Are micro silencers a viable option on a bolt gun?

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Are micro silencers a viable option on a bolt gun?

Post by Ironman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm

I was asked this same question last week by a gentleman on thehighroad.org and I just got around to filming a quick video for him. I was surprised by the results!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WpurHlbY_w

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Are micro silencers a viable option on a bolt gun?

Post by tony k » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Very nice video. I'm a big fan of suppressed .22 bolt guns. They literally are as quiet as a firearm can get, and often meter well under airguns.

FWIW, when I need quiet, reliable, accurate .22 ammo ... my fave is Eley Subsonic Plus Hollow Xtra. Great, great ammo, though expensive. Very quiet (much moreso than the Rem), never a dud round, and the HP does expand if needed.

I must have tried 20 different subsonic offerings. The Eley beat out RWS and everything else. I plink with the Rem Subsonic, but if I'm hunting or accuracy counts, I've got a bunch of bricks of the Eley socked away.

BTW, the Eley is consistently accurate with a suppressor out to 100 yards with my LRM Vidar, 16" Mossberg 142 carbine and my Marvel Match conversion on the Wilson Combat 1911. I haven't bothered to waste it in my minute-of-barn P22, but I expect the Eley will be equally accurate with my incoming German Walther PPK/S .22RF. [smilie=011.gif]

HTH.

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 pm

BTW, before I discovered the Eley, my favorite for reliability and consistent quiet was the PMC Moderator, also fairly accurate but not in the Eley's ballpark. I haven't tried any other brands in recent years, tho.

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for the info and I hate you.....That PPK .22lr is a gem!

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 pm

LOL! I've been looking for one for like 10 years, but I didn't want to pay $1k plus.

Came across one on gunbroker that had been listed and delisted for months ... Offered the seller $675 to close the auction, and he accepted.

That's one more crossed off my bucket list.

It 's gonna cost me more than $200 to have the barrel properly extended and threaded, but hey ....

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:54 pm

$675!!!!!!! =D> wow

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01 am

BTW I would love to be able to shoot that suppressed one day. I've been eyeing them as well......

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Hey tony! Just found a 1971 PPK .22lr! I'm in the process of buying it!

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Ironman wrote:Hey tony! Just found a 1971 PPK .22lr! I'm in the process of buying it!
Cool! Maybe we can have a shootout!

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:09 am

Can you send me info on where you sent your gun for threading? Did you buy a new barrel to thread and keep the stock one intact? Adam

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Ironman wrote:Can you send me info on where you sent your gun for threading? Did you buy a new barrel to thread and keep the stock one intact? Adam
You want the good news ... or the bad news?

First, the bad news: It's almost impossible to find replacement barrels for the PP/PPK/PPS series. In addition, they are a press-fit barrel with a retaining pin. Even if you drive the pin out, it's almost impossible to remove the barrel without damage unless you have a very pricey factory tool, and the knowledge of how to use it. I sure would not try that myself at home, even if I had someone to hold my beer.

I'm still waiting to take possession of mine (too many FFLs involved; long story) but when I do, I'm sending the entire gun off to Mike at Tornado Technologies. This is the good news. He is a very, very talented guy whom I trust 100%, and he has been removing, extending, threading 1/2x28, and re-installing Walther PP/PPK/PPKS barrels for a long time. His web site is at http://www.tornado-technologies.com/ He charges $175, which includes a thread protector.

The second bad news is that it's really expensive for a non-FFL to ship a handgun, so if you know an FFL who will do it for ya, you prolly can save another $30-50 on shipping.

Here are pix of a Walther TPH that Mike extended and threaded:

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah I just got an email reply from Goldie at TT. $175 but I'm waiting to hear back on a lead time before I commit. It took a long time to get my 92fs job done through them in the past. Thanks Tony!