Sell as an SBR or not?

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Sell as an SBR or not?

Post by captain steinbrenner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:04 am

Guys I want to sell my DRACO SBR, is in a FORM 1 but I'm not familiar with the process.
What you guys think sell it as an SBR or blind pin a barrel extension and take it out of the NFA registry?
Can somebody with experience chime in please?
I don't even know how many taxes have to be paid to transfer it on SBR configuration. :-k
Thanks in advance.
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Sell as an SBR or not?

Post by Pizzim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 am

IIRC one 1 unless it goes out of state then it would be two .... transfer would be via form 4

Im sure someone else will chime in ... Sweep, Tony .... All i did was stay at a holiday inn last night
"you cant miss fast enough to win" " Don't slow down, Just aim faster"

Two Brothers Armory FFL 07/02
www.twobrothersarmory.com

ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ipscscott » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:36 am

just sell it as an SBR instate. If it goes out of state there will be 2 transfer taxes. If you'd like to PM me with details, I may know of a buyer.
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226

Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Scott please pm me.
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Mr. Smith » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Pizzim wrote:I’m sure someone else will chime in ... Sweep, Tony .... All i did was stay at a holiday inn last night.
This is exactly what I was going to post. Only change that I might have made is to add Moe and maybe a couple of others. No matter how many people you name someone will feel left out – But then again, I didn’t even sleep at a Holliday Inn last night!
[smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]
Smith
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Pizzim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Id thought about doing a form 1 on a draco but never got around to it. If Scott doesnt have a buyer for you i would be interested in knowing the price
"you cant miss fast enough to win" " Don't slow down, Just aim faster"

Two Brothers Armory FFL 07/02
www.twobrothersarmory.com

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Yes, it can be returned to Title 1 status, NFA notified, and sold as a "regular" firearm.

I wouldn't do that. Because of all the pending and proposed legislative changes.

Under the current legislation proposed by Diane Feinstein, if it is returned to Title 1 status and the bill passes as it is written, the new non-SBR must be registered as an NFA item -- but it will never be allowed to be transferred again. Instead, when the current owner (the buyer) dies, it must be surrendered and destroyed.

Under the accepted current reading of the same proposed legislation, that "no transfer" ban may or may not apply to existing registered SBRs.

So it's entirely possible that returning it to Title 1 status means it will be destroyed, while retaining its SBR status may mean it will still lawfully be around generations from now.

Given all the uncertainty, I definitely would not "un-register" any SBRs until we see what happens with all this pending legislation.

Your Mileage May Vary.