Insurance companies are basically scum...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Insurance companies are basically scum...

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Sooo...get a call from MY ins. co. today inquiring about my accident on 9/24... :!: :?:

I call them immediately and state "I wasn't in an accident on 9/24 or any other day".

Ins. Co: "Do you own a 1998 Honda Accord?"

Me: "No. I sold that back in Apr. I informed you it was sold when I cancelled its' policy".

Ins. Co: "Well, the car was involved in an accident on 9/24, YOU are the last record of insured. Can you prove you sold this vehicle?"

Me: *$@#*&$ YOU AND YOUR MOTHER!!!

Long story short...dirtbag I sold it to never re-registered or insured, then rear-ends someone.

Insurance co. (for the driver who was rear-ended) gets the police report...no mention of my name anywhere on it...searches some insurance-industry-only database, finds out I'm the last one to have insurance, and FILES A CLAIM AGAINST ME!!

Now I have to spend MY time digging up something to prove I sold it. Will have to order a copy of the form I sent to DMV (Notice of Sale of Motor Vehicle) and hope they have a copy.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Do I have a bad faith claim against either company?

/rant
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

No. This kind of thing happens all the time. There is a portion of the title that you can remove that says you sold it, but the better practice is always go to the tag office with the buyer and watch him to the transfer.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Gmountain wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:43 pm No. This kind of thing happens all the time. There is a portion of the title that you can remove that says you sold it, but the better practice is always go to the tag office with the buyer and watch him to the transfer.
I sent in BOTH the form from the title AND the downloadable form from DMV (Notice of Sale or Transfer of a Motor Vehicle), along with the plate. Why didn't the carrier check with them? "Nope...not our responsibility" said the claim rep.

The only thing those grease-maggots want to know is "Who's gonna pay?" :evil:

I am too busy to wait in line at DMV with some dirt-bag filth, let alone trying to schedule something like that. Transaction took place on a Sun. in my driveway...he lives 1 hr. away.
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

What license plate was on the car at the crash? That was on the police report, wasn't it?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Iosef wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:13 pm What license plate was on the car at the crash? That was on the police report, wasn't it?
I think it was the plate he brought with him to get the vehicle home...borrowed from his father, iirc. I removed my plate before he even showed up.

Among three other charges, including "no insurance ", he was cited for 320.261 ATTACHING TAG (LICENSE PLATE) NOT ASSIGNED.

Just for laughs, I logged-in to my Geico policy and there is a claim listed. I clicked on "Review Claim" and it indicates MY NAME as "owner" and his name as "driver". WTF?!?

Who wants to bet this accident pops up every time I apply for insurance in the future? :evil: :cry: :twisted:
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Do you have a bill of sale for when you sold him the car? Dont really know how much info/proof you can other than this and ins cancellation along with tag submission back to dmv.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Goddamn, I would be beyond pissed if that happened to me. Can't really give you any other advice beyond what's already been said though.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Should have sold it to CarMax. Yeah I know they lowball, but how much will you have saved in time and aggravation?
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Insurance companies are businesses. All they care about is the bottom line. You don't have an emotional connection with them, just a commercial one.
We collected a substantial amount from our auto insurer when one of their agents tried to screw us. And we still have a policy with them because the terms are better than anyone else, if a bit expensive. No hard feelings on either side.

DMV should have your information online. maybe.

Vehicle info check: https://services.flhsmv.gov/mvcheckweb/

But they do say you should have gone to the tax collector's office with the buyer:

https://flhsmv.gov/dmv/transfer.html

I’m transferring ownership to someone.

If you have sold a vehicle titled in Florida and need to transfer it to new ownership, one of the following situations will apply.

If you have the title in your possession, complete the section transferring title by seller. Go with the new owner to your local tax collector’s office to ensure the vehicle is transferred out of your name and into theirs.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Cubanstang50 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 am Do you have a bill of sale for when you sold him the car? Dont really know how much info/proof you can other than this and ins cancellation along with tag submission back to dmv.
Yes. I did everything by the book. Bill of sale, Notice of Transfer to DMV & mailed plate to tax collector.