Did a little suppressed vs Air rifle comparison today

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Did a little suppressed vs Air rifle comparison today

Post by flashooter22 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:15 pm

So this was VERY UN-SCIENTIFIC!!!! MY FIL has a decibel meter that he uses for his remote control planes and other hobbies. Not sure how accurate it is but its probably in the general vicinity. We were shooting in the basement and just laid the meter about 5 feet on the right side of the shooter.
We decided to compare the sound of a suppressed .22 with his air rifle. The air rifle is a Benjamin Marauder. This is not a pellet gun. This thing launches a .25 caliber 25grn pellet at 900FPS and can take a lizards head off at 20 yards all day long. It filled from a scuba tank and bolt action. We compared it to my RugerMKII 22/45 with a 4.5 inch barrel and my Savage FV-SR. I used my new Silencerco SS Sparrow suppressor.

The marauder averaged 111DB.
The Ruger was at 110DB
The Savage was at 108DB

Pretty interesting!!
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Did a little suppressed vs Air rifle comparison today

Post by Ironman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Gunshots require a high-end calibrated db meter.( Like over $3,000) It has to do with the frequency duration.

Your numbers are a tad low, but not much. At least your test while not giving true numbers tells you that the air rifle is close in sound levels. :ber