SBR barrel length question

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
stratman

SBR barrel length question

Post by stratman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:40 pm

My SBR is written as a10.5 barrel, any issues with switching to an 11 inch barrel?

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Re: SBR barrel length question

Post by Pizzim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Short answer is no .... some people will say to keep the 10.5" barrel so you can return it to the registered length but changing the barrel is not a permanent change
"you cant miss fast enough to win" " Don't slow down, Just aim faster"

Two Brothers Armory FFL 07/02
www.twobrothersarmory.com

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 am

No real issue. However, it has been recommended to send an addendum to the atf outlining all possible lengths and calibers you ever may wish to run. I did so after my first Form 1, and included one with my second. I think I have mine listed with 6 different lengths and 3 calibers to cover all bases.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

stratman

Post by stratman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Good deal. No idea what to send to who to notify them tho.

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 pm

stratman wrote:Good deal. No idea what to send to who to notify them tho.
Just type up a short letter to the ATF NFA branch in WV (2 copies) explaining what you want to do. I labeled mine as "Addendum to ATF Form 1". Include the make and model, and description of the gun in its' current configuration. Then just write something to the effect of:

"I would like to have the NFA registry show that I may occasionally use a:
X caliber barrel in X inch length

Please return one copy of this addendum for my records to me.
Thank you,
I. Sam Gonnashoot"
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

BMW GUY
Life Member
Life Member

Post by BMW GUY » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Is there a fee you have to pay for the addendum ?

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Pizzim » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm

There is no "addendum" for barrel length changes as it is not a permanent change .... there for there is no "fee"

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:00 am

when I SBR my AR i will have it noted as both a 14.5" and an 11" barrel( I want a commando LOL)
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Pizzim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 am

NonConformist wrote:when I SBR my AR i will have it noted as both a 14.5" and an 11" barrel( I want a commando LOL)
I would suggest against that on a Form 1 as there is a good chance it will be sent back to you

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Pizzim wrote:
NonConformist wrote:when I SBR my AR i will have it noted as both a 14.5" and an 11" barrel( I want a commando LOL)
I would suggest against that on a Form 1 as there is a good chance it will be sent back to you
Correct. Although they went through in the past and still do occasionally get through by mistake, current NFA Branch policy is to reject any Form 1 with more than one dimension in each box.

This is because the Form 1 is an "Application to Make and Register a(n NFA) Firearm". ATF considers the initial assembly to be the act of "making", and they want to know the configuration for that initial assembly. Unless you can figure out a way to put two barrels on simultaneously, pick one.

Of course, once the SBR is "made," you may lawfully change to any other configuration immediately, without notifying ATF.

If you really, really want other lengths/calibers on your Form 1, you can list them in Box4h. Though I would caution against doing so -- the more "optional" info you volunteer to ATF, the more chances you give them to reject your application. Use the KISS principle.

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:49 pm

thats easy then, it'll be a 14.5" before an 11 so Ill just put that, thanks!
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Pizzim » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:04 pm

A rule of thumb ive always followed ..... the length listed on the form 1 should be the shortest barreled upper you ever plan to use

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Pizzim wrote:A rule of thumb ive always followed ..... the length listed on the form 1 should be the shortest barreled upper you ever plan to use
With all due respect ... That's fine for an arbitrary rule of thumb, but it has no application in federal law.

A rifle either has a barrel over 16", in which case it is a Title 1 firearm, or a barrel under 16", in which case it is a Title 2 NFA item requiring registration. Once registered as an SBR, it may lawfully be used with any length barrel, from 0.1" to 36' or whatever, and it remains legally registered as an SBR, unless or until you permanently restore it to Title 1 configuration and notify ATF of having done so.

There are no varying degrees of SBR-ness, otherwise we would have many NFA classes instead of one (Short-Barrelled Rifle; Slightly Shorter Barrelled Rifle; Extremely Short Barrelled Rifle; etc.). An SBR is an SBR.

It not unlike a vehicle -- do you need to re-register it with the state when you paint a white car silver, or swap in a V8 in place of the 6-banger? No, because the base vehicle remains the same, and thus the registration is valid.

So it is absolutely correct and lawful to register it as an SBR with a 15.9" barrel, build it as such, and sixty seconds later permanently swap on a 7" barrel. An SBR is an SBR; the Form 1 only lists the specifications for the moment it was first assembled.

HTH.