how to sbr w/o trust

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

how to sbr w/o trust

Post by NonConformist » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:56 pm

Now that the Cleo signoffs gone, assuming the new way is officially official, how do I take an existing lower already in my possession and register it as an sbr?
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

Sweep

Re: how to sbr w/o trust

Post by Sweep » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:01 pm

file a form 1 with your info
Democrat's for Trump ...Anybody but Hillery even Jack the Dog !
Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Sweep wrote:file a form 1 with your info
That's it? Awesome
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:09 pm

dont forget you will need a finger print card and passport photo with the form and your $200
Democrat's for Trump ...Anybody but Hillery even Jack the Dog !
Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:10 pm

I wouldn't totally dismiss a trust (if you already have one) from a legal standpoint. Check with an attorney as to benefits.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:22 pm

870Mike wrote:I wouldn't totally dismiss a trust (if you already have one) from a legal standpoint. Check with an attorney as to benefits.
Only real benefit is of you wanna share it with someone or your planning to die soon.....lol

BTW ....I have plenty of fingerprint cards going on ebay as soon as the May-June rush begins......at $2 each ....min of 3 ...with $3 shipping .....just because [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Wow I had no idea no Cleo sign off was passed. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a 10" BCM SBR
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:57 pm

No bashing, if I do a SBR and the form 1, buy the lower and register it first? Wait till its approved and then buy the upper?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Gregh181 wrote:No bashing, if I do a SBR and the form 1, buy the lower and register it first? Wait till its approved and then buy the upper?
That's safest, or you can keep parts in two different locations.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 pm

This Cleo notification now, I don't have to wait till July to take advantage of it or do I have to wait till then? I might just register my current lower and wait it out

NRA Benefactor Member

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01 am

Currently, With a trust you dont need a CLEO sign off ...after July 13th you could either do a trust or register it personally .

If you wanna register personally now and can't get CLEO or don't wanot to mess with a trust , you'll have to wait till July 13th to send anything in......buy anything you want now , no need to have to keep anything separate . ...it's just another stripped lower or shorter barrel for a future pistol build.......constructive possession is the internet ATF armchair boogeyman man =:wvr

the word on the streets the wait times will be back up to about 6 months or more because off all the people in the counties that CLEO wouldn't sign and those who didn't want the hassle of.paying for a trust will flood the ATF with applications.

IMHO....If you are a younger guy a trust makes sense if you wanna share it with someone or leave it to a family member.....Silencer Shop offers a prepared NFA TRUST now for $129. .....if you have no family or wanna die with a lot of toys and don't care....do it personally

Just a tip if you do a trust keep the name of it as short as possible because you'll have to have name and city, St engraved on the side of the lower.

No one wants The Robert James Brown Revocable Family Trust on the side of their gun......but RJB Firearms Tust looks a lot cooler.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:45 am

Ok so wait till July then. You have to engrave the lower even if you don't have a trust right? I just bought 2 sets of fingerprint cards, I'm gonna get a passport photo from cvs, print out the form 1, and fill it out 3 times? I know I have to forward a copy of the form 1 to Orange County sheriff and send the ATF two copies of the form 1.

NRA Benefactor Member

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Gregh181 wrote:You have to engrave the lower even if you don't have a trust right?
yes if you do it personally ....first name, middle initial, and last name, then city and state

we use a guy in Alachua... you can mail it to and he does an awesome job.
he has an FFL and can send it directly back to you, all for $ 36 I think plus shipping, he prefers USPS and that you ship it stripped ...PM me if you want his e-mail and contact info

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Gregh181 wrote:You have to engrave the lower even if you don't have a trust right?
yes if you do it personally ....first name, middle initial, and last name, then city and state

we use a guy in Alachua... you can mail it to and he does an awesome job.
he has an FFL and can send it directly back to you, all for $ 36 I think plus shipping, he prefers USPS and that you ship it stripped ...PM me if you want his e-mail and contact info
I'm likely moving next year to Georgia or Tenn, how would that effect the engraving? And yes Rent please PM the contact info. I have until july to get all my ducks in order

NRA Benefactor Member

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:..buy anything you want now , no need to have to keep anything separate . ...it's just another stripped lower or shorter barrel for a future pistol build.......constructive possession is the internet ATF armchair boogeyman man =:wvr .
It happens...and it's still a violation. I woudn't do anything to potentially risk losing my rights/freedom:

Florida Man Charged With Constructive Possession

http://blog.princelaw.com/2009/9/1/flor ... of-an-sbr/

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Gregh181 wrote:
I'm likely moving next year to Georgia or Tenn, how would that effect the engraving?
sorry can't answer that one

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:51 pm

870Mike wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:..buy anything you want now , no need to have to keep anything separate . ...it's just another stripped lower or shorter barrel for a future pistol build.......constructive possession is the internet ATF armchair boogeyman man =:wvr .
It happens...and it's still a violation. I woudn't do anything to potentially risk losing my rights/freedom:

Florida Man Charged With Constructive Possession

http://blog.princelaw.com/2009/9/1/flor ... of-an-sbr/
I'm sure lining everything up and taking pics in a For Sale ad carries a lot more weight that simply possessing 3/4 of the components to assemble another firearm.....now if all you had was a 16 inch AR and another 11.5 complete upper, and NO lower present , someone might have som' esplanin to do Lucy...but its a stretch....just don't advertise it [smilie=011.gif] , or worst case, don't put it together and post pics on the net with phrases like , just mocking it up for when my stamp comes back for internet attention :ham'r

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 am

Gregh181 wrote:
I'm likely moving next year to Georgia or Tenn, how would that effect the engraving?
As the maker (on a Form 1), you only engrave once.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Looks like I got all stuff in order now. Found the new updated form 1

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/ ... m/download

I'm gonna get 2 FBI fingerprint cards done next thurs, take a passport photo.

Just bought the stripped Spikes lower yesterday

Wait until the appropriate day in July and send everything off and just wait. Pretty simple so far really

NRA Benefactor Member

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:47 pm

might wanna research and see if there is a time limit on the fingerprints, I remember something about 30 days prior, or that might have something to do with them being purged out of livescan after 30 days if no agency claims them...not 100 % sure, just so you wouldn't have to do it twice.....

I know when I applied for my FFL I had to do the livescan, months later I tried to recall them for some 2nd Hand Dealers license for the State of FL and the prints were no available and I had to go have them done again at an additional $ 10...wasn't the $$ but the time and hassle.