cycle on a handgun. (The exception is .22RF cans.)

-- A handgun can might blow up on a rifle due to the higher pressure.

-- Rifle cans (again, due to the higher pressure) are heavier and often will not cycle on handguns.

-- A do-all can's bore must be large enough to clear the largest caliber you want to use; when you shoot a smaller caliber, you will get blow-by that greatly increases the sound signature. It will always be louder -- sometimes unsafely so -- than a can designed for a specific application.

While saving money is great, I prefer owning suppressors that are hearing-safe and also allow the host gun to cycle 100% reliably.

That means a dedicated .22 can, a centerfire handgun can and a centerfire rifle can, at the least.

Your Mileage May Vary.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:39 pm

wheres iron man..doesn't he build or sell silencers or something like that...

I am rpobly getting ahead of myself...prices to get what I wouldlike to have are likely gonna keep me from getting one. id like one for the 357 rifle...and one for the ar's..2 stamps and 2 silencers if I go caliber specific. barrel threading. the further I dig the bigger the hole. quite a bit more involved than I really thought it would be

good topic cracker...informative
im the other gary...

einstein

better2have&notneed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by better2have&notneed » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:48 pm

I completely respect Tony and John's experience and knowledge.

You definitely need a dedicated .22 can.

From my limited time with the the Hybrid is that yes it is heavier than a pistol can. It's about twice as heavy as my Ti-Rant9, but it does cycle 100% on my 9mm HK P30L. With 147 grain 9mm, I'd say the Hybrid (with 9mm endcap) is just a little louder than the Ti-Rant9.

When I shot the Hybrid on my 12" AK47 I didn't have the 7.62 endcap and had to wear ear pro due to other shooters, so I couldn't tell just how quiet it was....and it didn't blow up!

When it get's out of jail, I really want to see how quiet it is on my .223 bolt gun compared to my M4-2000.

IMHO, if you don't have money for multiple centerfire cans, the Hybrid might just fit the bill.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Update on atf 41p as it relates to NFA items and trust. One bad thing is every time you buy an item you will need to do fingerprints and photograph regardless of the "2 year rule". One good thing is grandfathered in is by post mark. So as long as you have you item bought and your paperwork sent before July 13 when the rule takes effect your application will be processed as normal. Anything bought after July 13 you will have to jump through the new hoops. Moral of the story buy get your trust and buy your silencer ASAP before July 13. $100 flat fee.
http://blog.silencershop.com/details-atf-41f/
im the other gary...

einstein

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:42 pm

ah the fsn shoot...that's what got all this started...I blame all of you...

did gage shoot that? I know he shot a 22 and an ar I think..but you guys let him shoot stuff I didn't even see so...

if I was to get the hybrid style..would buying the adaptors for different guns require a stamp and another jack job after july ...or could I just buy adaptors after to fit whatever. I would already own the silencer grandfathered in
im the other gary...

einstein

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:54 pm

dieselbeef wrote:ah the fsn shoot...that's what got all this started...I blame all of you...

did gage shoot that? I know he shot a 22 and an ar I think..but you guys let him shoot stuff I didn't even see so...

if I was to get the hybrid style..would buying the adaptors for different guns require a stamp and another jack job after july ...or could I just buy adaptors after to fit whatever. I would already own the silencer grandfathered in
As of now, Banning All The Fun isn't cracking down on regulating thread adapters. You can purchase different adapters to attach a hybrid suppressor to pretty much any host you like.

IIRC, Gage shot our integral Ruger MK and integral AR in 5.56.