Anyone flown Allegiant with a checked firearm?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
draggindakota

Anyone flown Allegiant with a checked firearm?

Post by draggindakota »

I'm flying out to KY for a funeral and I've never checked a gun before. I've read the Allegiant rules and the TSA rules just looking for some first hand experiences as I've seen some bad stories with them on the webz.

Am I right that I can use the factory S&W hard case as a travel case? Ammo locked in the same case is okay right? That part is a little grey to me in the Allegiant rules.

Either way I'm planning to print multiple copies of both to take to the gate with me.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Walk straight to the check-in counter and let them know you’re checking a firearm. Hard case with a TSA lock required last time I flew with my guns...several years ago.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

dammitgriff wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 pm Walk straight to the check-in counter and let them know you’re checking a firearm. Hard case with a TSA lock required last time I flew with my guns...several years ago.
DO NOT USE A TSA LOCK, you need to your own padlock key/combo lock that IS NOT a TSA Lock. Gun should be empty, ammo in approved a container which I usually just use the ammo box that the bullets were originally packed in for sale. I always add a spare lock/locks into the hard case.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

If I recall, TSA inspected the case and its contents and tagged it before I checked it at OIA. I was instructed to lock it with TSA locks, which I didn’t want to do.
Your way is better.
Imagine the fallout from having a firearm stolen by the very people taxpayers fund to keep firearms out of the airlines. You would have zero liability and no firearm.
Cwt7691

Post by Cwt7691 »

Lastrites is very correct. I fly 3-5 times a month and check my roscos' on 90 percent of trips. I have purchased and learned a 2 lock case is best and factory ammo box is best. I even put gun locks thru firearms inside locked case. I have found when the Desk Agents see the "extra" locks it seems to calm them. Also a copy of the TSA Regs and Airline Regs highlighted. These extra steps are after issues at the desk with uniformed employees who have had me called back to TSA from gate, back to desk or holding my luggage . This of course has had me miss flights,delayed luggage and way to many questions by 12 dollar a hour Tsa idiots not following regs.

My personal advise to all

**********Most important make sure where you going allows your guns,mag and ammo **********

1- Arrive 1 hour extra earlier than posted suggested checkin/arrival times---------3 hours Orlando------ just in case you have to Educate!

2- 2 lock gun case--- 2 non TSA locks--don't be cheap on case even if it is a long gun buy a good one!==I have had 1 rifle ran over and 1 dropped out of cheaper cases == Pelican now is the go to

3- ammo in factory box or boxes

4- BIGGIE-- copies of TSA and Airline firearm regs Highlighted ( 1 have 2 copies of each)

5- if multiple guns, all go in same case even if it is a long gun with a pistol....don't ask how I learned this

6 - Keep count of your ammo before and after your departure or arrival---know how many rounds used-- you dont want errant round in luggage or coat or pants at xray, bullets seem to slip in unnoticed

7- make note of desk agents name and time

8 - check all of this 3 times and have 2 sets of keys for locks in separate places-- I have them all keyed alike

Hope this helps

I have learned the hard way. These are based on 35 years of travel with firearms.

Semper Fi
Member since the early days
Semper Fi
photohause

Post by photohause »

^^^one more thing, take pics of the ammo box contents-number of rounds. Take epics of the guns & locks, especially if they wish to inspect them-pics while they are inspecting.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Yes, case with the firearms must be openable by only you- non-TSA lock. If you put that case in another case (backpack, etc) it must have a TSA lock. Ammo in factory box in the outer case.

I take the slides off to make it quite clear that it's inoperable. I let the agent tell me where they want the form, in the backpack, in the locked case, taped to the locked case, they all seem to have different ideas and it's not worth fighting- you did the form, you did your part...

Been called back once to open the backpack (it had a TSA lock?) to show that the ammo box was not in the case... They put both pieces through the machine separately and then reassembled.

Also, if they lose your luggage they won't deliver it with a firearm in it... So you have a choice after landing, mention the firearm early in case it never shows up and you need to fight insurance or don't and preserve the delivery of the luggage if they find it.
boomboom

Post by boomboom »

Once TSA is happy with your firearm and case, you lock the case with your own lock. TSA or anyone else has no business, or right to enter that case. TSA does however have the right to enter your luggage so the use of a TSA approved lock is recommended. This way only TSA has access to your luggage only, not the gun case, and not the baggage goons or anyone else.
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

for what it's worth. There is a concern ammo may somehow discharge. I have been asked to empty mags. I also just use the factory type ammo boxes with the individual polystyrene holes. I found master padlocks at home depot with about 1.24 inch long shackles. That goes completely around the handle of the typical glock or beretta type hard case. That seems a bit more secure than a lock in the corner of a case. You are supposed to have the only key to the case. I suggest a spare with a traveling companion. I don't use a pelican or other serious cases cuz they take up more room in the suitcase and if everything disappears, well the box doesn't matter.
draggindakota

Post by draggindakota »

Thanks for all the info. Flying out was a breeze, they didn't even ask me to open the case. Just showed that it was padlocked and asked if it was unloaded.