Water Heater Tanks - How Often Do You Drain Yours?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

zeebaron wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:27 pm
nickthefish wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 pm We went tankless and never looked back. The only thing i would recommend is to get one that is big enough for your WHOLE house, especially if more than one person wants to take a shower at the same time.
They are great if you have natural gas coming into your house. Otherwise, they usually require expensive wiring upgrades for electric ones and yearly intensive maintenance of the heating elements to descale them.
bingo, after considering the electric upgrade it wasn't worth it
BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE »

Never and never. 16 years on this one. It's done it's job. Still working. Most new HWH are manufactured by Rheem. They might say something else, but look close. There are a few US made like AO Smith but they are top dollar. On demand with gas go for it. Electric is not worth the savings/cost.
BIG JOE
MARK

Post by MARK »

Just replaced mine after my insurance company stated that my old one was over 25 years old and it might affect my insurance. I never touched it in those years other than to adjust the temp.

My new one (gas) I've had to set the temp to VAC to keep from having scalding water coming out.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

nickthefish wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 pm We went tankless and never looked back. The only thing i would recommend is to get one that is big enough for your WHOLE house, especially if more than one person wants to take a shower at the same time.
Only real advantage is placing heater closer to hot water outlet, so we'd need 3 of them. And a lot of wiring. Or one HUGE one.
Plus I have heard some unfavorable stories about their reliability, especially the Bosch models.
nickthefish

Post by nickthefish »

In the years we have had this one, we haven't had any problems at all. the electrical outlet wasn't expensive at all where it was located and we haven't had to do any maintenance.
Respectfully,
NickTheFish
#FuckCancer #ObamaGate2020 #TrumpTrain2020
photohause

Post by photohause »

I guess the builder did something right, installed an AO Smith in my home.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

nickthefish wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:07 am ...and we haven't had to do any maintenance.
You're supposed to:

[youtube]g_OQAp2_B3c[/youtube]

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

jjk308 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:04 am
Only real advantage is placing heater closer to hot water outlet, so we'd need 3 of them. And a lot of wiring. Or one HUGE one.
Plus I have heard some unfavorable stories about their reliability, especially the Bosch models.
I got shocked by mine (Titan). Thank God I wasn't in the shower. To be fair, part of the blame lies with the "professional electrician" I hired to upgrade my panel.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Louiethelump

Post by Louiethelump »

I just moved into this new house in April of 1999. You mean I am supposed to drain the water heater? After only 19 1/2 years??? It still works fine.
Fastest contact is louiethelump@yahoo.com
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Some people change their oil, some let their engine burn out after 30k miles.