German Shepherds and Home Insurance Providers

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
11b250

Post by 11b250 »

Didn't even know it changes your insurance premium... I will keep this one to myself. lol
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

Good thing you can’t lose your house to a lawsuit in Florida. And if you get bit on my property there was a reason, ala youre there when you shouldn’t be.

Prove my dog is a GSD....he’s not registered w the AKC.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Say your pup is an AUSTRIAN SHEPHERD. :lol:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

FSUnoles wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:50 pm Good thing you can’t lose your house to a lawsuit in Florida. And if you get bit on my property there was a reason, ala youre there when you shouldn’t be.

Prove my dog is a GSD....he’s not registered w the AKC.

you can lose your house if a judgement takes so much of your
money you can't pay for it !
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Slartibartfast wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 pm
FSUnoles wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 pm My GSD is a lab...according to my homeowners insurance. They’ll never know.

that works great until something happens like the dog biting
someone. had a neighbor that did that for years claiming his
pitbull was some kind of mix and one day it attacked some kid
handing out flyers door to door.

the cops and animal control came out and later the kids family
sued him. his home owners sent out an investigator who spoke
to all his neighbors and confirmed it was indeed a pitbull. they
denied coverage and the guy lost everything including his house
in the lawsuit !
Moral of the story, control your dog.
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

Just before the insurance guy shows up, give the dog something to calm it down.
I once had a huge and sometimes aggressive 100 lb boxer.
One beer and he was asleep.
If it works, then just drag the dog out of sight.
If it snores as loud as mine, blame it on grandpaw.
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

I was under the impression that it's possible to have as much insurance as you can afford.
Dogs, swimming pools, whatever.
Want it covered, add the coverage and write a bigger check.
Of course, remember who you are dealing with.
Insurance companies, the human version of a weasel.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Slartibartfast wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 pm
FSUnoles wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 pm My GSD is a lab...according to my homeowners insurance. They’ll never know.

that works great until something happens like the dog biting
someone. had a neighbor that did that for years claiming his
pitbull was some kind of mix and one day it attacked some kid
handing out flyers door to door.

the cops and animal control came out and later the kids family
sued him. his home owners sent out an investigator who spoke
to all his neighbors and confirmed it was indeed a pitbull. they
denied coverage and the guy lost everything including his house
in the lawsuit !
I can understand losing alot. But if his home was homesteaded how did he lose it. His home would have been protected from forced sale to satisfy a judgement under Florida's homestead law.
The Florida homestead exemption is a provision in Article X, Section 4 of the Florida Constitution that provides Florida residents valuable legal benefits and protection.

In asset protection planning, the Florida homestead exemption protects a Florida resident’s primary home from levy and execution by their judgment creditors. A judgment creditor cannot force the sale of your homestead to satisfy a money judgment. A recorded judgment does not attach to a debtor’s homestead. For the Florida homestead exemption, Courts have liberally expanded definitions of homestead property to include more than just a single family house. Condominiums, manufactured homes, and mobile homes are also afforded homestead protection in Florida.

The Florida Constitution defines homestead as one’s principal place of residence up to one-half acre within a municipality and up to 160 contiguous acres outside a municipality. Contiguous property may include lots with separate legal descriptions and separate tax numbers.
Now here is where people can screwup. Parents say put their child on the deed of their home. But the child does not actually live on the homesteaded property. Then child get's sued. Guess what....parent's just got screwed.
Co-ownership of a homestead can jeopardize the homestead exemption when one of the co-owners does not reside on the property. A judgment creditor of the non-resident co-owner can force the property to be sold.

For example, assume a married couple puts their child on the title to their homestead for “estate planning” purposes so that the child is a co-owner. If the child resides elsewhere, he is not entitled to homestead protection of the parents’ residence. A judgment creditor of the child in that situation can levy upon the child’s ownership share of the parents’ house and force the house to be sold at auction. The auction proceeds would be allocated between the child’s creditor and the parents
Dogs can be tricky also. It really does not matter what kind of dog you have. Even if it's not on their restricted list. If the insurance company comes out to assess your homes value and you have any kind of aggressive dog. Does not matter what kind. They can use it against you to deny coverage.

My neighbor had a lab that would bite strangers. Adjustor could not go into fenced in area because of dog. They were denied
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Firemedic2000 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:57 pm
I can understand losing alot. But if his home was homesteaded how did he lose it. His home would have been protected from forced sale to satisfy a judgement under Florida's homestead law.

he didn't lose the house in the courts, he lost it because
after the judgement he couldn't pay for it and it went into
foreclosure.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Slartibartfast wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:34 pm
Firemedic2000 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:57 pm

he didn't lose the house in the courts, he lost it because
after the judgement he couldn't pay for it and it went into
foreclosure.
That really sucks that you can be sued into pretty much poverty
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS